Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyody is right Joe is playing Franklin footy haha.

Franklin and Joe to duke it out on who will win the Coleman.

I'm already over everyone trying to shoehorn players as the next buddy. Daniher and Hipwood both getting it at the moment.

Apart from the fact they're both booming kicks and they both get up the ground I don't see any style similarity to Joe. Both do different things up the ground (i.e. Daniher rucks), and where they are most dangerous in the forward line is pretty different too (Joe is much better on a lead or where he can jump, Franklin much better 1 on 1 marking contest or 1 on 1 when ball hits ground).

Those ratings are seriously flawed when he's not already in the top 100.
They're laggy as hell because of a 40 game average that it's based on which is meant to reward consistency. Problem is injury and suspension doesn't necessarily make you a bad player and then you tumble down the rankings anyway. Young players are still judged by how they played a year ago, declining players likewise stay higher than they should when their careers drop off.

It seems to be based on some sort of statistical algorithm that gets the Brownlow medal favourites in the top ten and a few highly paid others in the top 50. Not sure it's much use for ranking anyone else.. and it's apples and oranges anyway when comparing completely different types of players.

They're laggy as hell because of a 40 game average that it's based on which is meant to reward consistency. Problem is injury and suspension doesn't necessarily make you a bad player and then you tumble down the rankings anyway. Young players are still judged by how they played a year ago, declining players likewise stay higher than they should when their careers drop off.

It seems to be based on some sort of statistical algorithm that gets the Brownlow medal favourites in the top ten and a few highly paid others in the top 50. Not sure it's much use for ranking anyone else.. and it's apples and oranges anyway when comparing completely different types of players.
I would argue that he had a very good year last year though.

He's just taken it to another level this year.

I would argue that he had a very good year last year though.

He's just taken it to another level this year.
Not saying he wasn't. But his rank is based on 40 games, not just the ones since we played Melbourne this year, and last year he would understandably not necessarily be top 100.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay (again:oops:) & just noticed Joe doesn't wear a mouthguard. Recall that Fletch didnt as well & had to go looking for a couple of teeth one day, just sayin Joe....
Joe already had that problem once, doesn't seem to have learned though. Must really hate those mouthguards...

I live the gradual improvement we've seen from him ever since he became a regular and became more developed as shown by his season goal tallies.

2014 - 28 goals
2015 - 34 goals
2016 - 43 goals
2017 - currently 45 goals and on track for around 60
-
-
-
2021 - 189 goals

Zerrett at 21 just quietly. Gleeson and Parish approaching top 200 aswell.
it's remarkable how much of a genuine superstar this guy is. Far out. I remember when we drafted him, thinking hmm, his brother is a bit meh albeit I have high hopes for him. God almighty he's just a legit, genuine, rolled gold star and my favourite player

Mentioned Joes ball drop problem last year.
He either drops from to high and the ball goes anywhere or when he guides it down better his leg swings across his body making the ball go right a lot of the time. You can see it now and i have seen it in his TAC games.
The ball drop issue can be fixed but it is hard to fix the mechanics of his kicking action. They need to sort the ball drop and then work on him naturally having that left to right and aiming up accordingly. He should be aiming left post or just inside all the time or taking his time and hooking the ball around his body when he is on more of an angle and closer in as percentage wise it is easier to do it that way.
He is never going to above 60% but they can get him near that mark.

Totally disagree. A change in his mental process would fix the mechanical issue and I firmly believe 60% is achievable.

Totally disagree.

Having worked in junior coaching and been involved with TAC Cup and recruiting for 16 years you can not undo what they learn from age 12 to 18 as far as mechanics go. His natural leg swing is now set. His muscles will always pull across his body in his kicking action.
The ball drop is a mental process issue as is not working on knowing his natural left to right and allowing for it when he lines himself up for goal.

Have spoken to a lot of people abut this over the years and unless they correct the problem early it id extremely difficult to correct.

In the last 11 games, Joe has goaled at about 75% accuracy. This doesn't account for non-scoring shots but it wouldn't be far off.

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back