Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Except it fails to mention the word uncontracted and fails to mention Stevens entering the Pre-Season Draft - You can continue to celebrate ordinary posters.
It mentions the word different Yaco. Nobody is celebrating anyone.

No he didn't mention the specifics of how it was different, but you know what he said? That it was different!

You clearly thought you could take a cheap shot, you were wrong, you're allowed be wrong. Next time just read better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy with the stance we took. He's our best player. It was always going to take well overs to get him out. You back yourself over the next 12 months and try to convince him to stay. Worst case, he still wants out and we either match a FA bid to force a trade, or we just accept what could likely be a 1st rd comp pick. But you have given yourself a year to try and get some more footy into Gown, etc. or to try and look into other options to replace him.

I understand the whole importance of a contract, but why keep somebody who wants out? It'll just turn so ugly, nobody is bigger than the club.

As someone else posted, Dusty wanted to leave at one time and a few other examples. Dodo said quite a few players want to leave clubs that we never hear about.

I felt crap about the place I worked at once and was looking to leave and then things turn around, happens a lot.

An extension may make him feel better.

I am glad the club held firm. We as a whole have invested a lot in him and deserve the chance to get him up and running, injury free, hopefully.

If he doesn't come up so be it. We have lost a couple of first rounders with no guarantees. If he had gone to the Swans and starred it would have scarred us for years.

Players treat footy as a workplace now so he will embrace us again no problem.

As someone else posted, Dusty wanted to leave at one time and a few other examples. Dodo said quite a few players want to leave clubs that we never hear about.

I felt crap about the place I worked at once and was looking to leave and then things turn around, happens a lot.

Absolutely this. I was in a bad position at work a few years ago under a micromanaging boss, she left and the new guy was 180 degree turn around, a quality person. Loved the place again.

I suspect Joey's mindset is all about getting on the park.

I'm happy he is staying, but not just because it's Joey and seeing him in another teams colours I wasn't ready for.

After Kelly last year, Joe and Papley this year I'm hoping that this is the starting point for the football public and industry to go down the path of being honest and open about contracts.

He may not want to be here but he is a professional and will try and do his best for the games he does play.
Maybe we can get to a point (and I think it would be healthy) for players to advise the public that hey I'm currently contracted but I am looking elsewhere. Remove the speculation around the whole issue, restore some balance to clubs holding players to contracts and everyone including players, clubs, media and public being more adult and mature about the whole situation.

Dusty never nominated a club though did he

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Irrespective of what happens with JD, I hope the Club has actually done some soul-searching to work out why JD fell out of love in the first place and to rectify the issue. Or win a final. Whatever.
That has already been answered. Frustrated at not being able to play and looking at Sydney as a city where he is Joe nobody. He still loves the players and the club.

That has already been answered. Frustrated at not being able to play and looking at Sydney as a city where he is Joe nobody. He still loves the players and the club.
Exactly. Seems to be this misplaced belief that he didn't want to be at Essendon.

He does, he just wants Essendon to be based in Sydney.

Relocation anyone?

And?

Geelong had a bloke on their list this year who didn't want to play for them. He ended up coming 5th in the Brownlow. Didn't affect his ability to play.

He still left them this year, but we've got 12 months to hopefully turn Joey around

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
It also gives us 12 months to sound out potential replacements from other clubs, put time into Gown, and/or draft and develop a KPF should he decide to leave.

C'est vrai? Well, injury can happen wherever you are, so that's immature. Sydney is not Atlantis and has media and some AFL-supporting public, so that's naive. Perhaps these are PR reasons.

For mine, not enough known about what he has and hasn't done and said inside the Club in the past two seasons, so there's no point speculating as to his true motivations. The Club certainly has not been stable or healthy for most of his tenure, which would be an understandable reason to change scenery. If injury management was a problem, again, understandable.

What are the chances that a Sydney JD has an AFL ambassador kicker? After Lance retires (Franklin, not Uppercut) he will be the biggest name in Sydney, and fairly recognisable with the moustachio and NAB-mini campaign. If a low-profile was the goal, Sydney clearly should have sorted this quickly and quietly. The opposite has occurred, and JD is now more in the spotlight than ever.

I think we lack 'big-brother' figures in the club, and the kids post-saga have had to find their own way a bit, rather than have 200+ players offer some guidance and solidarity. Would it change anything? Who knows. Can it be managed? Who knows. Is it relevant here? Who knows.

Let's hope we see 2017 JD.

Exactly. Seems to be this misplaced belief that he didn't want to be at Essendon.

He does, he just wants Essendon to be based in Sydney.

Relocation anyone?

we are the big club - lets relocate Sydney to us.

start dredging the bay, by January we have a harbour, by feb we have an opera house ... then the finishing touch, we build him the bridge to get over it

Then again we've paid Joe $1.8m in the last 2 years to play 11 games. According to BJ didn't do himself any favours in recovery the first time. Then chases bigger contract at Sydney. Some players may look to repay club's faith by getting on field and playing good footy.

Then again we've paid Joe $1.8m in the last 2 years to play 11 games. According to BJ didn't do himself any favours in recovery the first time. Then chases bigger contract at Sydney. Some players may look to repay club's faith by getting on field and playing good footy.
What we've paid him is absolutely irrelevant. This whole "We paid him and he's been injured so he owes us" belief is garbage.

C'est vrai? Well, injury can happen wherever you are, so that's immature. Sydney is not Atlantis and has media and some AFL-supporting public, so that's naive. Perhaps these are PR reasons.

For mine, not enough known about what he has and hasn't done and said inside the Club in the past two seasons, so there's no point speculating as to his true motivations. The Club certainly has not been stable or healthy for most of his tenure, which would be an understandable reason to change scenery. If injury management was a problem, again, understandable.

What are the chances that a Sydney JD has an AFL ambassador kicker? After Lance retires (Franklin, not Uppercut) he will be the biggest name in Sydney, and fairly recognisable with the moustachio and NAB-mini campaign. If a low-profile was the goal, Sydney clearly should have sorted this quickly and quietly. The opposite has occurred, and JD is now more in the spotlight than ever.

I think we lack 'big-brother' figures in the club, and the kids post-saga have had to find their own way a bit, rather than have 200+ players offer some guidance and solidarity. Would it change anything? Who knows. Can it be managed? Who knows. Is it relevant here? Who knows.

Let's hope we see 2017 JD.
The ambassador kicker is not a lot. Under $30k.
As far as speculation goes I back my sources.

I doubt many here have been close to the bubble Joe has been living in during the last couple of years. Walk a day in his shoes and we might appreciate his reasoning.

I can't begin to imagine the comments he gets just being in public. It would be constant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back