Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Where was all the outrage when Geelong got a first round pick for Motlop, Ellis is a vastly better player than Motlop but I dont recall Barrett whining about it then?

The flog is hoping if he makes enough noise the AFL will use their magic formula to turn our deserved end of first round pick into a second rounder.

Not that it will stop us as we can pick players from the trash and make them smell like roses but we should sue the AFL if they try to rort us from what is rightfully ours.

This looks more like the AFL used snr contacts in the media to run a 'complaint' article so they got away with the ruling they were always going to make.

I can't believe how we are whining about Ellis's pick 39. We got pick 26 for Vickery! We effectively swapped Delidio, who we all knew was gone injury wise for Caddy. We got Nankervis for steak knives, gave away nothing for Lynch... and we complain about a few spots down the draft order for Ellis who I and many others have no doubt would not be getting regular games next year for us, and personally I think will struggle at GC down the track. Who cares.

Last edited:
Because sometimes the process is more important than the outcome.

Because the feeling of being ripped off and violated is still a s**t feeling despite a good outcome the other week.

I don't think anyone is overly annoyed, of course it's a slight annoyance and of course most of us saw it coming. But what angers some of us, particularly me, is the corruption and shadey behaviours within the sport we love.
But it’s just a known fact no different to compensation picks etc. I don’t even think they are shady about the fact they try to even tbings up, and tbh if another team were in our shoes and didn’t match the offer I’d expect the same outcome. I think it’s about right and just comes with the territory of being successful.

AFL are cheats ...what a sham compensation...

the sooner dickwad CEO Gill gets the boot and Benny assumes his rightful role the better
That's all well and good but I'd rather keep Benny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help but feel that our success played a part in the compensation pick we received. Frawley to Hawthorn got Melbourne pick 3 and it was believed that he received ~$550,000 per year over 4 years. Brandon Ellis is said to be going for $600,000 over 5 years.

I want to see the AFL externalise their processes in determining what compensation a club gets when losing a player to free agency because what I mentioned earlier does not make sense. Ellis was 26 when he accepted the offer, Frawley was 26 years old when he accepted his offer as well.

So I really don't understand what makes the lesser and shorter of the aforementioned offers a first round draft pick and the larger and longer offer a second round draft pick. What are they basing the value of the compensation on?
Why does it have to be way overs at pick 39 for a 26yo twice Premiership player that plays most weeks?!?! seeing as the AFL said Ellis deal was just overs for a Band1 pick...ok you have the formulae you could have tweaked it to give the RFC a pick in the late 20's...just a little more fairer than 39 considering all the other picks/deals the AFL allowed!

Why does it have to be way overs at pick 39 for a 26yo twice Premiership player that plays most weeks?!?! seeing as the AFL said Ellis deal was just overs for a Band1 pick...ok you have the formulae you could have tweaked it to give the RFC a pick in the late 20's...just a little more fairer than 39 considering all the other picks/deals the AFL allowed!

afl equalization

2/3 flags too many for gill

Last edited:
Maybe part of the secret formula takes into account the players on field position? Lycett being a ruck and Frawley being a KPD are more difficult positions to replace than a run-of-the-mill winger? I don't know, it's hard to play devil's advocate here.
not sure.gif

I can't believe how we are whining about Ellis's pick 39. We got pick 26 for Vickery! We effectively swapped Delidio, who we all knew was gone injury wise for Caddy. We got Nankervis for steak knives, gave away nothing for Lynch... and we complain about a few spots down the draft order for Ellis who I and many others have no doubt would not be getting regular games next year for us, and personally I think will struggle at GC down the track. Who cares.

So you think the difference between 39 and 20 are just 'a few spots'. Wow! I mean really. Wow! And the fact one of our chief rivals in the premiership window got an end of first rounder last year and we didn't for what appears to be exactly the same deal. Gotta say sure glad that you aren't in charge during trade week.

Last edited:
Maybe part of the secret formula takes into account the players on field position? Lycett being a ruck and Frawley being a KPD are more difficult positions to replace than a run-of-the-mill winger? I don't know, it's hard to play devil's advocate here.
I think it's more to do with inflation and ladder position. Melbourne and Hawthorn got first round picks for Frawley and Buddy, but Frawley was 3 and Buddy 19. We "just missed" an end of first round selection, and our position then pushed the Ellis compo right back. Pick 20 was possibly overs and pick 39 unders for Ellis but that's how the draft works (Gellong definitely got overs for Motlop), but at the end of the day I'd rather be Premiers. :richmond:

And picking AFL decisions on compensation and the match review is about as easy as picking the winning powerball numbers.

Disgusting by the AFL.

Brando should threaten to call this off, he would want us to be treated at least fairly in the deal.

Legally challenge Brando! Your right to Free agency can't be used as a tool for punishment of your former club!

Okay. How do West Coast get pick 23 for lysett in a premiership year and Richmond the very next year get 39 for Ellis in a premiership year considering both got 5 year deals at $600,000 a season

Can’t figure that out. But the Motlop pick was to ensure GC got a favourable enough return to allow the Ablett trade . That’s a certainty.

The problem in inconsistency, and the AFL keep shooting themselves in the feet...

But, we need to count our blessings with Stack and Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back