Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Balmey needs a statue in his honor at punt rd,fair dinkum i remember the bloke from the early-mid 70's,his contribution
and influence down there is/has been ginourmos,over 50 years,its astonishing when ya reflect on it,sure he had time out in Adelaide,coached sheemons then cut his teeth elsewhere as an administrator then comes back n helps deliver 3,living legend
Yep, and he is the only one who hasnt ran off once shit got bad.

My completely ill-informed, subjective and speculative opinion is that he will retire at year's end. I don't think he'll go north. I thinks he's a one club player but I feel he's never played for accolades or individual awards, its always been for people and his 'people' have retired or moved on.
I bloody hope your right. I see no need for him to do this gold coast move except for the Dimma factor. And if he is, at this point, choosing Dimma over the club, then thats concerning

the eye test watching him play all year. He has looked ordinary & lackluster.

He is flying to NZ mid-season when he should be focusing on rehabbing his back injury to ensure he can play ASAP. Teams rest older players for long haul interstate games to avoid the flights for these reasons, yet he is doing the opposite - missing games & taking even longer flights.

i havent seen anything reported outside of the inner bossom of the club to suggest he is "pumped" etc.
I wouldn't have thought a 3hr flight in first class would be too much of an issue.
With interstate trips it would be more about the ability to recover after a gruelling game of footy which he wasn't playing in NZ.
Optics of the trip might not be great, but the rest of it is just a beat up.

Sure sounds like he is out the door. irrelevant of what his friends & colleagues say, i think its really disappointing he is likely not going go retire a 1 club legend. We paid him enough to do that, we supported him enough to do that & gave him unparralled freedoms to that. The club couldnt have done more for him & its just crap to ignore that reality.

If Dew was coaching the Suns, would he be going? So is he leaving us to take on 'a new challenge', or is he leaving Richmond to go play for Dimma.

Club is always bigger than the individual. The fact players are wanting to leave the club to reunite with Dimma is a big concern to me. I cant recall a bigger club legend who had achieved every goal u could ever imagine leaving their club willingly to spen 1 or 2 years playing somewhere else. Its what "flag chasers" do, not 3 time P/ship players who have been "paid"

Outside of the draft pick we will get when this season ends, its been a pretty wasted year. Lets hope we strike gold in the draft.
Club has always been good to Martin. He is lucky there but probably wants to join Hardwick.

I bloody hope your right. I see no need for him to do this gold coast move except for the Dimma factor. And if he is, at this point, choosing Dimma over the club, then thats concerning

Why do you feel so sure he is going to the GC? The only people pushing this are the media who are willing it to happen so they can say ‘see we told you so.’

I’ll believe it when I see it.

I am 100% sure Dustin Martin is going to take your opinion into consideration when he weighs up his playing future. :D

So if I took an overseas trip approved by work then play golf should they replace me lol. Seriously over the media becoming a joke.
Becoming a joke?

Sure sounds like he is out the door. irrelevant of what his friends & colleagues say, i think its really disappointing he is likely not going go retire a 1 club legend. We paid him enough to do that, we supported him enough to do that & gave him unparralled freedoms to that. The club couldnt have done more for him & its just crap to ignore that reality.

If Dew was coaching the Suns, would he be going? So is he leaving us to take on 'a new challenge', or is he leaving Richmond to go play for Dimma.

Club is always bigger than the individual. The fact players are wanting to leave the club to reunite with Dimma is a big concern to me. I cant recall a bigger club legend who had achieved every goal u could ever imagine leaving their club willingly to spen 1 or 2 years playing somewhere else. Its what "flag chasers" do, not 3 time P/ship players who have been "paid"

Outside of the draft pick we will get when this season ends, its been a pretty wasted year. Lets hope we strike gold in the draft.

No, I can’t imagine legends of clubs leaving to play one or two years for someone else in their twilight either … Carey, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Hawkins, Chad Cornes, Byron Pickett, McKernan, Mick Martyn, Modra, Capper, Wade, Jezza, Winmar, Dermie, McKenna, Barry Hall, Fevola, Stevie J, Chapman, Kelly, T Cloke, Petrie, Aker, Krakouer ……..

It’s like it almost never happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

RFC didn’t win 3 premierships by allowing themselves to be affected by the bleating of a few sheep. Meeja can say whatever they wish & they will. As long as those in leadership have a clear vision/plan I’m good. We are in a state of change/transition. Happy to be patient in what has been a very difficult season for Ooze & the club overall. I’m with the coach don’t really care about the external noise about Dustin or any other issues at this stage…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whateley just comes in here for info, doesn't actually do his own journalistic work 😉
this is why the media is such a joke.....my sources, my info, my understanding, what i'm hearing is....they all say..... blah blah

it's all just "disgruntled fans", "trolls" plus "would be coaches" and general nuffies like us on social media, they get their stories, with occasional leaks from the inner circle.

