Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez lots of early crows about him not making it in the afl… 3rd game, almost a year after his second. Chill the beans my dudes, give him a chance.
I’m not saying he’s 100% gonna make it but I think there’s definitely a player there.
Needs a block of games to get the feel for it imo.

Having said that, they’ll probably drop him. heck

Not sure he'll make it but I'd like to give him more than 3 games to make a call.

Jesse Motlop

Game 1 - 9 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal
Game 2 - 12 disposals, 2 marks, 0 tackles, 1 goal 3 behinds
Game 2 - 7 disposals, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 goal

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Game 1 - 6 disposals, 0 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal
Game 2 - 3 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 1 goal
Game 3 - 14 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 goals

Hansen Jnr

Game 1 - 4 disposals, 0 marks, 2 tackles, 1 behind
Game 2 - 3 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 1 behind
Game 3 - 5 disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal

Blake Drury

Game 1 - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 1 behind
Game 2 - 7 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 0 scores
Game 3 - 6 disposals, 0 marks, 0 tackles, 0 scores.

Cooper Harvey

Game 1 - 10 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal
Game 2 - 13 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 0 scores
Game 3 - 5 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 0 scores

Last edited:

Not sure he'll make it but I'd like to give him more than 3 games to make a call.
Hansen Jnr
Game 1 - 4 disposals, 0 marks, 2 tackles, 1 behind
Game 2 - 3 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 1 behind
Game 3 - 5 disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal
I think you’re right not sure if he’ll make it but he deserves an opportunity to prove otherwise.

Also, EFA, the goal on the weekend was his first AFL goal.

at least he has an attribute (speed). that's a huge upgrade on basic drury.

needs a reality check with regards to his intensity and tackling. Sit him down and lay it out real simple...get some fire in the belly and make some defenders panic., if you don't your AFL career is over.

please make it click. I'd sell my left nut for a decent small forward.

I think you’re right not sure if he’ll make it but he deserves an opportunity to prove otherwise.

Also, EFA, the goal on the weekend was his first AFL goal.
Good catch, updated. At least a follow up game against the Cats after adjusting to the pace of AFL.
I'm sure they'll want to give Cooper a few games as well to see how he's progressing and get some games into Zane.

The fact this bloke is playing seniors is a blight on our list and an indication of why we are so bad.

Geez lots of early crows about him not making it in the afl… 3rd game, almost a year after his second. Chill the beans my dudes, give him a chance.
I’m not saying he’s 100% gonna make it but I think there’s definitely a player there.
Needs a block of games to get the feel for it imo.

Having said that, they’ll probably drop him. heck
Has ability but I'm not sure a block of games will help him. He's simply too small. I wouldn't get rid of him, but he needs to hit the gym to compete. He definitely has ability.

The fact this bloke is playing seniors is a blight on our list and an indication of why we are so bad.
Rubbish, he earned it with strong performances in the VFL.

Took him a while to believe he belonged at VFL level and will likely take the same at AFL level. IF he gets the chance. He's no certainty to be on the list next year, much will depend how he finishes the year. But his VFL form has been as good as anyone's over the past month.

Last edited:
Fact he slotted that goal, in a Carlton home game is huge.

The chase deserves more considering the two pauses in momentum he had.
Not expecting him to be a great tackler, just needs to be above Stephenson and Stephens when we talk about the not falling below a certain limit

Took him a while to believe he belonged at VFL level and will likely take the same at AFL level. IF he gets the chance. He's no certainty to be on the list next year, much will depend how he finishes the year. But his VFL form has been as good as anyone's over the past month.

Will get a month to prove whether he deserves a spot on the list next year, the same as Curtis Taylor got.

It would be pretty amateur to give a young kid 1 week. Atleast tell him you’re playing for a few weeks to get a feel for the game and chance to make an impact without fear or failure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To think we were playing CCJ and Biggy early in the year, i would say the list has come on a long way as we are fielding a competitive team but we now need some depth, Bobby dazzler is virtually the only bona fide small fwd on the list, so even worst case scenario we dont get another small theres plenty of scope to keep him on the list. at minimum give him a 12 month extension as there will be a lot more spaces possibly freeing up next year where he potentially may have stepped up a few notches.

He still needs to build up his fitness over another preseason. There was a couple of moments where he was significantly trailing his opponents into the D50, which wasn't through lack of effort. His form in the VFL warrants a second week in the seniors, but unsure if he'll get that.

Regardless of his lower moments would absolutely give him a bank of senior games.

He's a completely different player to our other small forward options. In fact he's the only genuine crumber/opportunist type on the list in terms of agility/pace.

He has zip that Cooper and Blake don't, not that they couldn't find their place in other ways.

North Big Footy: We need a small forward, why can't just draft or trade for a small forward, we're so bad.

North small forward plays his 3rd AFL game

North Big Footy: Why didn't he kick 5 goals? Needs to tackle more? Needs to run quicker.

at least he has an attribute (speed). that's a huge upgrade on basic drury.

needs a reality check with regards to his intensity and tackling. Sit him down and lay it out real simple...get some fire in the belly and make some defenders panic., if you don't your AFL career is over.

please make it click. I'd sell my left nut for a decent small forward.
Its clear you don't work in list management at club then. Lol

Took a while to build in the VFL so not exactly surprised at the low input in the 1s, he hasn't strung together 2 games in a row yet. Happy to see what he can do with a bit of a run, we need a small forward to step up.

He still needs to build up his fitness over another preseason. There was a couple of moments where he was significantly trailing his opponents into the D50, which wasn't through lack of effort. His form in the VFL warrants a second week in the seniors, but unsure if he'll get that.
While building up his fitness is an issue which a preseason will help l think he's issues are he is not the type of player who likes to apply the physical stuff. This is the main issue that he has to change to make it to the next step. Maybe getting him to train with Warlaw and see how he approches tackling will help him but self belief definatley needs to be addressed.

Don't see the harm in giving Robbie a block of games to show what he can offer. He looks like the type of player that needs time for his confidence at the level to develop before he can really shine. This might happen, it might not. It's not like we are fighting for a spot in the 8 or anything.
Wouldn't mind Cooper Harvey getting a couple of games as well if the opportunity arises.
I watched Jacko Archer in the VFL before he made his AFL debut and he looked to be miles off being an AFL player but he got his chance and is making a good fist of it.
Shit, I thought Jeremy Clayton was a promising prospect but he was gone pretty quickly, but given a good run in the seniors he might have made it. Who really knows? Did anyone seriously think X would become the player he's developed into after his first 3 games?

Don't see the harm in giving Robbie a block of games to show what he can offer. He looks like the type of player that needs time for his confidence at the level to develop before he can really shine. This might happen, it might not. It's not like we are fighting for a spot in the 8 or anything.
Wouldn't mind Cooper Harvey getting a couple of games as well if the opportunity arises.
I watched Jacko Archer in the VFL before he made his AFL debut and he looked to be miles off being an AFL player but he got his chance and is making a good fist of it.
Shit, I thought Jeremy Clayton was a promising prospect but he was gone pretty quickly, but given a good run in the seniors he might have made it. Who really knows? Did anyone seriously think X would become the player he's developed into after his first 3 games?
I thought he'd make it but not play to the level he has.

He kicked four goals in his first four games. Didn't get alot of it but took some good marks, some contested marks and made a bunch of tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back