Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of people writing him off in this thread, as if they've already forgotten how long it took some of our premiership era stars to become good players.

Sonsie is 21, I'm prepared to give him more time.
He has another year contract. But with so many top 20 picks coming in and being midfielder, he either has to be better than them by the end of next year or be able to play a different position. Either way he needs a massive preseason but I hope he does it. He was a massive talent and things haven't gone his way but if he can turn it around then our 14th premiership midfield is just about built by November 1 2024

He has another year contract. But with so many top 20 picks coming in and being midfielder, he either has to be better than them by the end of next year or be able to play a different position. Either way he needs a massive preseason but I hope he does it. He was a massive talent and things haven't gone his way but if he can turn it around then our 14th premiership midfield is just about built by November 1 2024
It's possible/ likely Macintosh, Prestia, possibly Lynch if he has a bad injury run, then you have guys like Dow, Coulthard, Cumberland who may or may not be on the list already, by the end of next year might all go, and who knows which 1 or 2 other players might seek a trade, as is the cycle every year.

Point is, there's enough change that I think Sonsie who is 22 all of next year, still provides a list spot as long as he is improving as a player.

We don't need 44 superstars to build our next flag, we need a balanced list and can improve given we will be bringing in a lot of kids, he could still hold his spot because he's that little bit older which helps balance the age profile rather than replacing him with another 2024 or 2025 draftee.

Remember, to win a flag, even your depth players are important. Even if he sits in that 20-30th guy on the list, you still need those guys to build a premiership list when injuries strike.

He does need to have one of those really hard-working preseasons though, and crack into the side for some games at least next year though.

Sad to see his draft profile raps and then see what he’s become now. Was an article of him and daicos going head to head in a big rivalry in round 2 of the 2021 nab league lol
That just tells me he is worth persisting with.

It's possible/ likely Macintosh, Prestia, possibly Lynch if he has a bad injury run, then you have guys like Dow, Coulthard, Cumberland who may or may not be on the list already, by the end of next year might all go, and who knows which 1 or 2 other players might seek a trade, as is the cycle every year.

Point is, there's enough change that I think Sonsie who is 22 all of next year, still provides a list spot as long as he is improving as a player.

We don't need 44 superstars to build our next flag, we need a balanced list and can improve given we will be bringing in a lot of kids, he could still hold his spot because he's that little bit older which helps balance the age profile rather than replacing him with another 2024 or 2025 draftee.

Remember, to win a flag, even your depth players are important. Even if he sits in that 20-30th guy on the list, you still need those guys to build a premiership list when injuries strike.

He does need to have one of those really hard-working preseasons though, and crack into the side for some games at least next year though.
We have about 40 depth players ;)

That just tells me he is worth persisting with.
Played golf with a young bloke recently that played in that year v sonz , said he was clearly head and shoulders one of best talents going around , he was honestly surprised he hadn’t kicked on . Hope we find the tonic

Played golf with a young bloke recently that played in that year v sonz , said he was clearly head and shoulders one of best talents going around , he was honestly surprised he hadn’t kicked on . Hope we find the tonic
It just proves that U18 tallent dosnt mean everything.
Its really projecting how they will transition to AFL. The game and the life style and commitment.

I suspect that Sonz is one of those guys where the penny drops and it all clicks. ... or not.

Right now I reckon he just doesn't fit at the AFL level. Some of his kicks seem to to show no belief in his ability to do the job, despite his obvious skill. He is a great ball getter at VFL, but at AFL he seems timid, or somehow just doesn't fit into the play.

He frustrates me because he has the talent to be very good. But just doesn't bring it.

I have no idea, but he seems to me to be immature. Often that sort of guy struggles when they have to always try, and have to accept failure and go again, and again.

Sometimes they grow up and actually play to their talent. Sometimes they don't grow up and never match their talent - See Sydney Stack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #40 Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back