Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently a Richmond player told him ...amazing how this so called Richmond player knew all about the intricacies about the deal with Suns. Was on the golf course allegedly backed up by a Richmond official
He's always been as thick as a brick.

It’s a no-brainer for GC to get him. He’s been struggling with a back issue this year, but we saw just a few weeks ago in the Dreamtime game what’s he’s still capable of.

He’s an UFA so GC get him for nothing except his salary. He will win them a couple of games a year they would’ve lost - difference between 10th and 7th or 7th and 3rd. He may win them a big final. He sets great training standards and knows what it takes to win.

Then there’s marketing, crowds etc….

I honestly see zero risk from GC’s point of view. If they don’t lose any players they want to retain by getting him then what’s the downside?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
he attracts players - who do you think spoke to Taranto and Hopper before they jumped ship!

Apparently a Richmond player told him ...amazing how this so called Richmond player knew all about the intricacies about the deal with Suns. Was on the golf course allegedly backed up by a Richmond official
wow !! Dusty definitely OUT

cant beat the old

"speaking to a bloke who knows a bloke"..

Hafey wasn't sacked. He was on a year to year rolling contract. The board met and voted to give him a new one year contract. One person on the board voted to sack him. Hafey found out later the person who voted to sack him was Graeme Richmond so immediately resigned.
Exactly!
Hafey himself says it in his book. He resigned when he found out someone had voted against him.
Ol Ian Wilson tried relentlessly to convince Haley to stay but he wouldn’t withdraw the resignation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he will go, but pocket change?
It might not be the huge amount he has been on, but where is he going to get $500K+ from outside of playing footy?
He's not going into media.
I don't know what businesses he might be involved in post career, but he would be a fool to turn down easy coin for a few more years if he feels he can go on. He's got the rest of his life to spend what he's earned, so why not keep earning it while he can.
Do you reckon they'd pay 500k? Maybe if afl pay half.

Dusty will always be a Richmond legend. He definitely gets the statue, but it should be on the MCG concourse with Lethal and Ron.

I think a warm weather environment might help extend Dusty's career, so maybe a GC move would be good for him. If helped GC to a premiership I'd be ecstatic for him.

Dusty will always be a Richmond legend. He definitely gets the statue, but it should be on the MCG concourse with Lethal and Ron.

I think a warm weather environment might help extend Dusty's career, so maybe a GC move would be good for him. If helped GC to a premiership I'd be ecstatic for him.
If Gold Coast played Collingwood , Carlton , Essendon, North in a grand final and duz kicks 4 goals and wins the norm smith and premiership for GC.

I would be over the moon
Haha you guys are off ya head. He’s cooked! If he plays anywhere (don’t think he should) he’ll be playing a minor role.

Conspiracy theorist in me thinks you're full of it! Broady has handed over the planning of the footy trip to #14 not #4 so it's Tim Taranto at the helm this year.
pretty sure i heard broad say it on triple m the other day before the carlton game

Kind of funny that the suns are the only team into him because they crave relevance, they've got dimma and yet the only time they make the news is when they are talking about other teams players or a big club is going up to draw a crowd. Martin is still effective with ball in hand, but he has understandably dropped off in other aspects and can't move like he used to. We'd be fine on field if Martin left for the suns just depends on whether or not you can stomach him in another teams colours.
I think Hardwick knows how to use Dusty, and same reason they are heavily into Rioli

The only potential downside is the salary for 2 years versus recruiting a younger player and paying it to them. Could it be they don't get him as a free agent, but do a deal where we contract Dusty, and trade him to them for a decent pick with some or all of the contract paid by us depending on the pick we get in return?

In other words, the cap space is probably worth more to the Suns than the pick.

I’ve been singing from this hymn book for weeks in relation to D Rioli. Why not Martin as well? Trade Rioli and pay half his salary for 3-years for picks 7 and 8. Trade Martin and pay half his salary over 2-years for pick 20.

A win/win/win for Tigers, Suns and the players.

they could have also been feeding him shit for giggles

The part that makes zero sense is that GC would have already provided a 2-year contract commitment when Martin has really struggled with his back this year. What if he really limps to the line with more injury troubles?? So I think there’s too much smoke around this and I’d suggest he’s favouring a move to GC … but I’d also be sure there’s not already a GC commitment of 2-years in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back