Last edited:
No, I can’t imagine legends of clubs leaving to play one or two years for someone else in their twilight either … Carey, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Hawkins, Chad Cornes, Byron Pickett, McKernan, Mick Martyn, Modra, Capper, Wade, Jezza, Winmar, Dermie, McKenna, Barry Hall, Fevola, Stevie J, Chapman, Kelly, T Cloke, Petrie, Aker, Krakouer ……..

It’s like it almost never happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We will be adding Cumberland to that list

We will be adding Cumberland to that list
Legend in his own mind?

Then there were Legends in their prime who switched clubs to chase flags like Alves, Wells and Dempsey. Poor old Dempsey didn’t even get a Grand Final as North run of 5 Grand Finals came to an abrupt end.

Some chase the coin like Ablett Jr, Capper..

Some for a change of scenery (which might be in Martin’s case) like Wade, Ditterich…

Some in dispute like Jezza, Carmen?

But if Martin goes to GC it will be a trivia pursuit question on which second club he played for? Like McKenna, Hawkins, Bedford, Murphy…

Also probably better to switch club then eventually getting embarrassedly delisted like poor Brent Harvey who wished to continue but dropped. Sam Newman as well?

A question- Did David Cloke leave Richmond to Collingwood because he’s wife was a mad Magpie supporter and wanted her sons to play for the black and white?

Legend in his own mind?

Then there were Legends in their prime who switched clubs to chase flags like Alves, Wells and Dempsey. Poor old Dempsey didn’t even get a Grand Final as North run of 5 Grand Finals came to an abrupt end.

Some chase the coin like Ablett Jr, Capper..

Some for a change of scenery (which might be in Martin’s case) like Wade, Ditterich…

Some in dispute like Jezza, Carmen?

But if Martin goes to GC it will be a trivia pursuit question on which second club he played for? Like McKenna, Hawkins, Bedford, Murphy…

Also probably better to switch club then eventually getting embarrassedly delisted like poor Brent Harvey who wished to continue but dropped. Sam Newman as well?

A question- Did David Cloke leave Richmond to Collingwood because he’s wife was a mad Magpie supporter and wanted her sons to play for the black and white?

David Cloke left Richmond over a pay dispute along with Geoff Raines iirc. They wanted a pay rise and Graeme Richmond and our president Ian Wilson (I think) said no. So he went to Collingwood.

I knew Clokes wife from school and her dad was I think a committee man at Richmond back in the 70’s so I can’t imagine she would have changed from being a Tiger supporter.

Also I think David Cloke offered his boys to Richmond first but for some reason we didn’t show much interest.

I wouldn't have thought a 3hr flight in first class would be too much of an issue.
With interstate trips it would be more about the ability to recover after a gruelling game of footy which he wasn't playing in NZ.
Optics of the trip might not be great, but the rest of it is just a beat up.
if Dusty played every game this year, he would have earned approx 60k per game.

If he plays the remaining games, it goes to around $80k. if he plays no more, its arpund $100k per match.

You call in sick for your $60k a year job tomorrow, then fly to NZ, post it on ur facebook & let me know how that goes.

Standards haven fallen off a cliff. He is our highest paid player & should be leading by example to our young group ffs, not using sick leave to go visit his mates & family

good call..
have heard that he was interested in working with adel next year, but for some reason adel are not interested...
interesting what Balme will do next year?
Likely retire i think.

Not surprised ADL have cooled sinvmce he rejected them a few years back & the club has been pretty transparent that he is not the same guy he was. Also think adl might have some changes in other areas

While I'm definitely in the camp of thinking the media are going overboard, it would be good as a member to know what's going on with his future.

I guess there's a chance he still hasn't made up his mind, but that would be unlikely surely. He also hates the limelight so I suppose having a farewell tour of sorts for the last month of the season might not appeal to him either

David Cloke left Richmond over a pay dispute along with Geoff Raines iirc. They wanted a pay rise and Graeme Richmond and our president Ian Wilson (I think) said no. So he went to Collingwood.

I knew Clokes wife from school and her dad was I think a committee man at Richmond back in the 70’s so I can’t imagine she would have changed from being a Tiger supporter.

Also I think David Cloke offered his boys to Richmond first but for some reason we didn’t show much interest.
My sister knows the family really well and David has nothing good to say about the tigers , the boys were never offered to the tigers , he is also a campaigner of a bloke , Julie his wife is a lovely lady

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back