Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel for anyone, who might be genuinely upset about this.
For me I'm just so happy to have won those 3 premierships.
And without Martin we almost certainly wouldn't have some if not all of them.
He saw out his contract...sort of.
But even if his last few years had been poor...he'd already kept his part of the bargain imo.
I feel we got more loyalty from him than I had expected...I was ready to cut him loose after the GWS visit (then where would we have been). Have a look at his old man and the lessons he would have got from there...not to mention his manager.
His loyalty I feel was always more to his mates than the club...and they are all gone now.

And while I liked at first we'd employed a hard nut as a coach...I never thought much of Hardwick as a person...just ask his wife :)
But was more than pleasantly surprised he became a 3 time premiership coach...for us.
And Campbell gave us a wonderful gift with the Delidio trade...I never liked him much as a player...but doesn't finishing on 297 games when he didn't have to, say something good about his character (as opposed to say a Kaine Cornes :)
I'm also fine with Rioli, Baker, Bolton and Graham wanting out now. They all made their contributions. And they seem to be exiting in a manner that gives the best possible draft picks for Richmond. What about Tom Lynch while we're at it :)
It's probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a win win for all involved (except perhaps Lids :)
It certainly feels like the end of an era...no f#cking around.
And there is more than a little irony in Richmond, now giving back to GCS, what might be the basis for their 1st premiership :)

After 37 years of misery, I just reckon we were so lucky the planets happened to align for us for 3 more premierships.
That Gary March guy seems to have been instrumental in getting it started (wasn't he a property developer...even more amazing).
Stopping the financial hemorrhaging...and infighting.
Then when it looked like a classic Richmond alpha male sh!t fight succeed hime...engineered the Peggy deal.
And without Brendan Gale as CEO it still wouldn't have happened. Nor probably with Neil Balme.
And enough of a core group of youngish players...plus some very good recruiting for just a couple of years.
The assistant coaches too need a mention...just look at Collingwood.
And then probably most important of all is the present moment stuff...and we have Dan Richardson to thank for that.
So many sliding doors moments.
And they all deserve so much credit for their contributions...imo.

And what are the chances of it happening again any time soon...not much imo.
On average you should win 1 premiership every 18 years...soon to be 19...then 20.
And of course certain well run/connected clubs will win more than their fair share...meaning the odds are even less for most.
Especially for those clubs who just can't ever get their sh!t together...St Kilda...GCS...Fremantle...formerly Richmond.
At least the brown paper bag era is gone...although we were also beneficiaries during much of our GR period.
And that wouldn't be the case except that the silvertails who own the AFL currently believe their profits will be greater with a fairer competition.

What concerns me most is how poorly Richmond seems to have drafted and developed players in recent years.
So even with this looming great hand of draft picks, I have no confidence we won't do a "gold coast" with them (rather than a Geelong or Hawthorn).
I also have no confidence that the club is left with anything but mediocre leadership.
Only time will tell.
Because I would have said the same thing about Peggy (although not about Gale or Balme).
I'd also written off Hardwick as a coach...so clearly I've got no credibility :)
I just get the feeling that the club has now completely slipped into the entirely bland corporatised model which is the AFL.
Even though as a club we are not directly trapped by gambling revenue...having Latitude Finance as your major sponsor is not much better.
When the board was challenged in 2016...and the incumbents won...and the process worked...their response was oh so typically corporate...change the rules to make it harder for anyone else to ever challenge again...is that in the best interests of the members?
It's board behaviour like that...along with our recent recruiting and development...that makes me feel we should bask in the 3 premierships that we got for as long as we can...as it may be a while before the next one.

Go Tiges :)

Geelong's winning finals team last week contained the following players they drafted during or soon after(within 3 years of) their natural draft year:

Holmes, Z Guthrie, Miers, Humphries, Duncan, Blicavs, Close, Dempsey, Kolodjahnij, J Henry, Neale, Bews.

It is not tough to match that drafting. Within the same period Richmond has drafted within 3 years of their natural draft age:

B Ellis, Vlastuin, McIntosh, Butler, Short, Castagna, Soldo, D Rioli, Markov, Chol, Bolton, Graham, Stengle, Higgins, Coleman-Jones, Balta, Miller, Baker, Ross, Ralphsmith, M Rioli, Gibcus, Brown, Banks, Campbell, Green, Bauer, Trezise, McAuliffe....

Obviously I have added in players who are no longer at Richmond, and some players who have only shown promise in a few games, but our drafting and recruiting has been so good we won 3 flags and by next year we will have over 10 players we drafted playing at other clubs. Then some guys our VFL program recruited as well that we couldn't get access to ourselves because we weren't low enough on the ladder when they nominated for mid-season drafts. There is nothing wrong with our drafting.

Is it confirmed that Martin has stooged us, Mal Michael style?

Key people at Richmond would have been well aware what was happening from very early on. Suns were clearly not going to be trying to pull the wool over our eyes because they want Rioli. The whole thing will be part of the same carve up between the clubs. Suns will give us the picks we want, we will give them the players and potentially salary relief they want.

