Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

With all the players that we will be trading this year, he might find himself in a more favourable position that suits his strength. I wouldn't even be against seeing him off half back, anything but the forward flank.

It's on him though. He needs to have a huge off-season and really work on his endurance.
100%, I’m convinced he can play and surely with Lambert & Ziebell mentoring and a really big preseason he can thrive next year with some opportunity. I really fn hope so

Sadly ranked 536th in the AFL this year even below Cumberland , Tyler Young and Ryan who are slightly above him. That means he’s performed below best 23 in all teams .
23x18= 414 would mean he’s had a terrible season although he improved on last season.
As a Medium Forward he’s ranked 98th and Cumberland 97th in the AFL so if you average 2.5 of these per team that would mean around 45 players play per week and he would struggle to be in two AFL leagues. He would sneak in at an average of three per team. Which makes sense considering all our injuries both Noah and Sonsie have been lucky to get games.
His 2022 was a great season for a beginner, but he’s fallen way off the cliff and I can’t understand why as he looked to be a potential B to A grader.
I know the Medium Forward position is unsuitable to his game, but it’s still disappointing to see where he’s at.
All he has now is one year to save his career.

He’s not a forward, and that’s on himself & the coaching staff

If he got serious about his career, the coaches wouldn’t need to play him away from the ball

If the coaches had any idea, they would choose one of the forwards in the 2s to play the position instead

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s not a forward, and that’s on himself & the coaching staff

If he got serious about his career, the coaches wouldn’t need to play him away from the ball

If the coaches had any idea, they would choose one of the forwards in the 2s to play the position instead

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Our forwards in the twos are Cumberland and Coulthard so it’s hardly inspiring and why he’s been forced sadly into the forward position. I agree he should’ve been given midfield time , but they unfortunately rate a few tractors above him

Our forwards in the twos are Cumberland and Coulthard so it’s hardly inspiring and why he’s been forced sadly into the forward position. I agree he should’ve been given midfield time , but they unfortunately rate a few tractors above him
I think it is more, Sonsie goes into beast mode with training and see what eventuates and whether he can proactively push the needle. A suggestion from afar, I am, again, not at the club, no idea what is happening there

I think it is more, Sonsie goes into beast mode with training and see what eventuates and whether he can proactively push the needle. A suggestion from afar, I am, again, not at the club, no idea what is happening there
No as he doesn’t show any indication of a beast when playing. If he had any of these traits they would show up in patches and he would build up in confidence.

No as he doesn’t show any indication of a beast when playing. If he had any of these traits they would show up in patches and he would build up in confidence.

i mean't a beast in terms of effort/application putting in the hard yards and see what happens in terms of physically going another level as well as other development possibilities he might be able to improve

i mean't a beast in terms of effort/application putting in the hard yards and see what happens in terms of physically going another level as well as other development possibilities he might be able to improve
Looking at him this year he looked to have had a big preseason so maybe one more preseason as that’s all he has left.

Sadly ranked 536th in the AFL this year even below Cumberland , Tyler Young and Ryan who are slightly above him. That means he’s performed below best 23 in all teams .
23x18= 414 would mean he’s had a terrible season although he improved on last season.
As a Medium Forward he’s ranked 98th and Cumberland 97th in the AFL so if you average 2.5 of these per team that would mean around 45 players play per week and he would struggle to be in two AFL leagues. He would sneak in at an average of three per team. Which makes sense considering all our injuries both Noah and Sonsie have been lucky to get games.
His 2022 was a great season for a beginner, but he’s fallen way off the cliff and I can’t understand why as he looked to be a potential B to A grader.
I know the Medium Forward position is unsuitable to his game, but it’s still disappointing to see where he’s at.
All he has now is one year to save his career.
I agree there’s disappointing elements to his game, but would like to see him continue to get opportunities, as the talent is definitely there. Could be one who could definitely use some Emma Murray type mental work. I feel like a lot of his down falls could be helped with a bit more self belief.

I agree there’s disappointing elements to his game, but would like to see him continue to get opportunities, as the talent is definitely there. Could be one who could definitely use some Emma Murray type mental work. I feel like a lot of his down falls could be helped with a bit more self belief.
Great post this. Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screenshot_20240822-135602.png
Seems like the club are happy with his positioning in and around the contests which is what I've always suspected. A lot of people weren't happy with the way he stayed on the outside when he was at AFL level. It's clearly been a directive he has been told to follow so I think the "soft" accusations need to stop.

View attachment 2087461
Seems like the club are happy with his positioning in and around the contests which is what I've always suspected. A lot of people weren't happy with the way he stayed on the outside when he was at AFL level. It's clearly been a directive he has been told to follow so I think the "soft" accusations need to stop.

His efforts however many weeks ago at AFL level were soft. Likely a contributing factor as to why he was omitted from the team.

That doesn't mean he can't go back to the lower level, work on it and hopefully put his hand up for another opportunity - which is what he appears to be doing.

View attachment 2087461

I did see Jagga Smith and Sonsie in a bit of a heated on-field discussion at one point in the Sandy game and I am sure that would have been around the differences between the system Sonsie was playing to and the way Jagga was operating. So testing out Smith, Langford, O'Sullivan has probably made things a bit trickier than normal for Sonsie in his role.

have heard from a reliable source he will be delisted
I reckon I'm a better chance of becoming the Premier of VIC than you actually having a source at all, let alone a reliable one.

I'm prepared to die on this hill. Sonsie will make it as a solid AFL footballer.

have heard from a reliable source he will be delisted
Lying Simon Rex GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt Nasty

I wouldn't be taking a trip overseas this year if I were him, be hitting that gym and training track.
this:arrowup:
He would have to know its getting close to the last chance saloon..
If he doesn’t secure a permanent spot next year a new tiger cub will push his name aside.
work,work and more work is his antidote

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back