Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been singing from this hymn book for weeks in relation to D Rioli. Why not Martin as well? Trade Rioli and pay half his salary for 3-years for picks 7 and 8. Trade Martin and pay half his salary over 2-years for pick 20.

A win/win/win for Tigers, Suns and the players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am not as keen on the idea with Rioli.

Below is our 25-29yo contingent as at the start of next season. There are only 12 in the whole club. That includes 2 guys who have done current ACL's and Colina who we may never get to see. Of the 9 remaining, one is Graham, who looks a decent chance to leave. That leaves just 8. Ideally, you would want at least 10-12 in this age bracket in your best 22. We already have more young talent in the club than is widely understood, though 2 of those have done ACL's as well. We can get a really nice draft hand including access to the very top end of the draft just by losing Graham, who I would also be perfectly happy to retain. Dusty, who knows. But if he goes and we can get any sort of pick for him in return for paying even his whole salary, that might be a fair enough move but it needs to be a really strong pick. Rioli there re so many competing thoughts on it. If we got their 2 best picks they re currently sitting at 8 and 10 but could yet move either way. By draft night, every chance those are picks 10 and 12ish. And you are probably bringing about 6 or 7 youngsters onto a list with only 6 or 7 experienced players not past their prime.

It is very intriguing to see how this all pans out this year, but I feel we have a good enough structure still there to bring in a decent handful of top 25 type picks this year another couple of good picks next year, and hopefully a decent free agent somewhere in the next couple of years. This was the good youngsters come in playing with a decent structure for a competitive team. I probably still favour that approach at this stage. But if prime contracted players want to go, then we need to focus heavily on strong picks in return, or partially developed young players with talent. And paying some salary may be a useful way of achieving that.

1720188349108.png

Almost a Bomber. :eek:

THE DUSTY DECISION

We won’t get a peep out of Martin until a decision is made – Stay at Richmond; go to the Suns; or retire.

He and/or his management have spoken to the Suns, well beyond the much-publicised September 2023 meeting between Martin and Suns coach Damien Hardwick.

That time, it was with a quiet beer in a public space and laughed off as a holiday catch-up between a player and his old coach.

It was the perfect camouflage. If Hardwick was trying to woo Martin, it could be argued, why would he do it so the whole world would know?

The fact is, that at the end of last year there were discussions about Martin joining Gold Coast. But there were complications. He was contracted to Richmond. He was on a $1.4 million salary. Working out a possible trade deal with the Tigers was going to be an issue. And the Suns needed their draft selections to take three academy picks, anyhow.

No, it was put on the backburner.

As Richmond’s 2024 season has spiralled into ordinariness, speculation about Martin and the Suns permeated, as did speculation he would retire. It was said Dusty would walk away from the game about Round 6 – for good. That was incorrect. And that he was supposed to have retired after his 300th game – at the MCG against the Hawks – which was also incorrect.

Dustin Martin walks off the MCG with [PLAYERCARD]Noah Balta[/PLAYERCARD] after being subbed out against Carlton. Picture: Michael Klein

Dustin Martin walks off the MCG with Noah Balta after being subbed out against Carlton. Picture: Michael Klein
This week, former Melbourne great David Schwarz lit the Martin blaze when he declared that he was “100 per cent’’ certain Martin would be at Gold Cast next year – and on a two-year deal. The “Ox” was a failed punter, but he is good with numbers.

In June, 2011, he boldly declared he was “98 per cent” confident Melbourne’s No.1 draft pick, Tom Scully, was leaving the club for Greater Western Sydney. That, too, made headlines – and Schwarz was on the money – he says he is even more confident this time around.

“I was confident about Tom,’’ he said. “Even when the president at the time, Jim Stynes, said I had no idea about the conversations he was having with Tom, I just knew.

“With Dusty, I know a couple of people at Richmond and they tell me it’s done … I think Richmond knows he’s gone.”

He reckoned it would be a win-win for everyone.

