Player Watch #4: Judd McVee – absolute jet

Remove this Banner Ad

Contested marks, drilling kicks, directing the play, super composed and doesn't second guess himself. Clip at 0:40 he evades tackles like Pendlebury.

Kid just has it.

Imagine watching this and saying he should be dropped this week.

He's got basically everything you want in a medium-sized defender: he can dash and break lines, he's solid one-on-one, he makes good decisions, he's got neat disposal, he can chase and tackle, and he even floats in for the odd intercept mark. Where the hell has he come from? I mean, no-one was talking about him last year, and he doesn't seem to have ever stood out at Casey, so how is it that he's now kicking ass at AFL level? Do we just have the best player development in the league, were we just not paying attention, or what?

He's got basically everything you want in a medium-sized defender: he can dash and break lines, he's solid one-on-one, he makes good decisions, he's got neat disposal, he can chase and tackle, and he even floats in for the odd intercept mark. Where the hell has he come from? I mean, no-one was talking about him last year, and he doesn't seem to have ever stood out at Casey, so how is it that he's now kicking ass at AFL level? Do we just have the best player development in the league, were we just not paying attention, or what?

Yeah it's bloody surprising!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not sure why he's being compared to Salem? He's basically taken Hunt's role. McVee and Salem are different players. Salem really should be taking Sparrow's role. Floating between half forward and stoppages. We should be using Salem as an outside of the stoppage type player. McVee looks to be more of a run and dash type who can play a lock down on a small forward. That is pretty much what Hunt was doing in his last few years for us. Hope he keeps up the decent form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all makes sense now why he was rated as a potential top 10 pick in his under 16's year when he was an All Australian.

I think one aspect of his game that is underrated is his intercept marking. Took another good one yesterday and shows he'd not afraid to back himself.

Another 70-100 games into him and who knows what this kid is capable of.

played well. He gets ignored a lot when we switch play so hopefully we can start using him more and he can demand the pill a bit more and starting hitting 20 touches more often because his decision making is generally very good. Very happy with is development.

I didn't think a whole lot of him at Casey last year honestly, seemed to really struggle to get involved in the games I watched. Pleasantly surprised with him so far this year, been really good.

I didn't think a whole lot of him at Casey last year honestly, seemed to really struggle to get involved in the games I watched. Pleasantly surprised with him so far this year, been really good.
Players like him probably struggle a little due to the conditions. Poorer grounds, lots more wind, poorer kicking ( lots of longer) etc. Youre probably looking for moments more than game domination

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4: Judd McVee – absolute jet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back