Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy to forget he's only 20. Not as clean as I'd like, but showed not only a want to chase and tackle today, but that he has the speed to make an impact when he does. Still a long way off it, but ahead of Harvey and Drury at the moment for me based purely on speed.

Yeah I hope we keep playing him, he has good game sense, pace and neat skills. But I'm sure the majority of sensible types see that he's half in and half out of many contests, paces himself to the speed of the current play.

Once he has the confidence I'm positive he'll but the foot down and become a dangerous type for us.
That happened after his goal. you could tell he had a bit more belief and he chased and he tackled hard as a result.

Goes for the footy with one hand.
Laid a few nice tackles but overall not sure what others are seeing that screams recontract.
Spicer was a bigger soft **** but RHJ ain’t that far behind him. Having said that I was impressed with a couple of the tackles he laid against West Coast. May survive simply because we have sweet FA small forwards. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of competition would be the biggest plus he has going, we literally have no other small lively forwards.
Rather than go to the draft I’d prefer we trade in a nippy small forward (and an experienced midfielder). That’s how we can fast track our improvement.

Yeah I hope we keep playing him, he has good game sense, pace and neat skills. But I'm sure the majority of sensible types see that he's half in and half out of many contests, paces himself to the speed of the current play.

Once he has the confidence I'm positive he'll but the foot down and become a dangerous type for us.
Positive but also fair and realistic

Rather than go to the draft I’d prefer we trade in a nippy small forward (and an experienced midfielder). That’s how we can fast track our improvement.
You have your eyes closed since the bye? Our improvement is palpable.

Which small forward would you like to trade for? Owies? Because thats about all thats on offer.

We would be trying to develop/fast track Geordie

You have your eyes closed since the bye? Our improvement is palpable.

Which small forward would you like to trade for? Owies? Because thats about all thats on offer.

We would be trying to develop/fast track Geordie
Our improvement has been positive but I’m talking fast track - as in rapid improvement. We know from our experience with JHF that contracts can be broken and clubs having to salary dump that some contracted players become available.

Our improvement has been positive but I’m talking fast track - as in rapid improvement. We know from our experience with JHF that contracts can be broken and clubs having to salary dump that some contracted players become available.
“fast track” isn’t really a thing.. Cohesion is whats needed to build team confidence. I agree that we need a crafty pressure small forward, but they are hard to find and I wouldn’t break the salary cap for one

“fast track” isn’t really a thing.. Cohesion is whats needed to build team confidence. I agree that we need a crafty pressure small forward, but they are hard to find and I wouldn’t break the salary cap for one
There was a premiership one available at end of last season....perhaps we might have gone after him?

I don’t think it has been said but the fact that he is even in the d50 means that he is willing to work back down to follow his player and provide extra coverage.

It’s so easy as a forward to just jog around centre wing or just out side of d50 and wait until the ball exits.

Due to the lack of competition in the small fwd space, I’d like to see what he can do with another pre-season under his belt. He’s adjusting to the speed of the game but still needs to work on tackling and reading players better.

Did someone say crafty?
1009189.png

He was better overall yesterday, but he is still hesitant and reactive around the contest. Noticed a couple of times yesterday around a contest when he was the obvious outlet, he didn't move until the ball was on its way and then he didn't get it clean, ie stuck one hand out or was under more pressure. A quicker anticipation (or desire to get the receive) and he would have been away. I would persist as long as he is keen to stay in Melbourne and continues to work on his weaknesses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back