“There’s no losers about Dusty going to the Gold Coast,’’ Schwarz said.

“Richmond got every last drop out of him – every player he played with is better for it. Richmond might get something for him, and the Suns gets him for two years.”

And what if you’re wrong?

“I trust the people telling me, and if I’m being told a boba, that’s bad luck,” he said, playfully explaining that ‘boba’ was another word for a lie.

If Martin’s manager Ralph Carr knows what his player has planned, he’s not telling.

“I don’t know, that’s the truth,’’ Carr said. “It will be Dustin’s decision.”

AFL: Suns coach Damien Hardwick has done nothing to end speculation that Dustin Martin may be headed to the Gold Coast after Dimma said clubs would be crazy not to consider Dustin Martin, if he decides to play on.

Carr has constantly maintained the decision would be made at the end of the season, that several clubs have inquired about Martin, and that he believes Martin could play senior footy for at least another two years. It’s an unsurprising positive assessment.

Others aren’t as enthused.

Martin is 33 and before his latest back injury, he looked like a bloke who’d had enough of footy. It’s true his appreciation of the crowd and the entire footy world after his 300th game was seen as more than just a thank you. Maybe it was an unofficial goodbye?

If his career was to continue, he would need to lose several kilograms and work on his power and speed to be a good investment for the Suns. Even before then, mentally he’d have to be truthful with himself before he could be truthful with the Suns.

The open question is – has Martin had enough of footy, or has he had enough of the Tigers?

The clear indication from the Suns is that if Martin wants to play at Gold Coast, it will happen.

“He’s a really, really good player, there’s no doubt about that, and every single club would be crazy if they didn’t sit there and at some stage make an assessment,” Hardwick said this week.

“Like 17 other clubs, we’re always looking for good players. Gold Coast is no different. (But) those list management calls will get made at the back-end of the year.’’

Dustin Martin​

Drafted: No. 3, 2009 Draft
Games: 301
Premierships: 3
Honours: Norm Smith Medal x3, Brownlow Medal, Leigh Matthews Trophy, All-Australian x4, AFLCA Champion Player of the Year, Gary Ayres Award, x3, Jack Dyer Medal x2

Martin after his 300th game. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

And with the premiership cup after the 2020 grand final. Picture: Sarah Reed

THE COST

AFL great Leigh Matthews doubts if Martin is worth the investment.

“It surprises me a little bit that Gold Coast would be investing in Dustin Martin at this point,’’ Matthews said on 3AW. “Another year under his belt … where is Dustin Martin going to be as a player to really help the Suns? Maybe yes, maybe no.’’

Matthews said what others are thinking: He is a risk.

And at what cost? The Suns would get him for nothing because he would be a free agent and his salary, one rival club figure said, would be between $500,000-$600,000.

That’s much, much more than what Hawkins and Martin’s former teammate Jack Riewoldt, for example, signed-on for in their twilight of the playing careers.

The marketing advantages of having Dusty at the AFL-run Suns in a growth market cannot be ignored. But they only work if Dusty gets a kick. If he performs like he has this year – 12 games, 10 goals, 11 clearances – he’d be lucky to get a game.

Maybe motivation is the issue.

Whenever the decision is made, it will be the fourth significant decision of Martin’s career. Previously, he rejected potential moves to Greater Western Sydney and to North Melbourne, and we can reveal today, he also almost became a Bomber.

A dinner at Port Melbourne’s Cafe 101 with then-Essendon coach Mark Thompson – about the same time Martin toured the Giants’ half-built stadium in September 2013, had the Martins captivated.

Damien Hardwick presents Dustin Martin with his Richmond jumper at the 2009 draft. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Damien Hardwick presents Dustin Martin with his Richmond jumper at the 2009 draft. Picture: George Salpigtidis
At the dinner were Martin, his father Shane, Carr, Thompson, then-Bombers assistant coach Simon Goodwin and the Bombers’ recruiting guru Adrian Dodoro.

