Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Our board loves to overrate non AFL standard players and 'want to see more' and then in the next sentence wonder why we're so shit.

He isn't AFL standard. No big deal but stop trying to convince yourselves otherwise.

Iam not going to argue with this premise as i see heaps of it, just today for Example,
CCJ is 25 so many years to come

And no i didnt make that up! but the difference is some are the worst of their category and some are the best, like it or not bobby dazzler is the best of the small fwds on our list. Happy for him to be desisted if and when we get a better option.

Iam not going to argue with this premise as i see heaps of it, just today for Example,

And no i didnt make that up! but the difference is some are the worst of their category and some are the best, like it or not bobby dazzler is the best of the small fwds on our list. Happy for him to be desisted if and when we get a better option.

sometimes it takes a block of games or a couple of preseasons for players to hit their straps and he's improved a fair bit in the 2nd half of the season after a slow start so worth another year IMO

some on here were all for delisting Xerri as apparently he wasn't AFL standard, same with Archer too

Our board loves to overrate non AFL standard players and 'want to see more' and then in the next sentence wonder why we're so shit.

He isn't AFL standard. No big deal but stop trying to convince yourselves otherwise.

RHJ has had one preseason in an AFL system, after moving across the country.
He doesn't strike me as the pure confidence type such as Wizard who look ready to go immediately because they aren't afraid to get things wrong. I think Hansen has showed some signs of having talents for his position and we can't be ditching the kid after only 18 months on the list.
There are more worthy candidates to be delisted imo, who have had the time and patience to show what they can do, and havent performed. There's no point cutting everyone who hasn't shown solid form as we still need players to replace them. Besides our first pick and second pick and maybe a trade or two, we don't have many sources of replacements (unless we want to keep trading in mature spuds who we already know the potential of).

sometimes it takes a block of games or a couple of preseasons for players to hit their straps and he's improved a fair bit in the 2nd half of the season after a slow start so worth another year IMO

some on here were all for delisting Xerri as apparently he wasn't AFL standard, same with Archer too
Great post. Some of the past and present players we laud on here…go back and have a look at their early player pages. The posts are embarrassing. It is an emotional game and I get it…we have been crud for a while. But the write-offs after sub 20 games some regular posters say about certain players, then have the audacity to omit all of that when they breakout….thank f**k they are no where near a football department, to be honest they should have their internet access removed.

You always give players like Xerri and Archer who show genuine heart and desperation more time though

You always give players like Xerri and Archer who show genuine heart and desperation more time though
Nah people wanted Archer gone regardless of that because he was injured and "not really showing much".
Arch showed good glimpses under Noble so that's why I saw a player in there.
He also recently said a coach like Barlow or Adcock gave him a lot of confidence that he was AFL standard.

Now I'm far from convinced on Bobby so far but I see some glimpses so if the club and development team think there's a player there, given them the time to develop them.
Some players need longer to adjust. I thought Lachie Hansen was an absolutely laconic spud. I was proven wrong.
Same with Xerri, just thought he was a 2nd or 3rd string ruck. I was dead wrong.

Will he make it?

Who knows? Certainly not me.

But I reckon Clarko would have a better sense than anyone on BigFooty. So if he gets more games after the initial look he’s had to date, it suggests Clarko sees something there to work with. I doubt he is getting games just for structure.

Unless, of course, we’re tanking for higher draft picks for the 5th consecutive year…

Sorry to be a negative nancy but I just feel like we're trying to make something out nothing here.
He offers a lot more than Narrier or Spicer. Mahony couldn't keep on the park and was probably too slow for the small forward role. He has not shown much but the bar is low and he has put a couple of good performances in at VFL.

RHJ has been good in the VFL so it's no surprise he is getting a decent look in. Didn't look half bad on the weekend either.

I reckon this week he'll show something. If he's emergency it is a real shame.

Great post. Some of the past and present players we laud on here…go back and have a look at their early player pages. The posts are embarrassing. It is an emotional game and I get it…we have been crud for a while. But the write-offs after sub 20 games some regular posters say about certain players, then have the audacity to omit all of that when they breakout….thank f**k they are no where near a football department, to be honest they should have their internet access removed.

Internet access removed

I lold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He offers a lot more than Narrier or Spicer. Mahony couldn't keep on the park and was probably too slow for the small forward role. He has not shown much but the bar is low and he has put a couple of good performances in at VFL.

If this was meant to be a positive, it's not...

RHJ has been good in the VFL so it's no surprise he is getting a decent look in. Didn't look half bad on the weekend either.

I reckon this week he'll show something. If he's emergency it is a real shame.
Did he look half good? Because if he did I missed it. :stern look

Did he look half good? Because if he did I missed it. :stern look
Kicked a goal, set up another, made one goal saving tackle and a few others that weren't as effective and ran up and down all day.

Could have got it alot more but the stuff he did was worth three goals to us.

I watch him hoping he will show something but it's hard to see it. He's not quick. He's not physical. Doesn't really look like a natural footballer either. He's not really that good a kick. I don't mind giving him another 12 months & agree people are over emotional at times. I never wanted Archer delisted so not in that camp. But it isn't great watching Hansen Jnr at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back