Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

oh dear your understanding of the game is terrible, Baker barged in and sonz backed off and made himself available for the handball which Baker couldn't execute because the Carlton defender was desperate and lunged and crashed in and the ball spillt to baltas feet who done the rest..... you are really over critical have no idea. if if Sonz attacks the ball, he gets in both Bakers and Baltas way and we don't get the goal.
Complete bollocks. If he was the real deal he would have attacked the ball when it spilled free from the Baker contest

Complete bollocks. If he was the real deal he would have attacked the ball when it spilled free from the Baker contest
his body was in backwards momentum to clear a path and be a HB recipient, stop pretending you could sum up the game better....but whatever you reckon.... then he gets set upon by three Defenders and it's a ball up and no goal. a lot of your comments are laughable. we got a goal from a chaos situation, why not just enjoy the goal and not criticise

Grigg. Houli. Short. All lambasted in their early days and dismissed as squibs.

"We'll never win a flag with Houli and Grigg in the team!" was a common refrain. They hardened up. Even Short did, for a year.

I don't know if Sonz will. But he can.

His other issue is run. He can definitely improve that. He did this last off-season but he needs to again, and again.

Grigg. Houli. Short. All lambasted in their early days and dismissed as squibs.

"We'll never win a flag with Houli and Grigg in the team!" was a common refrain. They hardened up. Even Short did, for a year.

I don't know if Sonz will. But he can.

His other issue is run. He can definitely improve that. He did this last off-season but he needs to again, and again.
Add Rance Grimes and Asbury to that list.

He’s not soft and that’s just an over reaction. He’s basically playing a role he’s not familiar with and struggling to work out what the position involves. He’s confused with whether to go or to wait, to dish off or go for goal , who to dispose too and looks confused more than anything. He’s taking too long to weigh up his options and getting into a tangle and rushing his disposals bc the risk of failure. He just needs to go in the midfield where he leant his trade from a kid and he will become a slick outside burst player. The coaches have Hopper, JGTI, Prestia, TT, Dow and even Dusty on the list as mids and they’re all slow and mostly inside. Bolton, Junior and Sonsie is what we need as exit players bc they have that quick touch release and initial breaking acceleration with excellent foot skills. Unfortunately junior is injured, Bolton is with the fairies and Sonsie is in starvation corner. He just has to be played for the rest of the year in the guts and especially with our pedestrian midfield.
People were saying Miller was soft last season, but he was disoriented bc he was playing a role he’d never played before and was hesitant in failing as it wasn’t his natural position . Confidence then leaves you as you get dropped and then when you work your way back in to the side only for the process to rinse and repeat.
Thanks for the insight Dermy.

I think the people would just like to see him crack in. We know he’s played out of his natural position, so when you get an opportunity to win contested footy you have to go for it.
The problem with his performance on the weekend wasn’t even the contest he backed away from, it was his ability to hit a target under low or no pressure. We’ve all seen in the VFL that he can use the ball well, it just hasn’t translated to the top level.

Can’t see him being dropped at the moment, so he’ll have a chance to hopefully turn it around this weekend.

Thanks for the insight Dermy.

I think the people would just like to see him crack in. We know he’s played out of his natural position, so when you get an opportunity to win contested footy you have to go for it.
The problem with his performance on the weekend wasn’t even the contest he backed away from, it was his ability to hit a target under low or no pressure. We’ve all seen in the VFL that he can use the ball well, it just hasn’t translated to the top level.

Can’t see him being dropped at the moment, so he’ll have a chance to hopefully turn it around this l
😝 Dermy. He is having a crack though and getting to the right places, but due to his unfamiliar role he’s in two minds. This has also affected his DE. We have bigger issues running around atm than Sonsie and most are on fat salaries.

I understand that he’s more of an outside midfielder but I do worry that he doesn’t crack in at all

I don’t think it’s a courage thing but more perhaps he’s been told that his role and adhering too it a little too exactly

Still I can understand why Dow has been preferred inside because Dow has no problems cracking in

Sonsie will do well. If in a few years time he doesn’t crack in the side that means we’ll have a great midfield. He’s really a winger imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back