“It was a memorable dinner,” Carr said. “Bomber (Thompson) said, ‘We’ll take him at Essendon, I love the guy’.

“I just loved that Bomber was representing Essendon. He said, ‘I’ve got no doubt he will be a superstar in the game and that Dustin reminded him of someone else’. I said who? He said ‘Gary Ablett when Gary first arrived at Geelong’. I can still remember it. He said the penny eventually dropped with Gary and the same would happen with Dustin. And he was right.

“I walked away from that thinking no wonder Bomber (Thompson) had won flags. Some coaches just have a way of winning over people and he won me over.

“And Shane (Martin) was very interested in exploring Essendon.’’

Despite Essendon’s best pitch, the move didn’t eventuate. The drugs saga had gripped the club – coach James Hid was suspended for 12 months a month before the dinner – and the upheaval and uncertainty was too great to deal with.

While Carr and Shane Martin were sounding boards, if not major influences on Martin’s decision to reject North Melbourne’s millions on the eve of the 2017 finals series, the 2024 decision will be Martin’s alone.

“I won’t be having a say in it, I think it has to come from him, and what he wants to do with his life,” Carr said. “He will make the right decision when he’s ready. I’m sure if Shane was around, he would say, ‘son, you’ve got to make the decision’.

“Shane was brilliant for Dustin and for me. He was a good man.”

Almost a Bomber. :eek:

THE DUSTY DECISION

We won’t get a peep out of Martin until a decision is made – Stay at Richmond; go to the Suns; or retire.

He and/or his management have spoken to the Suns, well beyond the much-publicised September 2023 meeting between Martin and Suns coach Damien Hardwick.

That time, it was with a quiet beer in a public space and laughed off as a holiday catch-up between a player and his old coach.

It was the perfect camouflage. If Hardwick was trying to woo Martin, it could be argued, why would he do it so the whole world would know?

The fact is, that at the end of last year there were discussions about Martin joining Gold Coast. But there were complications. He was contracted to Richmond. He was on a $1.4 million salary. Working out a possible trade deal with the Tigers was going to be an issue. And the Suns needed their draft selections to take three academy picks, anyhow.

No, it was put on the backburner.

As Richmond’s 2024 season has spiralled into ordinariness, speculation about Martin and the Suns permeated, as did speculation he would retire. It was said Dusty would walk away from the game about Round 6 – for good. That was incorrect. And that he was supposed to have retired after his 300th game – at the MCG against the Hawks – which was also incorrect.

Dustin Martin walks off the MCG with Noah Balta after being subbed out against Carlton. Picture: Michael Klein

This week, former Melbourne great David Schwarz lit the Martin blaze when he declared that he was “100 per cent’’ certain Martin would be at Gold Cast next year – and on a two-year deal. The “Ox” was a failed punter, but he is good with numbers.

In June, 2011, he boldly declared he was “98 per cent” confident Melbourne’s No.1 draft pick, Tom Scully, was leaving the club for Greater Western Sydney. That, too, made headlines – and Schwarz was on the money – he says he is even more confident this time around.

“I was confident about Tom,’’ he said. “Even when the president at the time, Jim Stynes, said I had no idea about the conversations he was having with Tom, I just knew.

“With Dusty, I know a couple of people at Richmond and they tell me it’s done … I think Richmond knows he’s gone.”

He reckoned it would be a win-win for everyone.

“There’s no losers about Dusty going to the Gold Coast,’’ Schwarz said.

“Richmond got every last drop out of him – every player he played with is better for it. Richmond might get something for him, and the Suns gets him for two years.”

And what if you’re wrong?

“I trust the people telling me, and if I’m being told a boba, that’s bad luck,” he said, playfully explaining that ‘boba’ was another word for a lie.

If Martin’s manager Ralph Carr knows what his player has planned, he’s not telling.

“I don’t know, that’s the truth,’’ Carr said. “It will be Dustin’s decision.”

