Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin GOAT and King of Punt Rd - OFFICIALLY RETIRED

Remove this Banner Ad

'Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has given Dustin Martin his blessing if the Tigers superstar wants to leave the Melbourne AFL fishbowl.'

Spot on , gutter, sensationalist ambulance chasing journalism , just don’t give it oxygen
If not then Geelong is on the cards. Will retire a cat.
Straight swap for Patrick Selwood or Joel Dangerfield would probably get the deal done

also gaining momentum is rumour Richmond are instigating talk with Geelong that Chris Scott could land at Richmond in a 6 year deal similar to when John Northey went north and Robert Walls took the reigns at Tigerland.

Damien Hardwick has been quoted as saying it is very possible but there is still a lot of work to be done but has always contemplated the move to Sleepy Hollow at various stages.
see how easy it is to make things up ;)

What he gives us, he’s paid us in spades.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and to be honest he has my blessing.

“What he’s given me, us, our fans, he has been incredible and whatever we get from here on in is a bonus” Damian Hardwick

Yikes 😳 didn’t realise there was a decision that was awaiting to be made by Dustin.

It’s starting to get real…

Wow, all this time you hear of this fantom trade and it seems that its got some legs now.

I would be heart broken if he left, although I Agee that he's given us everything we have ever wanted at the end of the day he still has years on his contract and surly he couldn't leave us???

In denial lmao

What he gives us, he’s paid us in spades.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and to be honest he has my blessing.

“What he’s given me, us, our fans, he has been incredible and whatever we get from here on in is a bonus” Damian Hardwick

Yikes 😳 didn’t realise there was a decision that was awaiting to be made by Dustin.

It’s starting to get real…
Highly unusual comments by Dimma if Dusty isn't going anywhere.

So who out of GWS or Swans are more likely to be able to free up more than 1 million $ per year to pick up the last 2 years of his contract?
I'm hearing both are close to the edge and the only way would be to off-load a high quality player (or 2) who #1 - is willing to go and #2 - we would like/need.

I love that Dimma and the club is being very classy about it and would really LMAO if we nudged this in our favour whilst honouring the wishes of an out and out legend, club champion and future hall of famer.

F me I reckon Dimma has lost the plot. He is the very definition of a bloke going through a mid-life crisis
Telling the media that he thinks Picket will get 1 week / giving the greatest player of our generation his blessing if he leaves the club.

This has a lot to answer for....

hemp-picture-id165920331

Last edited:
******* hell you lot are jumping
Very possibly. But the way questions are being answered by the clubs leaders (Hardwick & Peggy) are starting to pour a bit of fuel on the fire.

Losing your dad does all sorts of crazy things to someone’s mindset and for a guy like Dustin escaping the everyday spotlight life that is Melbourne and AFL is not something that is out of the realm of possibilities.

Leaving your football club for 5 weeks is not something that cannot be ignored.

The other thing to consider when wondering why Dusty may be considering a move is that its likely a lot of the players he's close to won't be around for much longer. I'd say there's a strong chance this is Cotchin's last year, and him and Dusty are very close. Jack, Shedda, Caddy and Lambo will likely all be gone too, leaving a much younger list behind that he may not be as close to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a tigers fan, would be a shame to see him leave. Big hit to short term performance, good for the team's long term next era.

As a Sydney resident, I am frothing over the idea of watching him and Buddy in a young up and coming Swans team. Just please don't end up at the Giants.

As a tigers fan, would be a shame to see him leave. Big hit to short term performance, good for the team's long term next era.

As a Sydney resident, I am frothing over the idea of watching him and Buddy in a young up and coming Swans team. Just please don't end up at the Giants.
I can't see how Sydney would get a deal done with us. GWS has the advantage of being able to offload a mid or two that we'd want and/or a top pick.

The other thing to consider when wondering why Dusty may be considering a move is that its likely a lot of the players he's close to won't be around for much longer. I'd say there's a strong chance this is Cotchin's last year, and him and Dusty are very close. Jack, Shedda, Caddy and Lambo will likely all be gone too, leaving a much younger list behind that he may not be as close to.
This is a solid point - Dusty loves his team-mates and if a few of the core will be gone it would certainly contribute to the decision.

It would be more than a shame. It would be gut wrenching watching him run around in a Gee Whizz or a Sydney Pride jumper

Straight swap for Patrick Selwood or Joel Dangerfield would probably get the deal done

also gaining momentum is rumour Richmond are instigating talk with Geelong that Chris Scott could land at Richmond in a 6 year deal similar to when John Northey went north and Robert Walls took the reigns at Tigerland.

Damien Hardwick has been quoted as saying it is very possible but there is still a lot of work to be done but has always contemplated the move to Sleepy Hollow at various stages.
see how easy it is to make things up ;)
I find it funny a lot of people thought Robert Walls was the answer, all them years ago.

Grief and loss can change people quite drastically. Dusty just lost the most important person in his life.

Maybe football is not as important to him anymore and maybe he wants to be around family in Sydney? I'm not sure.

If so then I agree with Dimma that he owes the club nothing and he can do what he likes. Appreciate what he gave us. If the club gets decent value back for a 30+ year old who wants to leave you take it. Just like the Deledio deal.

But until then I'm glad Dusty is here.

I think people need to be prepared for it. Watching the last 2 games, a bit like the Carlton game he is getting his numbers but doesn't look overly invested. If he goes to GWS, they aren't really a proper club so I could live with that. Get what we can, free up a huge amount of cap space, the club will go on. The other option really is he just retires. Im at the point where I feel its less likely than likely he is playing for us next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin GOAT and King of Punt Rd - OFFICIALLY RETIRED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back