Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way Dusty would go to Gold Coast is if he wants to play on but feels he's holding things up at Richmond. Reckon he'll just retire. He's not the sort of person to move to another club for a bit of pocket change at the end of his career. They won't be paying big bux for him at this stage of his career. They would be a laughing stock if they did, not that that's anything new.
I don't think he will go, but pocket change?
It might not be the huge amount he has been on, but where is he going to get $500K+ from outside of playing footy?
He's not going into media.
I don't know what businesses he might be involved in post career, but he would be a fool to turn down easy coin for a few more years if he feels he can go on. He's got the rest of his life to spend what he's earned, so why not keep earning it while he can.

Agree. I don't see Martin moving to another club at this stage of his career. His value will remain at top level as a one club man especially merchandise.
Nah I reckon he sees a 700k contract over 2y living in a penthouse on GC as a pretty cushy gig , dimma tells him just stay deep u don’t have to do much else

It might not be the huge amount he has been on, but where is he going to get $500K+ from outside of playing footy?
I don't know what businesses he might be involved in post career, but he would be a fool to turn down easy coin for a few more years if he feels he can go on. He's got the rest of his life to spend what he's earned, so why not keep earning it while he can.
Dusty has a property portfolio that will hold him in very good stead.
Guaranteed the day after he announce's the retirement, he is on a plane and out of here...kills all of the media spotlight
Vegas baby !!

Dusty going to the suns would be like when Michael Jordan went to the Wizards, yeah its cool to see him go around again but ultimately nothing comes of it and no one thinks back to it.

I personally don't think it changes his Richmond legacy at all...if I were him I'd be more worried about limping through another season or two looking half-fit and hoping that doesn't tarnish any of his legacy. If he goes on for another 2 years that will three, arguably four seasons at the end of his career where he wasn't much more than just a fringe best 22 output guy

Maybe whenever he retires he can go into security work protecting dimma ….. he’s a pretty tough guy so don’t see why not

To be honest if he goes to GC I hope he kills it and I hope they win a flag and he wins a 4th Norm Smith .. because it means the clubs and players I really hate aren’t winning sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah....nah. Gold Coast win a flag hahahahaha, clowns can't even make finals FFS.

It’s a no-brainer for GC to get him. He’s been struggling with a back issue this year, but we saw just a few weeks ago in the Dreamtime game what’s he’s still capable of.

He’s an UFA so GC get him for nothing except his salary. He will win them a couple of games a year they would’ve lost - difference between 10th and 7th or 7th and 3rd. He may win them a big final. He sets great training standards and knows what it takes to win.

Then there’s marketing, crowds etc….

I honestly see zero risk from GC’s point of view. If they don’t lose any players they want to retain by getting him then what’s the downside?

It’s a no-brainer for GC to get him. He’s been struggling with a back issue this year, but we saw just a few weeks ago in the Dreamtime game what’s he’s still capable of.

He’s an UFA so GC get him for nothing except his salary. He will win them a couple of games a year they would’ve lost - difference between 10th and 7th or 7th and 3rd. He may win them a big final. He sets great training standards and knows what it takes to win.

Then there’s marketing, crowds etc….

I honestly see zero risk from GC’s point of view. If they don’t lose any players they want to retain by getting him then what’s the downside?

The only potential downside is the salary for 2 years versus recruiting a younger player and paying it to them. Could it be they don't get him as a free agent, but do a deal where we contract Dusty, and trade him to them for a decent pick with some or all of the contract paid by us depending on the pick we get in return?

In other words, the cap space is probably worth more to the Suns than the pick.

The only potential downside is the salary for 2 years versus recruiting a younger player and paying it to them. Could it be they don't get him as a free agent, but do a deal where we contract Dusty, and trade him to them for a decent pick with some or all of the contract paid by us depending on the pick we get in return?

In other words, the cap space is probably worth more to the Suns than the pick.
Basically buy a higher draft pick...

It's not a bad idea for us, it would also mean we don't overpay some of our younger players too early, make them earn it.

I would question why GC would do that, unless they reckon they have enough kids on their list, so missing one won't hurt

I agree.
And we know how Dimma thinks about having too many kids rotting away in the 2nds. He’d much prefer missing a high pick and getting games into the ones they already have. Plus academy kids coming in.

p.s. I don’t want Dusty to play anywhere else. I just theoretically agree with the trade strategy if he did go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t want him to go anywhere else, especially GC. It would just prove all those scum footy journalists who have been willing it to happen for the last 2/3 years correct.

That would be the worst part of it. Them all saying ‘See we told you so.’ I’d bloody hate that. And I don’t know if I could forgive Dusty, who obviously doesn’t like the press, for proving them right.

It's pretty well reported he's got investments, property etc. That'd hold him up.

Plus he was sacked.
Hafey wasn't sacked. He was on a year to year rolling contract. The board met and voted to give him a new one year contract. One person on the board voted to sack him. Hafey found out later the person who voted to sack him was Graeme Richmond so immediately resigned.

If he goes there will def be no statue imo
No Statue for you
Seinfeld Soup GIF

How the farrk would david schwartz know first before anyone else anyway

did his loan shark tell him
Apparently a Richmond player told him ...amazing how this so called Richmond player knew all about the intricacies about the deal with Suns. Was on the golf course allegedly backed up by a Richmond official

I agree.
And we know how Dimma thinks about having too many kids rotting away in the 2nds. He’d much prefer missing a high pick and getting games into the ones they already have. Plus academy kids coming in.

p.s. I don’t want Dusty to play anywhere else. I just theoretically agree with the trade strategy if he did go.
I don’t want him to go anywhere else, especially GC. It would just prove all those scum footy journalists who have been willing it to happen for the last 2/3 years correct.

That would be the worst part of it. Them all saying ‘See we told you so.’ I’d bloody hate that. And I don’t know if I could forgive Dusty, who obviously doesn’t like the press, for proving them right.
THIS... Both of them...

I 100% don't want him to go.

• I think it will damage his legacy, bit like Dougy Hawkins
  • I don't want those FARRKWITT journos to be even close to being right, considering they have made it up every year.

But I/WE have no control over that, so if he chooses to go, I will be upset about it, but then I think about how we could best get the best out of GC with his move

Not too sure you can contract a player and then trade them in the same year. Not sure on the trade rules but no doubt if he does go and we do some crafty deal - the AFL will question it and everyone in the media will jump up and down and say it isn't fair.

Just 2 years after Bowes and pick 7 goes to the Cats for a 3rd round pick and barely a whimper from the media ass clowns.

Apparently a Richmond player told him ...amazing how this so called Richmond player knew all about the intricacies about the deal with Suns. Was on the golf course allegedly backed up by a Richmond official
As if any Richmond player would tell him or anyone in the media lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back