5 minute warning

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
OTHER TEAMS???? As if!!
Is it just me or does anyone else hate the damn 5 minute warning channel 10 persist with; it ****s me to tears.

Surely there is a petition we can set up and sign to stop that carp :thumbsdown:

and their shot at goal countdown clock.

that was only brought in for lloydy and fev. neither are playing in the finals and the umps never really bothered with it anyway.

Strongly agree. I almost kick the TV in when it comes up and it's a close game...

Absolutely hate it! Can someone please explain what benefit it provides? When the game is close, knowing just how long is left is the most important thing of all. Its funny how the clubs have to have someone in the match committee put a stopwatch on the last 5 minutes so coaches can know how long is left. Amateur hour....

i frikkin' love it. it's more like being at the ground. it's more like what the players feel. with a countdown clock i hate knowing that there isn't enough time for the next play to complete.

there's something good said about it.

its horrible!

but the shot clock is worse! IT IS NEVER ACCURATE!! WHENEVER THE SHOTCLOCK GOES DOWN ITS NOT PLAY-ON ANYWAY!!!!!

its not even part of the game, so it has no use being there. Everyone knows its the umpires decision to call it, so it can never be measured by computers and clocks.

Captain Wacky said:
Agree. I've never heard anyone say a good thing about it.

5 Minute Warning is AWESOME!!!
Its like you are at an actual game in terms of not knowing how long there is left.
It is a bit annoying when the game is one sided but when it is close it is brilliant. It adds excitment. Why kill the game by knowing how long is left?
Coun down clock for goals is crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how the time counts up however i hate the noise it makes when it goes off. It's nothing on channel tens shocking commentary though, or their constant close ups of the ball carrying player so that we have the the equilavent of Justin koschitzkes periphial vision, or their worst thing of all, the incredibly gay intros they have with the deep deep voice.

The shot clock is foolish, because it implies that play on is blown when the 30 seconds is up wihci is rarely the case. Also it is questionable when it starts, because umpires seem to allow the player to take the mark and regain footing and whatnot before counting, and also no umpire is gona call play on when they are half way through their run up about to kick

timthefish said:
i hate knowing that there isn't enough time for the next play to complete.

Well even with the count-up clock its not that hard to guess when the siren will go. :rolleyes:

This is the 21st Century. TV viewers should have the comfort of knowing the time remaining. The only people that like this are the die-hard fans on this site who think that their side is so great they can snatch victory with only seconds to go. :rolleyes:

The average footy viewer hates it.

When Eagles played sydney i really wished i had known how much time there was left so i could of switched off the tv

I heard the AFL was going to make a decision as to whether have all clocks (stadium and TV) either counting up or counting down.

Nonetheless, IMO, I prefer the count-down clock. It makes the game look more professional.

I prefer countdown as it is far less frustrating.

Though it doesn't really bother me, if if the game is tight and on Ch 10 I'll make sure I have a stopwatch on me in the final quarter, and I time it myself.

I can't understand why they display a count down clock on the screen but all the references made by commentators are to a count up clock.

eg. "Collingwood hasn't kicked a goal since the 23rd minute of the first quarter"

What does that mean when a clock counts down from 20 minutes?

I'd rather all channels just have a count up clock like when your at the game live. That way you don't know when any quarter is going to end.

Remove this Banner Ad

5 minute warning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back