Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

I have 4 distinct prospective thoughts re Joey

1. I hope he gets on the park and has a 45 goal+ season next year, otherwise passing on two firsts will look pretty dumb in comparison to to the the compo pick we will get

2. Normally I would be worried about injury management, but the Hawkes history with saving injury riddled/doomed careers (Burgoyne, O'Meara and Scully) gives me some hope with our new fitness guy

3. I have no idea about Joe as person and his maturity/view on the current situation. Some guys will buckle down and carry on (O'Keefe, Gibbs and Kelly) and overs will sulk, if Joey is the latter it does not bode well.

4. I hope we have success next year, cause it is going to be hard to retain him if we don't, especially with Sydney (I think) on the rise in the next 2-3 years

it’s not really ? People request trades in sport all the time and don’t get moved.

Dodo made a point in his interview, that more players than people think ask for trades that don’t get done but public doesn’t hear about it.

3. I have no idea about Joe as person and his maturity/view on the current situation. Some guys will buckle down and carry on (O'Keefe, Gibbs and Kelly) and overs will sulk, if Joey is the latter it does not bode well.

I reckon it would have been a tough decision for him to decide to move. Maybe like 60-70% go 30-40% stay. He will be fine, he has his family in melbourne and all his mates.

Why are people spinning this into being a good thing?

We have a player that doesn't want to play for us on our list
it’s baffling.

woo hoo. we’ve kept the injured superstar at the club for another year. meanwhile we’ve learnt to play without him and are much more consistent when he’s not on the park.

yippee.

it’s baffling.

woo hoo. we’ve kept the injured superstar at the club for another year. meanwhile we’ve learnt to play without him and are much more consistent when he’s not on the park.

yippee.
Yeah all those awesome games we played without him were just super.

Why are people spinning this into being a good thing?

We have a player that doesn't want to play for us on our list

Dustin Martin in 2013

Screenshot_20191017-020608_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also, this isn't a case of a player wanting to be near family, friends, missus or hometown - this is a player dealing with current mood swings influenced by emotion. If you ask me, that's a whole lot easier to re-convince and have time heal than the former.

Yep.

Right here.

Glad I could help bud.

Except it fails to mention the word uncontracted and fails to mention Stevens entering the Pre-Season Draft - You can continue to celebrate ordinary posters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JD is in a position of strength if his body holds up - He could choose not to play in 2020 or could not play at 100% in 2020 but Sydney will still offer him a big contract under either scenario - Well if he decides to move in 2021 under no circumstance do you match the offer - Let him go with positive memories of EFC and keep the option for a future F/S.

Last edited:
And?

Geelong had a bloke on their list this year who didn't want to play for them. He ended up coming 5th in the Brownlow. Didn't affect his ability to play.

He still left them this year, but we've got 12 months to hopefully turn Joey around.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The difference was Kelly was happy playing for Geelong but his partner wanted to move - You are comparing apples with oranges.

The difference was Kelly was happy playing for Geelong but his partner wanted to move - You are comparing apples with oranges.

It's harder to convince someone like Kelly, who has a wife that needs support to take care of their 2 special needs children - than to convince a player who has all of his family and friends here, with no kids, to stay.

It's harder to convince someone like Kelly, who has a wife that needs support to take care of their 2 special needs children - than to convince a player who has all of his family and friends here, with no kids, to stay.

The relevance is that Kelly was happy to stay at geelong for another year and played accordingly - The jury is still out in how JD will perform in 2020.

JD is in a position of strength if his body holds up - He could choose not to play in 2020 or could not play at 100% in 2020 but still Sydney will still offer him a big contract under either scenario - Well if he decides to move in 2021 under no circumstance do you match the offer - Let him go with positive memories of EFC and keep the option for a future F/S.

He will play. As far as leaving goes it is not like he hates us. There is every chance he gets back on the park and keeps playing in the same way Francis came around.

The relevance is that Kelly was happy to stay at geelong for another year and played accordingly - The jury is still out in how JD will perform in 2020.
The only issue with JD in 2020 is his injury recovery. You are making too much out of it otherwise. He does not hate the club or the players and we will hide him away a bit so he is not the face of the club.

And?

Geelong had a bloke on their list this year who didn't want to play for them. He ended up coming 5th in the Brownlow. Didn't affect his ability to play.

He still left them this year, but we've got 12 months to hopefully turn Joey around.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
That was a matter of integrity though. You're positing that Joe has some. He has shown that that's part of his 'learning.'

I understand the whole importance of a contract, but why keep somebody who wants out? It'll just turn so ugly, nobody is bigger than the club.

Irrespective of what happens with JD, I hope the Club has actually done some soul-searching to work out why JD fell out of love in the first place and to rectify the issue. Or win a final. Whatever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back