Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He was better overall yesterday, but he is still hesitant and reactive around the contest. Noticed a couple of times yesterday around a contest when he was the obvious outlet, he didn't move until the ball was on its way and then he didn't get it clean, ie stuck one hand out or was under more pressure. A quicker anticipation (or desire to get the receive) and he would have been away. I would persist as long as he is keen to stay in Melbourne and continues to work on his weaknesses.

Just needs to adjust to the speed of the game. Plenty of worse small forwards have been given more time to develop. I think with a consistent run of games and another preseason he’ll see the same form increase in the AFL as he did in the VFL.

No looking back now - future hall of famer after that comment
Mad Comedy Central GIF by Workaholics

Actually liked him yesterday when he was near the ball it looked like something might happen. The bar is low but would him playing on a wing or HBF be the worst idea? Bring Geordie Payne in as the pressure forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's getting games with regularity which suggests he's in the plans for next season, although Flynn Perez was in a similar boat to close out last season iirc.

Was better on the weekend and I'm at least pleased to see him good things. Not to mention we've wanted to see him put his body in, now he needs to work on how he does it because he nearly cleaned himself up.

Given we have zero other small forwards ready to go he should keep getting games unless the wheels fall off completely. Worth some investment given where we are at.

Just needs to adjust to the speed of the game. Plenty of worse small forwards have been given more time to develop. I think with a consistent run of games and another preseason he’ll see the same form increase in the AFL as he did in the VFL.
Agree, think he's starting to get into some dangerous positions, and hitting the contest harder. Needs that game where he kicks 3 or 4 to really start believing in himself the way he did at VFL level....I think it will come. Certainly worth another season.

It’s alot easier for players like Robert to show their wares in a strong contending team. When you are in a young team at the bottom every mistake is punished and you can play much more tentatively in fear that you will make an error. In a strong side you know you can take risks as they will be able to cover for you. We are not at that stage just yet.

Zane > RHJ every day of the week. Not even a discussion for me
Apples and oranges, surely. RHJ's competing with the tumbleweeds for a forward pocket spot whilst Zane contends with two blokes the same height as him who play the same way as him.

I don't think Zane was stiff to be demoted to sub, tbh. He's young and all but he's a champion (atm) of doing **** all for entire halves of football. Ford and Zurhaar, for all the grievances people might have, generally stay involved more than that and put more effort in than that

RHJ should watch a few tapes of Darcy Jones games, i love the way he goes about it.
Darcy looks great, so does Harvey Thomas. GWS are currently playing four pacy small forwards plus Toby. Hawthorn are also playing four and looking great. Meanwhile we are debating whether or not we should axe the only one on our list. If only Clarko could construct an exciting game plan around playing seven small, one-paced, midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back