Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

The afl says the formula is to do with the financial size and duration of the deal..

Purple pretends the formula is a mystery knowing we were getting a first based on

Motlop 4 years at 500k end of first
Rockcliff 4 years at 650k end of first
Lycett 5 years 600k end of first
Ellis 5 years 600k end of second

spot the difference..

this was done purely because everyone cried about us winning a flag and being heavily compensated losing a player, noone cared when it happened to West Coast

Barrett said we shouldn't get a first rounder for Ellis because we haven't been able to commit to a first team role for him in 2020.

Let's ignore the fact that Ellis played 23 of a possible 25 games this year and is probably the best wingman/half back we have at the club.

Why should we get penalised for losing a player who was entrenched in our best 22 THIS season, who is a massive loss depth wise if he was knocked out of the team in 2020.

Why should we get penalised for having terrific depth? Why should we help improve a rival AFL club for next to nothing? The bloke has no idea.

The fact that Ellis-Yolmen, gets Adelaide a pick 8 picks later, despite being older and having a significantly worse deal money wise, played nearly 150 less games, played only 2 more games in the last 2 years than Ellis played in 2019 alone. The system absolutely stinks, but Barrett won't kick up a stink about that.

He is a notorious Richmond hater. Doesn't matter how hypocritical his views are when his opinions could apply to other clubs, as long as Richmond continue to improve, be a powergouse and dominate the competition, he is going to be saltier than the Dead Sea.

I can't help but feel that our success played a part in the compensation pick we received. Frawley to Hawthorn got Melbourne pick 3 and it was believed that he received ~$550,000 per year over 4 years. Brandon Ellis is said to be going for $600,000 over 5 years.

I want to see the AFL externalise their processes in determining what compensation a club gets when losing a player to free agency because what I mentioned earlier does not make sense. Ellis was 26 when he accepted the offer, Frawley was 26 years old when he accepted his offer as well.

So I really don't understand what makes the lesser and shorter of the aforementioned offers a first round draft pick and the larger and longer offer a second round draft pick. What are they basing the value of the compensation on?

cannot understand how after two premierships in three years and one won using Free Agency to take one of the best young forwards in the game FOR NOTHING that your supporters are carrying on about this. Seriously get the fu** over yourselves.
The problem is that success isn't a metric for free agency compensation. The club doesn't want to be undercut just because they have won 2 Premierships in 3 years because that may even be punishing Richmond for their success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that success isn't a metric for free agency compensation. The club doesn't want to be undercut just because they have won 2 Premierships in 3 years because that may even be punishing Richmond for their success.
I get where you are coming from but you can’t pick and choose when it does and doesn’t work for your club...GCoast getting picks 1&2 is no where near fair...Franklin pick 19 compensation was no where near fair....Frawley pick 2 to melb wasn’t fair...Nothing about the AFL is fair...so why would your team expect the outcome of the ellis compensation to be any different...as for those abusive tiger fans...try to put together some sort of argument instead of just mindless Neanderthal abuse...it makes u look very silly

I get where you are coming from but you can’t pick and choose when it does and doesn’t work for your club...GCoast getting picks 1&2 is no where near fair...Franklin pick 19 compensation was no where near fair....Frawley pick 2 to melb wasn’t fair...Nothing about the AFL is fair...so why would your team expect the outcome of the ellis compensation to be any different...as for those abusive tiger fans...try to put together some sort of argument instead of just mindless Neanderthal abuse...it makes u look very silly
You came in here with a contribution of "get the **** over yourselves" and were expecting a welcoming party?
Seriously, get the **** over yourself.
;)

The thing that gets me worked up tho has the rules changed or I'm I missing something rules on the run.If they changed fair enough.Don't need to mention players for less money or same and there compensation.Pathetic worse then a chook raffle and a circus afl.Why should we be screwed cause of our success.Make no mistake this was started from a media beat up.

Only critism I have of Benny and Peggy is that we a to much yes men to the afl our club we don't challenge things like this. That response from the afl Benny put up shouldn't be the end of it.

