Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Cloke left Richmond over a pay dispute along with Geoff Raines iirc. They wanted a pay rise and Graeme Richmond and our president Ian Wilson (I think) said no. So he went to Collingwood.

I knew Clokes wife from school and her dad was I think a committee man at Richmond back in the 70’s so I can’t imagine she would have changed from being a Tiger supporter.

Also I think David Cloke offered his boys to Richmond first but for some reason we didn’t show much interest.
It’s all kind of getting hazy now, but if we didn’t want any of the Cloke boys it was initially Jason. Travis we were dead keen on and we argued with their dad that it would be best if all the boys didn’t end up all at the same club as they’d be competing against each other. Irony is the one we had the greatest interest in was the only one that was a pies supporter, the other two Jason and Cameron from memory were actually Richmond. Anyhow it would all been academic if the original sin of losing Cloke and Raines had never happened.

While I'm definitely in the camp of thinking the media are going overboard, it would be good as a member to know what's going on with his future.

I guess there's a chance he still hasn't made up his mind, but that would be unlikely surely. He also hates the limelight so I suppose having a farewell tour of sorts for the last month of the season might not appeal to him either
This is why its hard to see him moving to the GC where he will, like it or not, be in the limelight.

David Cloke left Richmond over a pay dispute along with Geoff Raines iirc. They wanted a pay rise and Graeme Richmond and our president Ian Wilson (I think) said no. So he went to Collingwood.

I knew Clokes wife from school and her dad was I think a committee man at Richmond back in the 70’s so I can’t imagine she would have changed from being a Tiger supporter.

Also I think David Cloke offered his boys to Richmond first but for some reason we didn’t show much interest.
Clokey's wife wanted them at Collingwood was what i could remember as he wasn't wearing the pants on that decision.
Clokey left Richmond on bad terms as you said and I think it was bc Rioli was given a better salary and was the major factor. All I remember was that I was a pissed off 17yo kid ready to move to Melbourne and our stars were playing for Collingwood. It was a long road after that and we watched a lot of terrible footy for over three decades.

Last edited:
My sister knows the family really well and David has nothing good to say about the tigers , the boys were never offered to the tigers , he is also a campaigner of a bloke , Julie his wife is a lovely lady
Yep definite campaigner still holding a grudge. I'm glad he didn't play in the Pies flag in 1990. Julie I've never met before although I saw a lot of her.

if Dusty played every game this year, he would have earned approx 60k per game.

If he plays the remaining games, it goes to around $80k. if he plays no more, its arpund $100k per match.

You call in sick for your $60k a year job tomorrow, then fly to NZ, post it on ur facebook & let me know how that goes.

Standards haven fallen off a cliff. He is our highest paid player & should be leading by example to our young group ffs, not using sick leave to go visit his mates & family
Yeah. Rightio then

Clokey's wife wanted them at Collingwood was what i could remember. Clokey wasn't wearing the pants on that decision.
Clokey left Richmond on bad terms as you said I think it was bc Rioli was given a better salary and I think this was the major factor. All I remember was that I was a pissed off 17yo kid ready to move to Melbourne and our stars were playing for Collingwood. It was a long road after that and we watched a lot of terrible footy for over three decades.

That was a shocking sequence of events for the club that really set it back for decades...

1. Raines leaves Richmond for Collingwood
2. Cloke leaves Richmond for Collingwood
3. Wood leaves Richmond for Essendon
4. Richmond supporter Tiger Imposter moves to Melbourne :tearsofjoy:

That was a shocking sequence of events for the club that really set it back for decades...

1. Raines leaves Richmond for Collingwood
2. Cloke leaves Richmond for Collingwood
3. Wood leaves Richmond for Essendon
4. Richmond supporter Tiger Imposter moves to Melbourne :tearsofjoy:
So is history going to repeat in 2025?

Martin goes to GC
Rioli goes to GC
Baker goes to WC
Which BigFooty Richmond supporter is moving to Melbourne next year?

I'm lamenting the absence of Dust golf highlights. Is the form ant good?
He's modelled his game on that other GOAT, back injury rooted, Tiger Woods. Dusty shoudda played golf when Sam Lloyd was at the club. That boy could hit a golf ball

or this GOAT

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My sister knows the family really well and David has nothing good to say about the tigers , the boys were never offered to the tigers , he is also a campaigner of a bloke , Julie his wife is a lovely lady

Is that right SB? I was sure I’d read somewhere that he himself said he offered them to us first. Maybe he was not telling the truth, particularly if he has nothing good to say about us and is still holding a grudge.

Not sure that we missed all that much anyway.

To this day, I have never understood why Richmond resigned him after he was delisted by Collingwood, just so he could reach 300 games.

Is that right SB? I was sure I’d read somewhere that he himself said he offered them to us first. Maybe he was not telling the truth, particularly if he has nothing good to say about us and is still holding a grudge.

We drafted Coughlan instead of Jason Cloke.

To this day, I have never understood why Richmond resigned him after he was delisted by Collingwood, just so he could reach 300 games.

That was all down to KB, we were struggling badly as a club at the time and had heaps of young players.

Cloke was pretty good in his last season in 1991, he ended up with 16 Brownlow votes including 9 in his last 3 games, and kicked 8 goals in the last of those games.

KB tried to talk him into playing on in 1992 but Cloke said no.

So is history going to repeat in 2025?

Martin goes to GC
Rioli goes to GC
Baker goes to WC
Which BigFooty Richmond supporter is moving to Melbourne next year?
I'm doing my very best to get out .............Some other campaigner can take my spot in this rapidly declining shithole of a place.

Last edited:

Yeah my sister and her boys are close , one if her boys is a mad pies fan got lots of stuff from David , but absolute campaigner of a bloke the other one and her glued on tigers both 20 + years ,

The GOAT was involved in getting him back

Im doing my very best to move out .............some other campaigner t can take my spot in this rapidly declining shithole of a place,
I’ve been down here over a month and leaving again next week ,it’s not the Melbourne I remember

He CAMe back to the Tigers. So why hold a grudge?

David Cloke also carried on like a tool trying to get Travis a bigger contract at the time as well. Went all public with the big fake we will leave routine. He also used to carry on at local footy as a spectator. I don’t care how good he was when he came back but we should never have had him back at the club after he left.

I'm over Dusty...
The Club and supporters have had his best...
For me...with his injuries, increasing age and family issues...it all has lessened my Dusty interest!
I hope the GOAT stays as a one Club player other than that...my waning interest lays in hoping for a F/S...
Time to move on...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back