AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed but he was not a back pocket which the post was saying, hb/wing cruiser
well yeah, but i >think< he was likely put there in place of martin going forward/redman being out. it's one performance. i'm not sold, i don't think anyone is, but he played well enough to warrant another go, regardless of exactly where it is in d50. he played an accountable brand which we needed, and played to his strengths. i can't recall too many times where he ****ed up beyond his missed set shot.

look at it from what it was - a small highlight in an otherwise poor performance.

Indeed but he was not a back pocket which the post was saying, hb/wing cruiser
Agree. Played well enough but it was half back flank with some wing.

I’ve never had a whipping boy at Essendon. I’ve always backed my lads in even if they aren’t going to make the grade. But here we are. I couldn’t understand how people had Menzie as a lock in our team for round 1. I still can’t understand how he gets a game. What is he as a footballer? We’re no clearer. He just doesn’t make things happen and hasn’t found a role that he excels in. Just make the call Essendon and focus on other players now. Please.

Starting to think I'm a kiss of death with regards to player thread creations.

Menzie.
Tsatas.
D'Ambrosio.
Lord.
Voss.
McDonagh.
Wanganeen.

No sooner had I created a thread for El Hawli he hurts himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand the point of playing him off half back. Either we play him as a small forward or he stays in the VFL.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
What it tells you is that the club now accepts that he is not up to it as a forward. If he can’t use his football ability elsewhere he is goneski.

Haven't changed my view on this guy. Just doesn't have any elite strengths unfortunately. Wouldn't have thought he'll get another contract.

Was a good goalkicker when we picked him up, just doesn't seem to have translated it to the higher level. He's got a strong body for his size and works hard but think the lack of leg speed means he's not able to create the opportunities at AFL level that he was able to at lower ones.

Given we already have Guelfi and Gresham down forward who aren't 'quick' it's all a bit samey. Would be a different story if we had a genuine crumbing small down there to change the mix up.

Was a good goalkicker when we picked him up, just doesn't seem to have translated it to the higher level. He's got a strong body for his size and works hard but think the lack of leg speed means he's not able to create the opportunities at AFL level that he was able to at lower ones.

Given we already have Guelfi and Gresham down forward who aren't 'quick' it's all a bit samey. Would be a different story if we had a genuine crumbing small down there to change the mix up.

He’s a tough one. He kicked 23.11 and averaged over 2 tackles as a 20 year old.

I’d like to see how he goes alongside Gresh and Guelfi up forward, with Stringer, Langford and one of Wright or Caddy. No resting ruck.

Not that you suggested it, but I’d rather see a few others cut before him.

The issue is still that he's not as good as Gresham whilst being a very similar type.

And while Gresham does do some nice things, I'm not even sure Gresham is as good as we'd like him to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back