Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

You and I both know who is getting that number, personally think he will stay in the 45 for his whole career.

Likely going to Shiel but being the BJ lookalike it would look great wrapped around Redman

I know McGrath seems to be the one who is being played up the field which makes sense given his footy nous and quick hands but there's a huge part of me that thinks McKenna should be given first crack. Because with physical tools he has and exquisite field kicking IF he managed to become a gun he could be one of the more damaging players in the comp.

I know McGrath seems to be the one who is being played up the field which makes sense given his footy nous and quick hands but there's a huge part of me that thinks McKenna should be given first crack. Because with physical tools he has and exquisite field kicking IF he managed to become a gun he could be one of the more damaging players in the comp.
Was saying this last year. Reckon he would be an amazing winger

Conor has improved out of sight but can he cut it on the wings for an entire game? From memory he sometimes struggled to read the ball when he played forward or had stints in the guts and was much more comfortable with the play unfolding in front of him. Don't get me wrong, he has improved but wingers cannot be reactive or slow in thought - something Conor can be accused of at times but can mask with his speed.

Conor has improved out of sight but can he cut it on the wings for an entire game? From memory he sometimes struggled to read the ball when he played forward or had stints in the guts and was much more comfortable with the play unfolding in front of him. Don't get me wrong, he has improved but wingers cannot be reactive or slow in thought - something Conor can be accused of at times but can mask with his speed.

I'd also say that we don't use our wings like some other teams or in what would be the traditional or conventional way.

Our wings tend to overlap in defence to provide cover for the half backs to attack.

Zones and changed ball movement has altered the way wingmen operate. I wouldn't look at McKenna on a wing and think he'd necessarily be in more damaging positions more often.

We've got at least three tall rangy types that are suited to playing in the defensive manner we require of wingmen.

Having McKenna is probably the best use of his skills because it's from half back that he can run at the game.

He'd probably need another 50 games before he'd have the sense to play in the middle. If he'd grown up with Australian football he'd be Dangerfield.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Boy!

Got me a little bit excited a few of the boys said he's been the standout of the preseason. Can't wait for this bloke to fulfill his potential! Such a weapon!

I was really surprised when some nominated him as the standout of the preseason simply because he has been injured a fair bit especially pre xmas and I had thought he wasn't doing all that much. I think it goes to show how good an athlete he actually is. Pretty much the ideal for a modern day small defender in terms of attributes.

I know he's my boy and I should be pumping him up but this has to be said. I'm not sure enough has been said about how poor his game was on Sunday. Made some costly errors and doesn't seem to have ironed out any of the kinks that should have been ironed out by now.

He should have this tremendous amount of upside but I'd argue he hasn't really improved much since mid 2017.

I know he's my boy and I should be pumping him up but this has to be said. I'm not sure enough has been said about how poor his game was on Sunday. Made some costly errors and doesn't seem to have ironed out any of the kinks that should have been ironed out by now.

He should have this tremendous amount of upside but I'd argue he hasn't really improved much since mid 2017.

Said it earlier in this thread. Reckon he should be a winger or half forward. People that creative with the ball in hand or on the ground need to be in thr attacking half.

You can deal with him being crea tyive in the forward half but not in the back half.

Use him lkike Geelong used Stevie Johnson. Give him free rein to cause mayhem up front near goal.

I'm a massive fan of McKenna he's a great athlete, and a damaging kick but I do thnk he's just one of those players that you have to take the good with the bad sometimes. He's someone that you need to simplify the game for. As I said in the other thread, the coaches should be telling him not to kick short from kick-ins anymore. Its only a small change but it will help him and the team.

Playing McKenna on a wing is a legitimate choice but we have to be prepared to bring McGrath to the backline if we are going to do that. I personally would prefer he stayed back. I also don't believe he is capable of accumulating the amount of ball that would be required for him to really be a force on the wing, he's not a ball magnet type.

I also don't believe he is capable of accumulating the amount of ball that would be required for him to really be a force on the wing, he's not a ball magnet type.

If McKenna was playing on the wing, and driving the ball inside F50 he would only need it 15 times to have a big impact.

If McKenna was playing on the wing, and driving the ball inside F50 he would only need it 15 times to have a big impact.

The most comparable winger in style I could think of might be someone like Isaac Smith (speed and kicking skills) and he still needs more than 15 touches to have a big impact. I'm not a believer in low possession players on the wings. Not to mention its absolutely robbing Peter to pay Paul in terms of what it does to our defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back