Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

He had a good run of games. I'll be shocked if he retains his spot next week. Big off-season coming up for him.
Yep, I’ve been a huge supporter of him but he was dreadful yesterday. Still think he needs to be played in the midfield, where he was one of the best at U18 level

Watched him carefully today does not want body contact. Won't run hard to the next contest. I have said this and I'll repeat it he won't make it.
I walked past him last year, I'm about 6 foot 1 and a bit, and Sonsie was small, like very small in all aspects.

I can see why he doesn't want the body contact, but he thus needs other aspects and he has basically nothing standout.

Does not show enough at the moment and I don't think he's gonna make it, which I called before the season.

I hope I'm wrong of course.

Was pretty poor yesterday. Seems to have totally lost confidence.

So much talent and such little performance. We really need to work on these kids, and Sonsie playing to his talent would help us so much going forward.

Not looking good right now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is not a half forward and will never play well or develop in that position

play him in the midfield or play him in the 2s midfield

very very simple stuff
Half forward is a good spot for a player like Sonsie. You can run up past the wing, and down to FF. If you have class you should be able to get involved there.

Problem with Sonsie is that he doesn't cover the ground. When he first arrived I thought we had a Craig Bradley type run and overlapper. But he does not have the legs 2 years later.

He is not fast enough for his size to play midfield. Perhaps he should be put behind the ball in the VFL and see how he goes as a distributing half back. He used to have great kicking, but even that has deserted him.

Yep, I’ve been a huge supporter of him but he was dreadful yesterday. Still think he needs to be played in the midfield, where he was one of the best at U18 level
I agree but ultimately if he isn't going to be played there, he needs to make it work as a forward. His kicking used to be his strongest facet of his game but it's just not clicking at the moment and it's excruciating to watch. He doesn't get it enough to waste a possession.

I don't know what they're going to do with him but hopefully he can turn it around somehow.

I agree but ultimately if he isn't going to be played there, he needs to make it work as a forward. His kicking used to be his strongest facet of his game but it's just not clicking at the moment and it's excruciating to watch. He doesn't get it enough to waste a possession.

I don't know what they're going to do with him but hopefully he can turn it around somehow.
Big fan based on early output and disappointing to see his regression this year, especially with kane lambert as the perfect mentor. Everything appears to have gone south particularly his confidence. He was a good kick but even the 2 he had last week were lucky to hit his boot.
Suggest giving him a role shadowing Butters this week who will take him where the footy is and also give a valuable education on workrate & attacking the contest. Just a thought…

Big fan based on early output and disappointing to see his regression this year, especially with kane lambert as the perfect mentor. Everything appears to have gone south particularly his confidence. He was a good kick but even the 2 he had last week were lucky to hit his boot.
Suggest giving him a role shadowing Butters this week who will take him where the footy is and also give a valuable education on workrate & attacking the contest. Just a thought…
Butters has pace to burn and can run all day. I’d be surprised if Sonsie can stay with him.

Butters has pace to burn and can run all day. I’d be surprised if Sonsie can stay with him.
Agreed, he would undoubtedly blow him up but I think the learnings on how an elite afl footballer attacks the game would be invaluable and it may provide a spark. It may not also and he will consign himself to the afl scrapheap but we don’t have a great deal to lose at this stage and must find out about our players.
A rising tide lifts all ships…

Agreed, he would undoubtedly blow him up but I think the learnings on how an elite afl footballer attacks the game would be invaluable and it may provide a spark. It may not also and he will consign himself to the afl scrapheap but we don’t have a great deal to lose at this stage and must find out about our players.
A rising tide lifts all ships…
Seems like it would set Sonsie up for failure and give Butters free rein but, I suppose Sonsie could surprise us, and there’s not much to lose.

To the vfl for me. I'm not seeing the elite kicking, intensity, involvement. None of that needs midfield time.
You’re not seeing elite kicking bc he’s struggling to find the footy on the HFF . His intensity had been ok recently for a half or so in previous games. Involvement is the one that does actually need midfield time as he’s in the cauldron right there. He has to act and react whilst there. If you watch Dow’s game he is in the midfield and as useless as he is he still gets the footy when at the stoppages. He unfortunately can’t get involved in transition play or when ball is moving . He’s the living evidence that Sonsie would be involved more in the midfield bc stoppages are the starting point where you need presence.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of losing your cool in the games but last year in the VFL the Team was up by a cpl of goals he had been getting tagged and copping it from a Nth player he gets taken high and late by the Nth player. Sonsie gets up and knocks him right in the mouth, no push and shove just a left cross right on the chin.
Probably should’ve got 5 plus, got three.
The point is he seems like a proud person but he’s just not playing that way…
Makes sense to put time into teaching him HF and transition fwd stuff, we’re gonna have a couple of really good Mids that can just follow the ball + Mcauliff, TT with Hopper and maybe Prestia will get a knot her season to be a mentor.

But he just needs to do more, we had more I50’s but he was unsighted.

Tend to agree from what I have seen he doesn't like contact which is an obvious problem. The season is cooked so against say a North I would like to see him given a whole game in the middle like Dow was given. Might completely change the dynamic or it might show he's not up to it, but can't understand how it isn't at least worth a look. I would prefer that over seeing Prestia have 25 for one or two games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back