3D Home Television Revolution

Remove this Banner Ad

A rather simplistic argument. I agree that the drive for 3D has been phenomenally quick and arguably unjustified, but surely it's just another evolutionary step for multimedia. I wouldn't mind replacing my CRT, even though it's a 40" Loewe CRT (very heavy mofo), and when I look around, everything is 3D. I don't think I have much of a choice whether I want it or not.

I agree the idea of wearing active shutter glasses does not greatly appeal. In its current format, 3D is a passing fad; we cannot be expected to wear stupid glasses all the time when watching TV, our computer, and a myriad of other devices. Having watched Avatar in 3D IMAX and in a normal 2D cinema, I must admit I didn't think the 3D was a big deal. The big screen sure, the 3D not so much.

I think TV should become truly 3D, but not on a 2D panel where you need to wear glasses. Why can't you set up an area of your living room with multiple projectors that display a film in real 3D? That's where I would like the technology to go, films not shown on a flat screen but on a three dimensional stage.

Agree with that, I'm referring to the glasses wearing format. That is a gimmick and the hype around avatar is driving it.

I have heard they are making it so newer models coming out later this year wont even need the glasses. I'd wait for these to come out before I even consider getting one.

At least 3D tv's should bring down the price of LCD's, similar to what LCD did to Plasma's.

how would that work? You have to look past it like some magic eye thing.

And how will these glasses be any different than the $5 ones you pick up at the movies?

I think TV should become truly 3D, but not on a 2D panel where you need to wear glasses. Why can't you set up an area of your living room with multiple projectors that display a film in real 3D? That's where I would like the technology to go, films not shown on a flat screen but on a three dimensional stage.

Yep I think that's where technology will head some day, and I expect the price of small apartments to plummet as a result.

Anyone who thinks this is a gimmick and a fad that will pass HAS TO go down to their local Hardly Normal and check one out. Its mind boggling.:eek:

All ready Blue Ray 3D players are coming out, and their will be stacks of DVDs remastered on 3D as well as the majority of new movies. This is here to stay and will take off world wide big time. Also rumored this years AFL Grand Final will be 3D

Cant wait to see some 3D pr0n ;)

I don't know how effective 3D will be unless the cameras are right up close, like on the boundary line.

The 3D looks pretty amazing in movies where the cameras can be within 2 metres of what they are filming, but that's not the case with sport where there's a lot of foreshortening with telephoto lenses, making any 3D effect negligible.

I wish the 3D LED in dick smith was showing a replay of the SOO instead of some blu-ray movie to test my theory

Anyone who thinks this is a gimmick and a fad that will pass HAS TO go down to their local Hardly Normal and check one out. Its mind boggling.:eek:

I don't 3D is a gimmick or a fad, however, I think the wearing of glasses to watch 3D content cannot last forever. Before long a lot of web content will be 3D and I can't see everyone wearing glasses all day as they look from the PC to their TV to their tablet to their phone to advertising billboards etc etc.

Cant wait to see some 3D pr0n ;)

I sort of agree, although I don't look forward to ducking left and right to avoid the spray :p

personally i'm waiting for big screens of this

[YOUTUBE]9OvTLg4i2_U[/YOUTUBE]

a video screen that can be rolled up while showing video. imagine being able to roll up your TV like a blind. massive screen sizes here i come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

personally i'm waiting for big screens of this

[YOUTUBE]9OvTLg4i2_U[/YOUTUBE]

a video screen that can be rolled up while showing video. imagine being able to roll up your TV like a blind. massive screen sizes here i come.

give me a dark room and projector. I know its early days but the screen looked very dodgy with a few dead pixel lines

Gimmick, once the avatar fad has died down so will interest in these.

I tend to agree with you. Seen a demo and it looks good, but i think you'd tire of it quickly. Just a fad, and remember if you do buy one it comes with 2 pair of glasses and if you want extra pairs they are around $100 EA.

I tend to agree with you. Seen a demo and it looks good, but i think you'd tire of it quickly. Just a fad, and remember if you do buy one it comes with 2 pair of glasses and if you want extra pairs they are around $100 EA.

Walked past a demo at a mall today, without the glasses the images are rather irritating to my eyes, much like a flicking fluro tube even on the peripheral vision I found. That annoyance would be amplified in a lounge room space if you're not wearing those glasses.

for all 3d speculators and wondering if its a fad well its just the current technology dont get burnt throwing wads of cash into it.

holographic tv has been tested in japan and no glasses are needed and gives full viewing from any angle.

so blow your dough on 3dtv ipads etc, the newest technology is only alays around the corner

Didn't these TVs come with some guarantee that you could enjoy the World Cup?

Lucky I didn't splash the cash cos I haven't enjoyed the World Cup so far.

Im waiting for holograph tv
Glasses give me a head ache
I saw Avatar but couldn't wait for it to finish so I could take them off.

I went to Village Cinemas to watch the 3D coverage of Brazil v Portugal.

Bugger that if I'm going to watch sport all the time with crappy glasses.

Im waiting for holograph tv
Glasses give me a head ache
I saw Avatar but couldn't wait for it to finish so I could take them off.

Yep this reason, and the flicker when not wearing the glasses annoys the **** out of me (even in peripheral vision).

Will be a few oldies sitting down with their cuppas in Mildura this morning wondering where the hell Kerry Anne has gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if the TV repair joints have a flood of old folks coming in complaining their TV's are busted either.

Remove this Banner Ad

3D Home Television Revolution

Remove this Banner Ad

Back