Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now just hold on there son.

We never saw him dominate against a rampant Hawthorn like Terry did in the 80s.

But comparisons aside he is just bloody wonderful.

Do you think he would marry me?
T.D, just so bloody consistently good, week in week out.

I'm calling it now: best out of all the Danihers. and I'm old enough to have watched Neil.

he's something else
Too early but think he will be.

Terry's cv ain't half bad though....JD needs to actually, you know, achieve/win something, before he take the title from him. I would also add that his criminally underrated Dad got an AA gong playing full-back in a pretty handy era for full-forwards!

Gets me reflecting on Neale and what he could have been - he was something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little premature on the best Daniher call. I didn't see much of the others but TD is rated as our 11th greatest player of all time and is one of our most highly respected Captains. Joe can no doubt go past him by the end of his career but he's not there yet.
that depends on how you judge a players talent. I'm pretty sure Joe won't captain Essendon to back to back flags against Hawthorn... that's a given. TD was a decorated player, who played in one of our best sides ever (1985).

I'm talking sheer talent. and unless Joey has the same horrendous luck as uncle Neale (and misses 90% of his career through injury).... he'll be the best player with the Daniher surname. he could slot into the '85 side with ease.

TD was a workhorse. Mr Fixit. when we needed a focal point up forward, he went to CHF. when we were getting beat, he went to CHB. incredibly reliable player, either end. but he was never the most talented player in the side. his strengths were as a leader, a motivator, an enforcer.

Joey to me is slightly ahead of where Neale was in '81. winning matches off his own boot and the skies the limit. he has more talent though.

fair deuce?

that depends on how you judge a players talent. I'm pretty sure Joe won't captain Essendon to back to back flags against Hawthorn... that's a given. TD was a decorated player, who played in one of our best sides ever (1985).

I'm talking sheer talent. and unless Joey has the same horrendous luck as uncle Neale (and misses 90% of his career through injury).... he'll be the best player with the Daniher surname. he could slot into the '85 side with ease.

TD was a workhorse. Mr Fixit. when we needed a focal point up forward, he went to CHF. when we were getting beat, he went to CHB. incredibly reliable player, either end. but he was never the most talented player in the side. his strengths were as a leader, a motivator, an enforcer.

Joey to me is slightly ahead of where Neale was in '81. winning matches off his own boot and the skies the limit. he has more talent though.

fair deuce?
I agree with the talent part to a degree.

You sais best Daniher though. Lot of water under the bridge yet.

It's possible he could be but it's disrespectful to TD say that now. Twice premiership captain carries a lot of weight in my book.

Complimentary words by Lyon. He's up to no good!

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/17/bombers-praised-for-daniher-deal/

“As I was watching that game, I was thinking how well Essendon have done to avoid the hype of having Daniher out of contract in the back half of this year,” Lyon said on SEN Breakfast.

“Can you imagine if had he not signed to this stage and he continues to play and dominate games like he has?"

Complimentary words by Lyon. He's up to no good!

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/17/bombers-praised-for-daniher-deal/

“As I was watching that game, I was thinking how well Essendon have done to avoid the hype of having Daniher out of contract in the back half of this year,” Lyon said on SEN Breakfast.

“Can you imagine if had he not signed to this stage and he continues to play and dominate games like he has?"

Particularly given Garry tried to create the hype by trying to talk him up in may....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...test-prospect-in-the-afl-20170524-gwcnt0.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was getting stuck into Hooker a bit when he was down. Lyon generally has nothing good to say about us.

He does like Joe though.
We are the team you either love or love to hate, with players you either love or love to hate.

Garry Lyon would seem to be no exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back