AFL: Suns coach Damien Hardwick has done nothing to end speculation that Dustin Martin may be headed to the Gold Coast after Dimma said clubs would be crazy not to consider Dustin Martin, if he decides to play on.

Carr has constantly maintained the decision would be made at the end of the season, that several clubs have inquired about Martin, and that he believes Martin could play senior footy for at least another two years. It’s an unsurprising positive assessment.

Others aren’t as enthused.

Martin is 33 and before his latest back injury, he looked like a bloke who’d had enough of footy. It’s true his appreciation of the crowd and the entire footy world after his 300th game was seen as more than just a thank you. Maybe it was an unofficial goodbye?

If his career was to continue, he would need to lose several kilograms and work on his power and speed to be a good investment for the Suns. Even before then, mentally he’d have to be truthful with himself before he could be truthful with the Suns.

The open question is – has Martin had enough of footy, or has he had enough of the Tigers?

The clear indication from the Suns is that if Martin wants to play at Gold Coast, it will happen.

“He’s a really, really good player, there’s no doubt about that, and every single club would be crazy if they didn’t sit there and at some stage make an assessment,” Hardwick said this week.

“Like 17 other clubs, we’re always looking for good players. Gold Coast is no different. (But) those list management calls will get made at the back-end of the year.’’

Dustin Martin​

Drafted: No. 3, 2009 Draft
Games: 301
Premierships: 3
Honours: Norm Smith Medal x3, Brownlow Medal, Leigh Matthews Trophy, All-Australian x4, AFLCA Champion Player of the Year, Gary Ayres Award, x3, Jack Dyer Medal x2

THE COST

AFL great Leigh Matthews doubts if Martin is worth the investment.

“It surprises me a little bit that Gold Coast would be investing in Dustin Martin at this point,’’ Matthews said on 3AW. “Another year under his belt … where is Dustin Martin going to be as a player to really help the Suns? Maybe yes, maybe no.’’

Matthews said what others are thinking: He is a risk.

And at what cost? The Suns would get him for nothing because he would be a free agent and his salary, one rival club figure said, would be between $500,000-$600,000.

That’s much, much more than what Hawkins and Martin’s former teammate Jack Riewoldt, for example, signed-on for in their twilight of the playing careers.

The marketing advantages of having Dusty at the AFL-run Suns in a growth market cannot be ignored. But they only work if Dusty gets a kick. If he performs like he has this year – 12 games, 10 goals, 11 clearances – he’d be lucky to get a game.

Maybe motivation is the issue.

Whenever the decision is made, it will be the fourth significant decision of Martin’s career. Previously, he rejected potential moves to Greater Western Sydney and to North Melbourne, and we can reveal today, he also almost became a Bomber.

A dinner at Port Melbourne’s Cafe 101 with then-Essendon coach Mark Thompson – about the same time Martin toured the Giants’ half-built stadium in September 2013, had the Martins captivated.

At the dinner were Martin, his father Shane, Carr, Thompson, then-Bombers assistant coach Simon Goodwin and the Bombers’ recruiting guru Adrian Dodoro.

“It was a memorable dinner,” Carr said. “Bomber (Thompson) said, ‘We’ll take him at Essendon, I love the guy’.

“I just loved that Bomber was representing Essendon. He said, ‘I’ve got no doubt he will be a superstar in the game and that Dustin reminded him of someone else’. I said who? He said ‘Gary Ablett when Gary first arrived at Geelong’. I can still remember it. He said the penny eventually dropped with Gary and the same would happen with Dustin. And he was right.

“I walked away from that thinking no wonder Bomber (Thompson) had won flags. Some coaches just have a way of winning over people and he won me over.

“And Shane (Martin) was very interested in exploring Essendon.’’

Despite Essendon’s best pitch, the move didn’t eventuate. The drugs saga had gripped the club – coach James Hid was suspended for 12 months a month before the dinner – and the upheaval and uncertainty was too great to deal with.

