Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

The GFL gave Geelong a first round pick last year for Motlop, even though they haven't been out of the 8 in years.

This is a disgrace we were entitled to a first rounder or at worst an early second, AFL making it up as they go along.

Best way to punish the arseholes win the 2020 flag the collective tears will end the drought up North

No you thinking you were getting a first rounder for Ellis after you have won two grand finals and also played in a prelim is literally the meaning of delusional.

Once again where you finish has no bearing on compo under current rules.

Age, length of contract and avg wage are the factors and under those criteria ellis should have been round 1.

If you want to talk about changing the rules so top teams don't get compo then by all means do so but that is an entirely different discussion and still wouldn't come into play this year.

How is pick 39 screwing us over? How is the AFL out to get us because of it?
because he was in our top ten paid players has switched for even higher pay this places him as a late first round at worse early second, thats why the media has been crying all week, they got there way it seems

I get where you are coming from but you can’t pick and choose when it does and doesn’t work for your club...GCoast getting picks 1&2 is no where near fair...Franklin pick 19 compensation was no where near fair....Frawley pick 2 to melb wasn’t fair...Nothing about the AFL is fair...so why would your team expect the outcome of the ellis compensation to be any different...as for those abusive tiger fans...try to put together some sort of argument instead of just mindless Neanderthal abuse...it makes u look very silly
Okay

How do West Coast get pick 23 for lysett in a premiership year and Richmond the very next year get 39 for Ellis in a premiership year considering both got 5 year deals at $600,000 a season

No you thinking you were getting a first rounder for Ellis after you have won two grand finals and also played in a prelim is literally the meaning of delusional.
You obviously have no idea.

Everyone thought we would be entitled to a first round pick, he was a pick 15 with two flags, Geelong received a first rounder for Motlop for christs sake.

I get where you are coming from but you can’t pick and choose when it does and doesn’t work for your club...GCoast getting picks 1&2 is no where near fair...Franklin pick 19 compensation was no where near fair....Frawley pick 2 to melb wasn’t fair...Nothing about the AFL is fair...so why would your team expect the outcome of the ellis compensation to be any different...as for those abusive tiger fans...try to put together some sort of argument instead of just mindless Neanderthal abuse...it makes u look very silly
Pick and choose? There was a clear precedence set by the AFL with preceding compensation picks. West Coast with Lycett's departure, Melbourne with Frawley's departure and Geelong with Motlop's departure. The deals for these players with their new clubs were all similar and none of these players were stars for their clubs when departing, just like Ellis. Every single one of these clubs got compensation in the first round. Our point is, what is the reason for Richmond getting a second round compensation then? Our Premierships? West Coast won the Premiership when Lycett departed yet he still got West Coast a first-round pick.

Also, I'm going to give you a bit of a reality check here. If you wanted respectful responses from Richmond fans then maybe don't tell us to "get the fu** over ourselves" next time.

because he was in our top ten paid players has switched for even higher pay this places him as a late first round at worse early second, thats why the media has been crying all week, they got there way it seems

It’s just a draft pick

I don’t know why people are cracking it? How could you not see this coming??
And furthermore I’m loving it. It’s 7 ****ing days guys since we won ANOTHER FLAG! This bullshit stuff can’t upset me and it gives me great pleasure that non Richmond people have to grasp onto this as some sort of victory, or a loss for us.
It’s a minuscule inconvenience and likely makes no difference at all to our recruiting department.
Who gives a **** really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

trying to cut through all the grey using this information but would need all the 25yo+ base salaries to get the final score.
maybe the afl could just put this to bed by surfacing the formula for the 3 comparative players, but as the Age article suggests they like to keep it secret so the clubs can't 'manipulate' the system, which is unnecessary imo.

THE ONLY way that pick 39 makes sense is if the AFL have factored in the average wage for 26 year olds in the league, with the increase to the salary cap from 2018 and the AFL have adjusted their compo guidelines for this, with Ellis' contract falling just short of that due to the inflation of salaries.

Notice the last part .... most critical .... points required for the awarding of a 1st Rd pick in 2019

Which means they have changed the compo formula for 2019. In which case, the AFL really should have released a statement regarding such a change and outlined what exactly had changed.

Which means they have changed the compo formula for 2019. In which case, the AFL really should have released a statement regarding such a change and outlined what exactly had changed.
Exactly .... they changed it from last year
Will it. Change again for 2020 ?
Or is it dependent on the club involved
AFL is pathetic ..... not even upset ... just ridiculously funny

The bit that ****s up the compo is the rule stating your compo pick can only come after your actual pick in that round.
So if Hawthorn won the spoon in 2013, Buddy would've been worth pick 2 compo. Instead they won the flag and it was pick 19, which seems ridiculous.

Similar thing has happened here, although less pronounced because actual contract aside, Brando isn't worth too much more.

I'm sure pick 30 would've been about the right fit. But due to that stupid part of the rules, pick 30 was right in the middle of what they could actually give us.

trying to cut through all the grey using this information but would need all the 25yo+ base salaries to get the final score.
maybe the afl could just put this to bed by surfacing the formula for the 3 comparative players, but as the Age article suggests they like to keep it secret so the clubs can't 'manipulate' the system, which is unnecessary imo.

Are the AFL keeping it a secret so that clubs can't manipulate the system, or are they keeping it a secret so that they can manipulate the system? :think:

I choose number two because manipulating the system by clubs is perfectly OK as long as they don't break rules. There is no reason the afl can't be transparent by showing a total figure of base salaries by age. Obviously they cant show individuals but totals shouldn't be an issue.
Either way I think it's time to impeach Gil :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back