Remove this Banner Ad

Shwab said:
It actually works like this -

Melbourne
Lose - Pick 12
Gain - Moloney (from Geelong)

Richmond
Lose - Ottens and Zantuck
Gain - Pick 9 (From Carlton) Pick 16 (from Geelong)

Geelong
Lose - Moloney and Pick 16
Gain - Ottens

Kangaroos
Lose - Harding
Gain - Zantuck

Carlton
Lose - Pick 9
Gain - Harding and Pick 12 (From Melbourne)
definately sounds feasable, although i think the Kangas would want something more from Carlton. Probably add in pick 25 from Carlton to Roos and i reckon it would be fair all round.

Harding is superior to Zantuck. And i reckon any club would risk going from pick 9 to 12, for a chance to get Leigh Harding.

And has also been said, good negotiating from Richmond will see them land Geelongs pick 32 as well .

coasting said:
Melbourne
Lose - Pick 12

Over the odds. Why would they do this? Moloney is a decent player but not worth a first round pick. This draft period is the craziest I can remember.

Richmond

Poor deal for Richmond. Giving up too much for little return.

Geelong
Gain - Ottens

Daylight robbery.

Kangaroos
Lose - Harding
Gain - Zantuck

So-so trade. Must feel they have defensive problems which they think Zantuck can fix.

Carlton
Lose - Pick 9

Must think they can get the same player at 12 that they can at 9. Decent trade.
Spot on assessment. I think Geelongs second rounder would be going to Richmond to balance things up a bit. A later pick (from somewhere) might be needed to balance things up for Melbourne, though they have already done well this trade period so may be feeling generous.

Ottens poised to join Cats as Hawthorn brace for key loss
Greg Denham
October 08, 2004

A COMPLICATED five-club trade deal last night should today result in disgruntled Richmond ruckman Brad Ottens being released to Geelong.

And the exodus of high-profile players from Hawthorn could continue today with defender-midfielder Joel Smith contemplating a lucrative offer to join Collingwood.

The Ottens deal could send Richmond's Ty Zantuck to the Kangaroos, Geelong's Brent Moloney to Melbourne and Kangaroos forward Leigh Harding to Carlton and fulfil the Tigers' requirement as they gain overall selections nine (from the Blues) and 16 from the Cats. Carlton will move back three places in the draft and have accepted selection 12 from Melbourne, which originally came from West Coast to secure Adelaide's Tyson Stenglein. The deal includes a number of other draft selections swaps.

The 27-year-old Smith could follow Nathan Thompson out the door at Glenferrie Oval, three days after his vice-captain quit to join the Kangaroos.

Smith is on holiday in Bali and was last night expected to sleep on his offer from Collingwood and make a decision today whether to join his third club.

Hawthorn was last night resigned to losing Smith only days after chief executive Jason Dunstall believed the Hawks were close to agreeing to terms of a new contract for the two-time All-Australian.

Smith's manager Ricky Nixon yesterday said he believed a trade could be arranged between the two clubs today. "The ball's in Joel's court," Nixon said. "Collingwood just came out of the blue and offered him a lucrative three-year deal."

Collingwood may give up its first pick, No.7 overall, and swap it with pick No.10 which Hawthorn received from the Kangaroos for Thompson, starting a rebuilding phase which will enable the Hawks to enter the draft with the prime selections two, five and possibly seven. Fremantle yesterday clinched a deal allowing Josh Carr to leave Port Adelaide and join the Dockers on a three-year contract.

After much debate during the week, Port Adelaide accepted Fremantle's first three draft selections -- picks 11, 27 and 43 -- to release Carr, who will join his brother Matthew.

The Port Adelaide premiership vice-captain will be contracted for the next four years.

The Dockers remain confident a deal could be finalised today to secure Heath Black from St Kilda. Black started his career as a Docker but moved to St Kilda at the end of 2001. Whatever compensation Fremantle receive from Richmond for losing Troy Simmonds, probably a late first-round pick or an early second-round selection, will be offered to the Saints for Black.

And after unsuccessfully attempting to satisfy Richmond's requirements for Ottens, the Swans reverted to plan B yesterday and recruited back-up Melbourne ruckman Darren Jolly. Sydney provided the Demons with its first pick in the draft, No.15.

Aaron Shattock, a member of Brisbane's 2002 premiership team, is expected to return home to Adelaide to join Port Adelaide today after a meeting with coach Mark Williams.

Lance Whitnall remains contracted to Carlton for 2005 but negotiations with St Kilda for a trade will enter the final day.

Nixon, who is Whitnall's manager, last night expressed doubts as to whether a deal will be done.

"I doubt whether it's going to happen," he said. "Carlton appear unrealistic in what they want."

The Blues could today be tempted by St Kilda's first-round selection, No.17.

Kangaroos midfielder Jess Sinclair is on the verge of agreeing to terms for a new two-year contract to remain at Arden Street.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11007224%5E2722,00.html

FFS, what is it with Harding??? It seems opposition supporters rate him a lot higher than we do. I have never seen anything in him apart from his pace, as he is an inaccurate kick for goal, and has no defensive side. I'm stoked we're getting Zantuck for Harding - Harding only played 11 games for us this year. We have enough players at our club to play the role of a small forward even if it is a rotating midfielder.

I'm not too familiar with if the thing I heard was true or not, but if it is, would the Kangaroos then on trade their second round pick to Hawthorn for Lekkas? :confused:

vanders said:
I'm not too familiar with if the thing I heard was true or not, but if it is, would the Kangaroos then on trade their second round pick to Hawthorn for Lekkas? :confused:

Already used our second pick in getting Thompson, 3rd pick is gone for J.Smith under the father/son.

