Past #6: Jason Horne-Francis [Part II] - NM trade JHF & #1 for Sheezel, Wardlaw, CHarvey & PA 2023 1st - you were never one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the leverage we have, I think the message needs to be that we need an elite piece back. We're losing a potential match-winner, so the return needs to start with either a top-five pick or Butters. If Port Adelaide aren't prepared to offer that, then they can come back next year with their offer of two first-round picks.

I rarely listen to SEN these days, thought I'd catch the latest on Judas this morning.

Gary Lyon spoke about how the salary for media "personalities" in the USA was so good. Related back to a story 10-15 years ago when multiple outlets were clamoring for the best talent to have sport 24/7 on radio and TV. People like Stephan A Smith are paid ridiculous amounts to speak about the most absurd, controversial topics purely for ratings. Smith is paid $12 million USD a year as of 2019. To boost ratings anyway possible.

Where does Hutchy spend time? In the states. Gary Lyon admitted on air the Cornes is purely there to spark controversy for ratings, he is "the prototype".

I used to get worked up about Cornes, now I don't listen. As Lisa Simpson once sang, "Just Don't look"

lisa-simpson-just-dont-look.gif
simpsons-just-dont-look.gif
Absolutely spot on.

I’ve been saying it for years; Jabba is a charlatan of the highest order, his whole business model is built on controversy and clickbait $$’s. He’s the Womans Day of the airwaves..

He‘s not accountable to anyone or anything so he can get his weasel minions to make crap up about anyone to generate those clicks, not taking into account the personal damage it can do to his victims - it’s all about the Learjet’s and Lamborghini’s.

He’s lower than a shit stain on a Petrol Station toilet bowl..

If Jason doesn’t go, they’re also just as likely to lose half a dozen games in the first halve of the season, dump the coach, remove the pres and end up where we are this year. For the fans Kenny’s at the levels we were with Brad, in his last few years.
Would be very hard sell from then on.

I expect most of this to happen if he goes or not.

There is the very real prospect Jason will have 4 coaches in two years.

Absolutely spot on.

I’ve been saying it for years; Jabba is a charlatan of the highest order, his whole business model is built on controversy and clickbait $$’s. He’s the Womans Day of the airwaves..

He‘s not accountable to anyone or anything so he can get his weasel minions to make crap up about anyone to generate those clicks, not taking into account the personal damage it can do to his victims - it’s all about the Learjet’s and Lamborghini’s.

He’s lower than a s**t stain on a Petrol Station toilet bowl..
Pretty much. I can honestly say that since the changes at SEN several years back I've gone from a pretty regular listener to around 30mins in the last 2-3 years.

If Jason doesn’t go, they’re also just as likely to lose half a dozen games in the first halve of the season, dump the coach, remove the pres and end up where we are this year. For the fans Kenny’s at the levels we were with Brad, in his last few years.
Would be very hard sell from then on.

And if they offer unders, we keep him and he can play at North next year, we’ll still get minimum 2X first round picks.

Also don’t want to build a culture at our club that contracts are easily broken like they have at other clubs.

You sign, you’re committed and the club is committed to you.

Pretty much. I can honestly say that since the changes at SEN several years back I've gone from a pretty regular listener to around 30mins in the last 2-3 years.
I've gone from a 2-4 hours a day to zero.

I've gone from a 2-4 hours a day to zero.
Yep. It was never high art or anything but it is just trash now. To be clear - I mean 30mins over the 2-3 years, not 30mins a day ;)

Tom Scully went to GWS and Melbourne were given 2 first round picks. The Demons received the top line of compensation, a first-round selection and a mid-first round pick.
All true, my comment was more around the idea being run in some quarters that this is our own fault for not taking the deals offered for the pick itself.
The offers were shit and nowhere near enough to convince us to trade it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port wanting to pry arguably our most talented young player out, whilst not disrupting their own young core, really is something else.

Their club has little understanding of fair.

Ben Jacobs is a perfect example of this.

Player wants out we offer market value, they say no, player leaves and nominates terms we pay market value through the draft.

Port posters do significant mental gymnastics to validate that clusterf***. That somehow pick 3 in the PSD is of equal value to pick 37 in the ND.

Tom Scully went to GWS and Melbourne were given 2 first round picks. The Demons received the top line of compensation, a first-round selection and a mid-first round pick.

Been thinking about the Scully trade a bit.

Remember when he first played in Melbourne and the Demoans supporters politely rocked up with signs and money bags?

JHF gonna wish our supporters were like that.

Would love pick 8, Port's future 1st and Butters for JHF. Would do that deal in a heartbeat
I get that this sucks for you guys. This has landed in our lap and its just dumb luck due to a series of events and circumstances, the club itself hasn't really done anything for this to happen. 2x first round picks is a starting point but I can guarantee Butters will not be part of the trade. The club would walk away before trading Butters PLUS 2 first rounders imo.

I get that this sucks for you guys. This has landed in our lap and its just dumb luck due to a series of events and circumstances, the club itself hasn't really done anything for this to happen. 2x first round picks is a starting point but I can guarantee Butters will not be part of the trade. The club would walk away before trading Butters PLUS 2 first rounders imo.
2x First Round Picks + Butters is obviously not happening.

2x First Round Picks (likely to be 9 + 14) also isn't happening.

The reality is, Port are trying to pry out arguably our most talented young prospect & think that mid tier first rounders can get it done. It's just unrealistic. This idea that you can get him without disrupting your current young group is just unreasonable.

It'll end up being the 2x First Round Picks + a lesser quality young player (Sinn, Bergman) or you'll have to turn those first round picks into earlier picks.

Last edited:
We just had Xerri, who wanted to leave for more opportunity, StKilda couldn’t offer what we wanted, we stated to Xerri see we rate you much higher then the saints.
Xerri now signed a new deal, played some good football.
This might be the last chance you get to swing at JHF, better make it count.

And if they offer unders, we keep him and he can play at North next year, we’ll still get minimum 2X first round picks.

Also don’t want to build a culture at our club that contracts are easily broken like they have at other clubs.

You sign, you’re committed and the club is committed to you.
Yep. We've got the number one pick again this year and we're likely to have high draft picks for a while yet.
My preference is to get good value for JHF and trade him now, but we have to be prepared to hold him to the contract if Port won't budge from unders. We can't have the likes of Richmond and Collingwood getting into kids' ears thinking they can prise them out early for not much.

That’s ok, I guess the club doesn’t really want him then.

2x First Round Picks + Butters is obviously not happening.

2x First Round Picks (likely to be 9 + 14) also isn't happening.

The reality is, Port are trying to pry out arguably our most talented young prospect & think that mid tier first rounders can get it done. It's just unrealistic. This idea that you can get him without disrupting your current young group is just unreasonable.

It'll end up being the 2x First Round Picks + a lesser quality young player (Sinn) or you'll have to turn those first round picks into earlier picks.
I think it will be exactly what you've said it will end up being. I hope for your members sake that the picks and player you get end up being star 200+ game players, and for our sake and what we give up that JHF lives up to expectation.

Port posters do significant mental gymnastics to validate that clusterf***. That somehow pick 3 in the PSD is of equal value to pick 37 in the ND.
I do enjoy the this is what you’re getting and that’s that attitude. Try walking out of a cafe with a cappuccino with $2.50 or bad luck as your only bargaining chip😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back