Key people at Richmond would have been well aware what was happening from very early on. Suns were clearly not going to be trying to pull the wool over our eyes because they want Rioli. The whole thing will be part of the same carve up between the clubs. Suns will give us the picks we want, we will give them the players and potentially salary relief they want.
And Martin carries the traitor label for a very large section of the Richmond community ?

Shocking deal for him if true, why not just organise a trade correctly instead and save your reputation when that is how he will be making most of his money from now on?

Not buying that, his management would never allow it.

Good. Opening Round is overrated.

We don't need R0 (Round 0). Round 1 (R1) is perfectly fine to kick off the season.

There are some things that shouldn't be messed around.
we need round -zero

And Martin carries the traitor label for a very large section of the Richmond community ?

Shocking deal for him if true, why not just organise a trade correctly instead and save your reputation when that is how he will be making most of his money from now on?

Not buying that, his management would never allow it.

Martin and Richmond probably just wanted to get a decent closure on his time at Richmond given he is one of a very small handful of most significant players in the club's illustrious history. They provided the Tiger fans with a perfect way to say good-bye and show their appreciation, which clearly moved Dusty, and he in turn voiced his appreciation.

If people see 33yo Dustin Martin going to play for another club as him being a traitor, jeez. I couldn't be happier if he goes on to achieve anything significant at the Suns, and if he doesn't, then it didn't matter anyway. He has delivered us 3 flags from probably a mid-point expectation of a one flag team. One of the premiership cups was basically in the process of having Geelong's name carved on it when Dusty deleted that and put Richmond's name on it in about 43 minutes of football we are never going to see happen again in our lifetimes. He made the second best team in the competition look like keystone cops. His 2017 season was also the most decorated season played by a footballer ever, and most likely the best. Without that we are not strolling a flag and probably not even winning it.

The guy has already turned 33 and will turn 34 during next season. If he wanted to live in a green oasis in the middle of the Simpson desert with a harem of mermaids Richmond should be happily arranging that for him.

Martin and Richmond probably just wanted to get a decent closure on his time at Richmond given he is one of a very small handful of most significant players in the club's illustrious history. They provided the Tiger fans with a perfect way to say good-bye and show their appreciation, which clearly moved Dusty, and he in turn voiced his appreciation.

If people see 33yo Dustin Martin going to play for another club as him being a traitor, jeez. I couldn't be happier if he goes on to achieve anything significant at the Suns, and if he doesn't, then it didn't matter anyway. He has delivered us 3 flags from probably a mid-point expectation of a one flag team. One of the premiership cups was basically in the process of having Geelong's name carved on it when Dusty deleted that and put Richmond's name on it in about 43 minutes of football we are never going to see happen again in our lifetimes. He made the second best team in the competition look like keystone cops. His 2017 season was also the most decorated season played by a footballer ever, and most likely the best. Without that we are not strolling a flag and probably not even winning it.

The guy has already turned 33 and will turn 34 during next season. If he wanted to live in a green oasis in the middle of the Simpson desert with a harem of mermaids Richmond should be happily arranging that for him.
Aaaaand….then he lied to everyone at the club on his way out the door

Dumb move on his part if true, will cost him waaaay more than 2 x 300k in the future

Aaaaand….then he lied to everyone at the club on his way out the door

Dumb move on his part if true, will cost him waaaay more than 2 x 300k in the future

What evidence is there he lied to the club? And what would it matter anyway?

He wouldn't have needed to lie. He could have just said I feel like I want to move to the Suns to play out my days there and it would have been happily arranged by Richmond. In fact this is probably exactly what did happen.

Or he could have not been sure of anything other than he didn't see the point of carrying on at Richmond and wanted time to decide if he wanted to try his luck elsewhere, again, the club would very obviously have been happy to accommodate this.

Dimma probably met him and said Suns can't afford to pay you much, Dusty probably said I am not worried about that at all, but don't want Richmond come out of it with nothing. Dimma probably said don't worry about that, the 2 cubs will sort something out where everyone is happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What evidence is there he lied to the club? And what would it matter anyway?

He wouldn't have needed to lie. He could have just said I feel like I want to move to the Suns to play out my days there and it would have been happily arranged by Richmond. In fact this is probably exactly what did happen.

Or he could have not been sure of anything other than he didn't see the point of carrying on at Richmond and wanted time to decide if he wanted to try his luck elsewhere, again, the club would very obviously have been happy to accommodate this.

Dimma probably met him and said Suns can't afford to pay you much, Dusty probably said I am not worried about that at all, but don't want Richmond come out of it with nothing. Dimma probably said don't worry about that, the 2 cubs will sort something out where everyone is happy.
Backflippers gonna backflip eh?

I feel for anyone, who might be genuinely upset about this.
For me I'm just so happy to have won those 3 premierships.
And without Martin we almost certainly wouldn't have some if not all of them.
He saw out his contract...sort of.
But even if his last few years had been poor...he'd already kept his part of the bargain imo.
I feel we got more loyalty from him than I had expected...I was ready to cut him loose after the GWS visit (then where would we have been). Have a look at his old man and the lessons he would have got from there...not to mention his manager.
His loyalty I feel was always more to his mates than the club...and they are all gone now.