Last edited:
You came in here with a contribution of "get the fu** over yourselves" and were expecting a welcoming party?
Seriously, get the fu** over yourself.
;)
Ha! Never wanted a welcome party but was glad one person responded with something...but still stand by my opinion....your lucky to have got very good players from GCoast through a very subjective unfair system....if it was me, I’d still be drinking beers from my GF win

Pick 19 for buddy was the best possible pick under the system, pick 2 for frawley was more than fair, its not about fair though it's about following the system.

Motlop less money round 1
Lycett same money round 1

Where you finish is not part of the process when deciding compo.

Lastly when you come onto another teams board and just spout abuse it makes you look silly also

Eagles were premiers and it didn't impact the formula.
It's:
Pick 39 because of Barrett

Simple as that. Media run campaign
It's so stupid. The guy whinges about a potential first-round compensation for Ellis in his Sliding Doors article and the AFL seem to wilt. The fault isn't with media commentators like Barrett. He can have his opinion. It's the AFL that's pissing me off and the ones who were in charge of this decision. This is what Barrett said:

“There is no way Richmond should be given a first-round pick for losing Brandon Ellis, and this my point, this is the problem with this system,” Barrett told Telstra AFL Trade Radio.

“There will be outrage in the AFL world if the Richmond Football Club – the two out of three years premiership-winning Richmond Football Club – is to get a first-round compensation draft pick for the loss of a player who they could not commit to a regular senior game for next season.

“That will become the biggest rort in the system if Brandon Ellis is to present Richmond Football Club with an end of first-round draft pick as part of this compensation.”

No Barrett, that is just YOUR speculation. Brandon Ellis has played 23/25 games this year and has played 25/25 games in 2017. He played 18/24 games in 2018 (he was down on form). All up, he has missed 8 games during the time we were the "two out of three years premiership-winning Richmond Football Club". Cotchin, Nankervis and Riewoldt have missed more. Hence, you cannot say with strong confidence that he was "a player who they [Richmond] could not commit to a regular senior game for next season". He's only missed 2 games in both of our Premiership years.

Barrett is just using his opinion of Ellis as a guide to what Richmond's compensation pick should be. Ellis himself was a first-round pick and if Gold Coast are paying him big dollars over 5 years, then why aren't we getting the compensation that teams like Geelong, Melbourne and West Coast got for players that were of the same calibre/had similar contracts at their new clubs?

Pick 19 for buddy was the best possible pick under the system, pick 2 for frawley was more than fair, its not about fair though it's about following the system.

Motlop less money round 1
Lycett same money round 1

Where you finish is not part of the process when deciding compo.

Lastly when you come onto another teams board and just spout abuse it makes you look silly also
Okay we will have to agree to disagree.
But lots of other boards think it is very amusing you guys a melting over this. Get that it’s hard to look past your own teams needs...Compension is a joke and should be gone ASAP...but then how would the AFL make sure the comp is fair..??

Firstly, we didn't expect that the Ellis compensation would be different, just the same as other clubs got with Motlop, Lycett etc.

Secondly, the whole FA concept has been up the shit from the start. Why can teams pick up a FA for nothing? Lycett, Motlop, Rockliff, Waite, Higgins there's lots more and yes, Lynch. Also, why should clubs be compensated? Shouldn't the team acquiring the FA have to pay them with picks? Same as getting a player who is contracted!!

Where is the difficulty here?

It's not like contracts mean anything anymore anyways.

So there's your ****ing argument...I'd be very interested to hear your, well thought out, and non Neanderthal response!!!

Ha! Never wanted a welcome party but was glad one person responded with something...but still stand by my opinion....your lucky to have got very good players from GCoast through a very subjective unfair system....if it was me, I’d still be drinking beers from my GF win
I'm not bothered about the compo as you can see from my posts on the D&T board about it.
But I'll still have a laugh about the AFL's inconsistency in applying their rules.

My response to you was based on how you came in to this thread.

If we finished outside the 8 we'd probably be melting much harder :sweatsmile:, but then again if we came 10th we would have got pick 30 and that's around his worth so maybe not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back