Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

They won't win one afterwards either.

Wanna bet. In 3 years all of Rowell, Anderson, King will be prime. The 4 kids they got last year will be coming up to 80 games together. They're getting Lombard this year. Another 3-4 Academy kids next year including one already tipped top 3. They're gonna have talent coming out their ears majority home grown. Hardwick will start filling up with solid citizen role players and any team wanting to poach their guns will be coughing up 2- 1st rounders. With the corrupt AFL pulling strings They're gonna be a juggernaut. Our lowest pick in 12 years was Vlastuin at 9. They flicked away pick 7 to Cats like it was nothing. People forget how stacked they are. Soon these kids will know Dimmas game plan and will be the perfect age demographic and hitting their primes together.

Wanna bet. In 3 years all of Rowell, Anderson, King will be prime. The 4 kids they got last year will be coming up to 80 games together. They're getting Lombard this year. Another 3-4 Academy kids next year including one already tipped top 3. They're gonna have talent coming out their ears majority home grown. Hardwick will start filling up with solid citizen role players and any team wanting to poach their guns will be coughing up 2- 1st rounders. With the corrupt AFL pulling strings They're gonna be a juggernaut. Our lowest pick in 12 years was Vlastuin at 9. They flicked away pick 7 to Cats like it was nothing. People forget how stacked they are. Soon these kids will know Dimmas game plan and will be the perfect age demographic and hitting their primes together.
I remember when GWS were gonna win the next 5 flags in a row...people have been saying this shit about the expansion clubs since they entered the comp....Gold Coast is the black hole of Australian sport - every code has failed miserably there because it's a shallow, soulless party town full of distractions and populated by transients...

Last edited:
Been hearing this since 2011 with them. Apparently they were ready to make finals this year, they ain't making jack shit.

You know if Gold Coast winning a flag means that Collingwood or Carlton miss out on one then I'll be happy to see more ex-Richmond people go north.

Truth is we aren't winning any flags for a little while now so if that means a few flags end up with the plastic franchises during that time then so be it.

In saying that those teams have had the best picks for a decade now and still no signs of winning one.

You know if Gold Coast winning a flag means that Collingwood or Carlton miss out on one then I'll be happy to see more ex-Richmond people go north.

Truth is we aren't winning any flags for a little while now so if that means a few flags end up with the plastic franchises during that time then so be it.
Well any team that isn't close to our flag tally really...except Norf - **** them...

I think there is some back door deals taking place between Carr / GC / AFL

Dusty wont play for less than $700k x 2 years
AFL would love to have Dusty on the GC for the AFL footy profile to increase
GC/Dimma would want a champ like Dusty around the kids to get confidence from as well as his brilliance

GC pay $400k
AFL pay $300k marketing allowance
Dusty gets $700k for 2 years living beautifully in mermaid beach

Richmond get end of 2nd round compo
The CFL getting involved, now it's starting to sound more plausible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is some back door deals taking place between Carr / GC / AFL

Dusty wont play for less than $700k x 2 years
AFL would love to have Dusty on the GC for the AFL footy profile to increase
GC/Dimma would want a champ like Dusty around the kids to get confidence from as well as his brilliance

GC pay $400k
AFL pay $300k marketing allowance
Dusty gets $700k for 2 years living beautifully in mermaid beach

Richmond get end of 2nd round compo

I think you're spot on. Personally I hope he stays cos in a fully fit side he's still a bloody good player. Ian Stewart isn't truly adored at Saints or Richmond the same way he'd be if he was a 1 club player. Dusty can teach a lot to these 2 gun mids we presumably land this draft, as well as Mcauliffe.

Having said that when I heard reports that Gold Coast management said they could only offer Dusty 2 years at AFL average salary it seemed odd. He'd hardly move there when QLD housing market has gone gangbusters since covid. But like you say if they pay him Average salary of $450k??? the AFL are desperate for GC to grow and if Dusty means 10,000 additional members and more kids turn from Rugby that's a bonanza. If they can pay unrecognisable Ben King and spud Coniglio $300k p/a ambassadors wages surely Dusty can land more than that. He'd sell another 10,000 No. 4 guernseys also.

Look what Ben Cousins mania was when he 1st landed here. GC would have packed preseason games. And if AFL were smart they'd hype up and serve up us on a silver platter as a sacrificial kill round 1 in the heat of the day to open the stupid round 0 with all eyes on Dusty. I hope he stays but got a bad feeling he might go. At least he won't play 100 more games.

Last edited:
Dummas game plan will win nothing without great assistants

Yeah just like the plastics gws still haven’t won a flag and windy win one

Been hearing this since 2011 with them. Apparently they were ready to make finals this year, they ain't making jack shit.
Exactly they will never win a flag just fold them already , I actually hope it comes to last game of season a Dummas new toys need to beat us to make the 8 and we beat them with a kick after the siren

Of course he’ll go as an UFA. If GC are stumping up $1.5m over 2-years, do you really think Martin’s camp will be saying : “I know I’m a free agent, but unless you give Richmond pick-25 I’m not coming”.. GC will say “OK, no probs, enjoy retirement”.

We took Prestia and Lynch off them … I don’t think there’s any form of pity coming our way from GC. And I don’t think Dusty will put $1.5m and potentially another flag in jeopardy just because GC don’t hand over a draft pick.

I hope you’re right, but I’ll be amazed if GC trade a quality pick just to make us feel better - what it might be is a suite of picks to get them academy points and Dusty in return for a quality pick … but it won’t be just to make us feel warm and fuzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We'll see. I don't think he'll go as an UFA. That's not Dusty. He wouldn't do that, and I'm pretty sure the club would ask that he didn't do that. So he wouldn't do that. Ralph Carr sure - but he works for Dusty not the other way around.

I suspect these discussions have been held some time ago and everybody knows that if we get a nice draft pick back we'll thank him and wish him all the best.

People saying he wouldn't get a pick before 50 are batshit crazy. Clubs would be lining up for miles if that was the case.

Exactly, he is one bloke who needs to be a one club player, he is a Tiger immortal.
I'd hoped he would have stayed on post career in a coaching/mentoring capacity too.
Still holding out that it's not true anyway, dunno whether that is a fools hope
don't know about the staying on in a coaching roll - not exactly Dusty
The one club player is correct, just like the respect we pay Richo - one club hero forever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back