And while I liked at first we'd employed a hard nut as a coach...I never thought much of Hardwick as a person...just ask his wife :)
But was more than pleasantly surprised he became a 3 time premiership coach...for us.
And Campbell gave us a wonderful gift with the Delidio trade...I never liked him much as a player...but doesn't finishing on 297 games when he didn't have to, say something good about his character (as opposed to say a Kaine Cornes :)
I'm also fine with Rioli, Baker, Bolton and Graham wanting out now. They all made their contributions. And they seem to be exiting in a manner that gives the best possible draft picks for Richmond. What about Tom Lynch while we're at it :)
It's probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a win win for all involved (except perhaps Lids :)
It certainly feels like the end of an era...no f#cking around.
And there is more than a little irony in Richmond, now giving back to GCS, what might be the basis for their 1st premiership :)

After 37 years of misery, I just reckon we were so lucky the planets happened to align for us for 3 more premierships.
That Gary March guy seems to have been instrumental in getting it started (wasn't he a property developer...even more amazing).
Stopping the financial hemorrhaging...and infighting.
Then when it looked like a classic Richmond alpha male sh!t fight succeed hime...engineered the Peggy deal.
And without Brendan Gale as CEO it still wouldn't have happened. Nor probably with Neil Balme.
And enough of a core group of youngish players...plus some very good recruiting for just a couple of years.
The assistant coaches too need a mention...just look at Collingwood.
And then probably most important of all is the present moment stuff...and we have Dan Richardson to thank for that.
So many sliding doors moments.
And they all deserve so much credit for their contributions...imo.

And what are the chances of it happening again any time soon...not much imo.
On average you should win 1 premiership every 18 years...soon to be 19...then 20.
And of course certain well run/connected clubs will win more than their fair share...meaning the odds are even less for most.
Especially for those clubs who just can't ever get their sh!t together...St Kilda...GCS...Fremantle...formerly Richmond.
At least the brown paper bag era is gone...although we were also beneficiaries during much of our GR period.
And that wouldn't be the case except that the silvertails who own the AFL currently believe their profits will be greater with a fairer competition.

What concerns me most is how poorly Richmond seems to have drafted and developed players in recent years.
So even with this looming great hand of draft picks, I have no confidence we won't do a "gold coast" with them (rather than a Geelong or Hawthorn).
I also have no confidence that the club is left with anything but mediocre leadership.
Only time will tell.
Because I would have said the same thing about Peggy (although not about Gale or Balme).
I'd also written off Hardwick as a coach...so clearly I've got no credibility :)
I just get the feeling that the club has now completely slipped into the entirely bland corporatised model which is the AFL.
Even though as a club we are not directly trapped by gambling revenue...having Latitude Finance as your major sponsor is not much better.
When the board was challenged in 2016...and the incumbents won...and the process worked...their response was oh so typically corporate...change the rules to make it harder for anyone else to ever challenge again...is that in the best interests of the members?
It's board behaviour like that...along with our recent recruiting and development...that makes me feel we should bask in the 3 premierships that we got for as long as we can...as it may be a while before the next one.

Go Tiges :)
If you typed this on a phone, how long did it take?? 😂

Why did dusty retire? If this was on the cards early why didn't he just request a trade there?
I even think Gale had an idea at the time.
I'm sure it was phrased as "retiring from the Richmond football club" and something that to his knowledge it was from football full stop, but it was never 100% categorical.

Dusty wouldn't get out of bed for that sort of money.
Where else is he going to earn that kind of money.
He may have a small fortune saved up for retirement, but he is retired for 50, 60 years or more and I don't see what other career he will have outside of playing the game. Makes another couple of years before he has to consider income vs expenses.

Where else is he going to earn that kind of money.
He may have a small fortune saved up for retirement, but he is retired for 50, 60 years or more and I don't see what other career he will have outside of playing the game. Makes another couple of years before he has to consider income vs expenses.
He has a net worth of 20 million, multiple properties not sure he needs to work another day in his life.

I wouldn't be so certain he won't find some sort of form.
He just pushed himself through to get to 300 to cash in on that. He might try and actually get his body right, particularly if he can get into a finals series in decent condition.
Unfortunately he was just going through the motions this year with us once finals were gone.

Loyalty is important, but we as supporters can not moan and complain because we acquired players from other clubs during our successful era. Prestia, Lynch, Nankervis.

As I said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. You win some and you lose some. The AFL landscape allows players to move clubs....blame the system in its current form.
Agree with those points, but he can’t say he’s a Tiger for life, then put on that Red & gold jumper the following year & potentially play against us.

I dont blame Dusty, this is on Hardwick, he has been in Rioli's ear & now Dusty & convinced them to change there loyalty when we have been kicked in the guts. Hardwick is the F***in traitor. Hopefully the Suns fail to win a GF why Hardwick is there.
If Martin and Rioli end up at GC and we plumb rock bottom again next year, I wonder what % of tiger fans would agree with you re. Dimma-

might get to be a sizeable %

Legacy in jeopardy

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back