Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone earlier mentioned the growth in the northern suburbs, but the "centre" of Perth population-wise is actually drifting south. For years Baldivis was the fastest growing suburb in Australia:

And there's also all the development in Mandurah and further south:

(lol at the centre of Perth being Bland St).

In 1981, the heart of Perth’s population could be found near the corner of Dyson and Vista streets in Kensington.

Since then it has slowly but steadily tracked 1.6km south, pulled in that direction by the rapid growth of Mandurah, according to ABS demographer Andrew Howe.

So, and I will be the first to admit I haven't given this a lot of thought as I believe a third WA team won't happen until GWS, Gold Coast and Tasmania are all viable teams at the very least, AND I would prefer an NT team before another one in WA, but what about a team based in Bunbury?

You'd need a boutique stadium, 20-25k, but being based in Bunbury would give them an identity greater than "Perth's northern suburbs" ever would, a lot of talent comes from there, you have Mandurah creeping southwards, and Bunbury is relatively close to Busselton and Margaret River for the lifestyle. It will also be attractive to the country footy fans from the south west who make the pilgrimage up to Perth each fortnight who hate the AFL scheduling games in Perth to suit the Eastern States TV market.

Could be WA's equivalent to Geelong. Out of the main city, but offers a different lifestyle and strong home ground advantage.

Fair comment. If you were starting the AFL now and gave Victoria 6 teams, there would not be 1 in Geelong.

The first rules were made up in Melbourne. The second taken from Geelong.
Geelong really punches above it's weight.
Instead of "A Geelong style team in WA would be pretty cool."
I'd say a club that could emulate a Geelong style team in WA would be pretty cool.

The first rules were made up in Melbourne. The second taken from Geelong.
Geelong really punches above it's weight.
Instead of "A Geelong style team in WA would be pretty cool."
I'd say a club that could emulate a Geelong style team in WA would be pretty cool.
An emulation is exactly what I meant by "a Geelong style team."

Everyone says a WA3 teams needs a location to gain supporters.

A south west team could draw from the towns of Bunbury (80,000) and Busselton (40,000) specifically, as well as all the other towns that gives the south west a population of 360,000.

8aeeba8de419eccd9373ba999d445e88.jpg

Don’t worry folks, it’s not a real bid… yet.

63bba685cbb6cc39ebd77544647d2f9a.jpg

Who's the biggest WAFL club at the moment? If the AFL are looking for a team to enter in 2032 for the new media rights deal, and it ends up being a 3rd WA club, wouldn't it make sense to be the biggest WAFL club playing games at Optus?

The feedback I'm getting from mergers is that they aren't successful or popular, which is why we didn't get two WAFL clubs joining the AFL, and why the Crows were meant to represent the rest of the SANFL aside from Port.

Thing is, if "Perth" is the name for WA3, it can't be the Demons, and I would've thought "Perth Royals" works, especially since we don't have black and blue yet, but I don't know if Perth and East Perth are big WAFL clubs. I know the Royals used to be.

They'd probably create a new franchise but good luck poaching Eagles supporters which is the only way it'd work.

Who's the biggest WAFL club at the moment? If the AFL are looking for a team to enter in 2032 for the new media rights deal, and it ends up being a 3rd WA club, wouldn't it make sense to be the biggest WAFL club playing games at Optus?

The feedback I'm getting from mergers is that they aren't successful or popular, which is why we didn't get two WAFL clubs joining the AFL, and why the Crows were meant to represent the rest of the SANFL aside from Port.

Thing is, if "Perth" is the name for WA3, it can't be the Demons, and I would've thought "Perth Royals" works, especially since we don't have black and blue yet, but I don't know if Perth and East Perth are big WAFL clubs. I know the Royals used to be.

They'd probably create a new franchise but good luck poaching Eagles supporters which is the only way it'd work.

West Perth (Joondalup Falcons) Historically and probably still now are the biggest WAFL club. I am bias but I have no doubt they would build a good following quickly. How many West Perth fans support Eagles or Freo, would they return to where their heart is? Obvious choice for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Perth (Joondalup Falcons) Historically and probably still now are the biggest WAFL club. I am bias but I have no doubt they would build a good following quickly. How many West Perth fans support Eagles or Freo, would they return to where their heart is? Obvious choice for me.
Hmm, would Joondalup play at Optus cause apparently Arena Joondalup isn't AFL standard and a great 60k stadium would be tempting. Would it be as successful if it was a merger, Perth Falcons? West Perth colours etc but it's just called Perth instead to maybe capture a bigger market? Joondalup has got great potential though, I just think it'd be funny to have 3 WA teams and none of them are called Perth.