I heard something about the Roos wanting to trade Harding to someone for a second round draft pick which they would then use to get Lekkas.... second round pick, not second pick ;)

kangaroo19 said:
FFS, what is it with Harding??? It seems opposition supporters rate him a lot higher than we do. I have never seen anything in him apart from his pace, as he is an inaccurate kick for goal, and has no defensive side. I'm stoked we're getting Zantuck for Harding.

They both have their flaws but when Zantuck is arrested at a nightclub for throwing one of his Kangaroo teamates through a window maybe you'll understand.

The full, updated deal has been reported on Realfooty:

■ Geelong poised to pick up Brad Ottens (Richmond)
■ Brent Moloney (Geelong) to Melbourne for
pick 12
■ Richmond to get picks 9 and 16
■ Ty Zantuck (Richmond) to Kangaroos
■ Leigh Harding (Kangaroos) to Carlton
■ Carlton’s picks 9 and 25 traded for picks
12 (Melbourne), 20 (Richmond) and 36 (Richmond).

Geelong:

Gain: Ottens
Lose: Moloney, Pick 16.

Melbourne:

Gain: Moloney
Lose: Pick 12.

Carlton:

Gain: Leigh Harding, Pick 12, Pick 20, Pick 36.
Lose: Pick 9, Pick 25.

Kangaroos:

Gain: Ty Zantuck
Lose: Leigh Harding.

Richmond:

Gain: Pick 9, Pick 16, Pick 25 (?)
Lose: Ottens, Zantuck, Pick 20, Pick 36.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/07/1097089497764.html

This therefore shows that this deal is wrong

Carlton give 9 and 25 and get Harding, 12, 20 and 36?

Just aint going to happen this way.

Try taking away pick 20 straight away, and even pick 36.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tigerT said:
why would we throw zantuck into it for seemingly nothing when we can get something for him from the bombers?

once again you are blinded by rage

tool

Miller is desperate for a top 10 because he believes that in order to get one of teh good ruckman in the draft (Wood, Meeson or Deluca), you will need a top 10 pick

It does make sense. The difference between pick 9 and pick 12 could be snaring one of the ruckman above vs snaring another 70kg All Australian jockey

londontiger said:
This therefore shows that this deal is wrong

Carlton give 9 and 25 and get Harding, 12, 20 and 36?

Just aint going to happen this way.

Try taking away pick 20 straight away, and even pick 36.
the way i see it london you have to give up something to gain something.
the blues are giving up a top 10 pick and move 3 spots to 12 to satisfy us.
we in turn in good faith we swap pick 20 to the blues for pick 25.
in good faith the cats will give us #32 in exchange for #36.
where we will come ahead of it all is that now #20 is out of the black/simmonds trade we can pick him up for nothing in the psd without the fear of keeping it safe in regards to ottens.

cheers!

Shwab said:

Melbourne
Lose - Pick 12

Richmond

Geelong
Gain - Ottens

Kangaroos
Lose - Harding
Gain - Zantuck

Carlton
Lose - Pick 9

Wow... from where I stand, its a win win win loose WIN situation.

One of the northboys (not sure which spelling, there is a Northbhoy and a Northboi) has been maintaining that Laidley will go for Zantuck since midway through the year. Only the Kangaroos seem to miss in that trade, but if they are keen on Zantuck, who knows...
Obviously Carlton would be stoked with that trade.

Shwab said:
Richmond

Kangaroos
Lose - Harding
Gain - Zantuck

Carlton
Lose - Pick 9

Richmond lose Zantuck for 0
There need to be another pick to Richmond to make them happy. The pick or 25 would go to Richmond

then it all seems win win win win win win and Collingwood are nowhere involved. Thas what we like

Rookie said:
Only the Kangaroos seem to miss in that trade, but if they are keen on Zantuck, who knows...
QUOTE]

Can't quite see that. Would be pretty pleased if this part of it came off.

We give up a guy who has been "gunna" for three years - fantastic a few times a year, frustrating a few more times, and then back to the VFL. Hasn't been able to cement a spot with us - lightning quick and a good mark on his day, but... - and we have other options for his position that are arguably equally worth persisting with.

and we'd get a tough defender to help a part of the ground where we need it - he has some issues but he's also one of our family so I'm sure we'd have the best chance of sorting him out. ;)

Richmond throwing 20 and 36 in for 25 isn't that big a deal.

20 or 25 would probably be ontraded for Simmonds anyway. Freo wont like it, but it's better than nothing for them.

36..well, at that stage, it's a lottery anyway, so not a huge loss.

worthogs said:
Richmond lose Zantuck for 0
There need to be another pick to Richmond to make them happy. The pick or 25 would go to Richmond

then it all seems win win win win win win and Collingwood are nowhere involved. Thas what we like

I've upgraded this Worthogs into my "top 10 most respected opposition supporters list"

JP2 said:
Richmond:

Gain: Pick 9, Pick 16, Pick 25 (?)
Lose: Ottens, Zantuck, Pick 20, Pick 36.

This definitely needs some adjustment from our point of view. Remove pick 20 from the deal and I would probably be happy now.

Tigerland said:
They both have their flaws but when Zantuck is arrested at a nightclub for throwing one of his Kangaroo teamates through a window maybe you'll understand.

If that teammate happens to be Shane Harvey, there will be plenty of Roos fans lining up to give Zantuck a pat on the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

5 way Deal Reported on SEN re Ottens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back