Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

So you are delisting him on the basis he has missed 2023 & 2024 with injury?

On that basis good-bye Lynch, so long Gibcus.

K Mart Richmond would snap him up in no time. Must persevere as this bloke can run and is the tallest man alive. Only if we have a decent prognosis of course, if his back is cooked forever it would be pointless.
I think we have to upgade him from rookie to main list to keep him, in fact I think we had to ask permission this year to keep him as a rookie spot.

If we have to upgrade, he's gone!

K Mart Richmond would snap him up in no time. Must persevere as this bloke can run and is the tallest man alive. Only if we have a decent prognosis of course, if his back is cooked forever it would be pointless.

We have OHB who is also a Cat B, who has played as many games this year at VFL level as what Mate has in his 4 years, and is younger...

Delist this bloke and end these projects.
Soldo came through as a Cat B if memory serves and he was worth it…. Sometimes they work & sometimes they may not…

This bloke has had three years on the list and has not looked remotely like making it at any stage. Isn’t at Div 1 local footy standard, nevermind VFL. Should have ended last year.

It's actually been 4 years on the list. Signed him back in 2020. In round 10 2021 he was listed to play against Willi at a Covid game I attended with barely 50 people, was excited to see what he could do but he never played and wasn't even in the crowd nothing was mentioned about it which was bizarre. Out of his 4 years he missed the start of 2021 playing basketball then was injured rest of season. Could only manage 7 paltry games in 2022 averaging 4 touches and 0.7 marks a game was injured majority of the time. And the last 2 years he's been injured the entire time a part from running a lap in the pre season that had some frothing over the 2nd coming. I'm tipping if Maric wasn't ruck coach he would've been culled end of 2023. Should've been delisted before season ended, baffling that he still is on the books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually been 4 years on the list. Signed him back in 2020. In round 10 2021 he was listed to play against Willi at a Covid game I attended with barely 50 people, was excited to see what he could do but he never played and wasn't even in the crowd nothing was mentioned about it which was bizarre. Out of his 4 years he missed the start of 2021 playing basketball then was injured rest of season. Could only manage 7 paltry games in 2022 averaging 4 touches and 0.7 marks a game was injured majority of the time. And the last 2 years he's been injured the entire time a part from running a lap in the pre season that had some frothing over the 2nd coming. I'm tipping if Maric wasn't ruck coach he would've been culled end of 2023. Should've been delisted before season ended, baffling that he still is on the books.

Embarrassing how we invested in our Ruck stocks recently.

Two Cat B Rookies. Colina a disaster and OHB possibly 18 months away
Ryan a three year deal and is marginally ahead of OHB .
Naismith who was basically a high risk and not even up to standard in reality.

I’m surprised Nankervis hasn’t asked for a trade with the lack of support he’s been given. Then add all the plodders he has around him as well and we’ve really become basically a list of mostly State footballers.

The other reason to keep him of course is because the best reverse indictor on this forum TigerImposter has been against him from the start. So he is sure to be a great player.
Lynch has 200 odd games that give him some grace. Gibcus was a high pick that played well in his first year.

Colina is an ex-basketball player who hasn't played AFL his whole life.

Lynch has 200 odd games that give him some grace. Gibcus was a high pick that played well in his first year.

Colina is an ex-basketball player who hasn't played AFL his whole life.

Correct. But Lynch and Gibcus will be costing us way more to keep on the list. Lynch in salary, Gibcus in draft pick opportunity cost.

Colina is probably costing a really unimportant $150k per year + whatever he eats and drinks over and above a normal sized footballer whilst at the club. Give the guy a chance to play some footy under a conditioning regime not run by the back butcher.

Last edited:
Embarrassing how we invested in our Ruck stocks recently.

Two Cat B Rookies. Colina a disaster and OHB possibly 18 months away
Ryan a three year deal and is marginally ahead of OHB .
Naismith who was basically a high risk and not even up to standard in reality.

I’m surprised Nankervis hasn’t asked for a trade with the lack of support he’s been given. Then add all the plodders he has around him as well and we’ve really become basically a list of mostly State footballers.

They've really dropped the ball on ruckman. It's crazy to think for 50 years we were renowned for having powerhouse dominant rucks one after the other and in the last 35 years aside from Ottens haven't developed a single one. Nank is 30 and with his crash bash style probably 2 more years before he's done. Must pick up a speculative Ruck later in this draft. Hopefully snag another mature aged one from the lower leagues as a psd or msd pick. If Ryan doesn't dramatically improve gonna have to poach one who's currently 2nd fiddle like Ned Moyle at GC. I'd be amazed if Ryan sees out his 3 year deal. Doesn't even show a glimpse.

They've really dropped the ball on ruckman. It's crazy to think for 50 years we were renowned for having powerhouse dominant rucks one after the other and in the last 35 years aside from Ottens haven't developed a single one. Nank is 30 and with his crash bash style probably 2 more years before he's done. Must pick up a speculative Ruck later in this draft. Hopefully snag another mature aged one from the lower leagues as a psd or msd pick. If Ryan doesn't dramatically improve gonna have to poach one who's currently 2nd fiddle like Ned Moyle at GC. I'd be amazed if Ryan sees out his 3 year deal. Doesn't even show a glimpse.
just like tall forwards weve tried and failed to pluck a gun from obscurity for like the last decade. but went mental for hbfers.

I think we have to pick the best one or two rucks at Coates level even if it means going early. We have no more pressing need at the club than quality mid's (early first rounders) and a good quality young rucks (even if it is late first round). We cannot afford to miss the best or second best ruck to develop asap.

Nank goes down we are gone for the year as there is nobody to replace him at all. Pick up a speculative/mature ruck late in the draft, but we need another one this year.

Correct. But Lynch and Gibcus will be costing us way more to keep on the list. Lynch in salary, Gibcus in draft pick opportunity cost.

Colina is probably costing a really unimportant $150k per year + whatever he eats and drinks over and above a normal sized footballer whilst at the club. Give the guy a chance to play some footy under a conditioning regime not run by the back butcher.
Is there ever a player you want to delist or move on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

Back