Hmm, would Joondalup play at Optus cause apparently Arena Joondalup isn't AFL standard and a great 60k stadium would be tempting. Would it be as successful if it was a merger, Perth Falcons? West Perth colours etc but it's just called Perth instead to maybe capture a bigger market? Joondalup has got great potential though, I just think it'd be funny to have 3 WA teams and none of them are called Perth.

The WAFL has a club called Perth Foitbalk club and until they agree an AFL club can use the Perth name then there will not be a Perth team

Last edited:

No because they'd get about 5000 a game at most.

It's been nearly 40 years since the WAFL was the biggest game in town. Less than a quarter of Perth would remember that time, and of those a lot would now be following the 2 current AFL clubs and wouldn't swap. It would be a disaster.

No because they'd get about 5000 a game at most.

It's been nearly 40 years since the WAFL was the biggest game in town. Less than a quarter of Perth would remember that time, and of those a lot would now be following the 2 current AFL clubs and wouldn't swap. It would be a disaster.
So a new franchise then? Or no WA3 at all? If not, who’s going to be team 20 then? Canberra? Not if the AFL wants GWS to have them as a backup relocation plan if they fail to become a self sufficient club in 20 years time. NT? That’s a ridiculous proposal, Antarctica would probably fare better than them as a club.

So a new franchise then? Or no WA3 at all? If not, who’s going to be team 20 then? Canberra? Not if the AFL wants GWS to have them as a backup relocation plan if they fail to become a self sufficient club in 20 years time. NT? That’s a ridiculous proposal, Antarctica would probably fare better than them as a club.

There has been plenty of discussion about it over the years. Joondalup always comes up, but I just can't see it working. Best concept I can see working is a team in the City of Swan. Not that I think it would be a success overnight, but it would have a better chance of working than bloody Joondalup.

There has been plenty of discussion about it over the years. Joondalup always comes up, but I just can't see it working. Best concept I can see working is a team in the City of Swan. Not that I think it would be a success overnight, but it would have a better chance of working than bloody Joondalup.
Swans have always been the obvious choice.

Nah you wouldn't bring Swans in, but out that way. Somewhere between Midland and Ellenbrook. Go back about 15 pages in this thread and we were discussing it.
Hard to think of a name for them and I don’t see the WA3 team having nothing to do with Optus. The AFL would be silly not to use Optus to get 2 games a week there with a third WA side.

Hard to think of a name for them and I don’t see the WA3 team having nothing to do with Optus. The AFL would be silly not to use Optus to get 2 games a week there with a third WA side.
Oh, I wouldn't necessarily avoid Optus. But a bland nothing team isn’t going to get any fans through the gates no matter where it's played, and that's what I think would happen if they were called Perth or Joondalup.
Midland mad dogs though, I can see a chance of it working.

If the AFL are looking for a team to enter in 2032 for the new media rights deal, and it ends up being a 3rd WA club, wouldn't it make sense to be the biggest WAFL club playing games at Optus?

No. That was the reasoning behind Port Power - Port Adelaide the most successful AFC in Australia.
The Crows pick up just about all other SANFL clubs. Only Falcon supporters would pick up Joondalup AFL.

No. That was the reasoning behind Port Power - Port Adelaide the most successful AFC in Australia.
The Crows pick up just about all other SANFL clubs. Only Falcon supporters would pick up Joondalup AFL.
Good point.

So if WA3 is team 20 then it probably should be a new franchise.

I'd like to see a poll on ideas for names.

Perth Numbats would be good, an actual WA emblem.

So if WA3 is team 20 then it probably should be a new franchise.
There are 9 WAFL teams.
South Fremantle, East fremantle and Peel identify heavily with the Dockers.
West Perth, Subiaco and Claremont are on the west coast and might lean to the Eagles.
East Perth, Perth and Swan Districts could technically be the feeders for WA3.
East of Perth you have the strongest Noongar representation - red yellow and black boomerangs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back