While Carr and Shane Martin were sounding boards, if not major influences on Martin’s decision to reject North Melbourne’s millions on the eve of the 2017 finals series, the 2024 decision will be Martin’s alone.

“I won’t be having a say in it, I think it has to come from him, and what he wants to do with his life,” Carr said. “He will make the right decision when he’s ready. I’m sure if Shane was around, he would say, ‘son, you’ve got to make the decision’.

“Shane was brilliant for Dustin and for me. He was a good man.”
Love that kind of stuff

Makes you wonder how many players we almost lost or almost gained but know nothing about

would of killed us to see dusty in the red and black
thank god, they decided to invest in a drug scandal instead
Wonder how close it actually was

I’ve read a few times that the Dusty 2 GWS deal was essentially done but it was blocked by someone up the chain

Thats the one story I hope we get more context about in the future

Wonder how close it actually was

I’ve read a few times that the Dusty 2 GWS deal was essentially done but it was blocked by someone up the chain

Thats the one story I hope we get more context about in the future
yep, one day getting the whole story will be a interesting read
also got the
*roo's offer
*adelaide monster offer
*ess having a swing
would have to be a few more dark corner storys out there, its how Ralph likes to operate

Nah, it wasn’t as per this convo.

Yeah I’ve read that one but I still think a fair bit of context missing

It doesn’t make sense to me that if it was Dusty who backed out of the deal Carr would of been the one who actually passed that message on being Martin’s representative and Carr would of just said as much when recounting what happened

Like when he talks about the North Melbourne deals he says it was Martin who elected to remain a Tiger

I’ve been singing from this hymn book for weeks in relation to D Rioli. Why not Martin as well? Trade Rioli and pay half his salary for 3-years for picks 7 and 8. Trade Martin and pay half his salary over 2-years for pick 20.

A win/win/win for Tigers, Suns and the players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dusty out of contract so we don't have to pay anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they keep telling us, but Rioli has met Hardwick,
For a coffee in a public place during a mid season break. He must be gone then. So Grimes, Prestia, Naismith to retire. Dusty and Rioli to GC, Short to North or Geelong and Bolton, Baker and Graham to WA.
Do you really think the club will let all of the above happen?

Yeah I’ve read that one but I still think a fair bit of context missing

It doesn’t make sense to me that if it was Dusty who backed out of the deal Carr would of been the one who actually passed that message on being Martin’s representative and Carr would of just said as much when recounting what happened

Like when he talks about the North Melbourne deals he says it was Martin who elected to remain a Tiger
Carr gets busy and very public at times. Like the stunt to GWS. This coming contract is also Dusty's last contract with Carr. It wouldn't surprise me if Carr's office is the source of the Swarchz rumour too.

Maybe extract that bit extra out of RFC. Martin can barely get on the park this season and of course he may overcome the string of injuries.

A trade seems bizarre

So Grimes, Prestia, Naismith to retire. Dusty and Rioli to GC, Short to North or Geelong and Bolton, Baker and Graham to WA.
Well...I don't mind if they let some of it happen.

For a coffee in a public place during a mid season break. He must be gone then. So Grimes, Prestia, Naismith to retire. Dusty and Rioli to GC, Short to North or Geelong and Bolton, Baker and Graham to WA.
The point I make is Hardwick needs players who know his game intimately and Rioli would be an awesome acquisition.

He’s met with him, let’s see how it pans out.

The point I make is Hardwick needs players who know his game intimately and Rioli would be an awesome acquisition.

He’s met with him, let’s see how it pans out.
They just lost to Norf. They can just stick with us and do the same ;)

The pressure would be on him a lot more at the Suns imo than being here we are not expected to play finals. but I almost think coasting through another year with us would be bad.

The best thing would be for Dustin to retire but I think that's the least likely.

If Gold Coast played Collingwood , Carlton , Essendon, North in a grand final and duz kicks 4 goals and wins the norm smith and premiership for GC.

I would be over the moon

Well Geelong takes credit for GAJs GC awards. Sounds fair to me if we do that same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back