Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I just love the way he runs. He really has a powerful gallop type run. Reminds me a lot of Jason Johannisen.

I definitely don't think midfield would be beyond him, but the role he plays now is pretty important to the team anyway. So either way he's very valuable.

first of all well done on making the u22 side, great to se him get a bit of kudos from outside of Essendon..

but I just want to say how much of a freak this guy is, that he doesn't really get recognized for his ability.

Forgetting all the pace and movement and bodywork and everything else, the regulation stuff, I reckon he possesses a skill that not many if any one else has in the AFL. Time and again you'll see him running toward the boundary, or toward a cul de saq of players and you think man, hows he getting out of here? But there will be a little gap, He has this freak ability to kick around the corner, on part of his instep with a regular drop punt that goes straight. Most of all players have to kick the screw punt when they go around corners but he can do it with a normal punt kick. Clearly it comes from kicking the round ball around corners but this is some skill, and he spots up the player almost every time.

Genius.
There was a kick to Walla on Friday night...he was at full tilt, got it just a little bit to the outside of his boot and made it fade away from the defender straight to Walla.and to his advantage....didn’t mark it but only because the defender infringed, he really couldn’t do anything else.

The lad is a beautiful kick of the ball.

Any rumours there of Conor McKenna returning home to play for Tyrone in their final next week? Gathering momentum in Ireland that he could be a surprise inclusion for them when they take on Dublin chasing 4 in a row on Sunday week.

Any rumours there of Conor McKenna returning home to play for Tyrone in their final next week? Gathering momentum in Ireland that he could be a surprise inclusion for them when they take on Dublin chasing 4 in a row on Sunday week.

I haven't heard any. Would they (Tyrone) really want to risk it?

Have to admit seeing how well they have been going has me worried a bit. Must be a bit tempting for him to go back for a year or two and potentially be part of an All Ireland winning team.

I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of dollars we are paying him is tempting to hang around for too...

He will be able to go back and play Gaelic at a high standard into his 40s probably

I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of dollars we are paying him is tempting to hang around for too...

He will be able to go back and play Gaelic at a high standard into his 40s probably
Not to mention the meat at Saad’s mum’s place.

I haven't heard any. Would they (Tyrone) really want to risk it?

Have to admit seeing how well they have been going has me worried a bit. Must be a bit tempting for him to go back for a year or two and potentially be part of an All Ireland winning team.

Tyrone are massive underdogs, Dublin are 1/7 odds on to win. Tyrone winning would be the biggest shock in over 35 years, so they'd risk anything to try win. Whether McKenna himself sees it worthwhile after a tough season is another thing. I'd be hugely surprised if he is named on their squad. I think it's just inventive rumours the week of a final. Just wondering if anything has been heard in Melbourne.

I wouldn't think he'd be back playing in his 40s or even mid 30s either. If he has a long career out there in AFL his body would be in bits and no way he'd play at top level. Would play with his club alright but not Tyrone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be surprised if his contract would allow him to play anyway. Lots of things players can't do eg. snow skiing etc

I would be surprised if his contract would allow him to play anyway. Lots of things players can't do eg. snow skiing etc

Zach Tuohy has gone home and played with his club a number of times since he was signed up in AFL. And usually much deeper into off season than one week, so it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't anything prohibiting McKenna from playing. It would surprise me if he does play though.

Named in the 22 under 22 on the half back flank.

I fell in love with him very early on when he was playing VFL and just pushing the fringes of the seniors but it still staggers me he's come this good this quickly.

Anyone notice his double handed paddles of the ball he does at ground level before he takes possession under pressure.

It allows him to accelerate away from opposition players while the ball is at ground level in a contest and also makes the ball kick up so he barley breaks stride gathering it. Very subtle but affective.

Its tricky to get footage of it unless i hunt down a game download to chop up.

Against GWS is the best version I've seen of him do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back