Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like him to win it from here.

McGrath will win the Rising Star, if Zach can just get back to his Brownlow form and we can win the flag, we'll have a sweep

Needs a bag this week.

Buddy and JK both have the Blues at home in their run home

I think we knew he went in for surgery on his... wrist? Right after the end of last season, and then heard something about an ankle or knee in the early part of the preseason.

Now they're telling us he was on a severely restricted program for most of the summer, which meant no kicking or jumping?!

No wonder he took some time to find form with his goal kicking, after he was supposedly going to spend all summer working on it... and then got a right smashing on here when he was inaccurate.

Imagine how many he could've kicked if he'd had this form from the start instead of since the Melbourne game?

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-01/attitude-drives-daniher-forward
A knee problem kept Daniher on a restricted program for much of the summer, but despite the build-up he’s booted 53 goals this season to lead the Coleman Medal race with four home and away matches remaining.

“We’ve obviously known he was a super talent,” Worsfold told The Footy Panel.

“I remember watching his first game and he probably didn’t have a massive impact but you could see the class and the quality and the talent that the kid had.

“He’s developed as good as any 200cm tall forward has in the history of the game I believe.

“He works hard, he’s got a great attitude.

“His pre-season was heavily interrupted but his attitude to making sure he was still going to do the work in different ways – he was really restricted from a lot of kicking and jumping but he managed to get his running loads in and it’s paid off for him.

“That’s a credit to the resilience but also the commitment that the kid’s got.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-01/attitude-drives-daniher-forward

I usually disagree with a lot of what KB says. Cant argue with this though.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/01/kbs-take-or-the-games-most-exciting-player/

GettyImages-694439988.jpg

Buddy Franklin has been the most exciting player in the game for many years.

Despite the fact that he is a poor mark overhead, Buddy’s size, speed, agility and long-range kicking has had us all gasping over many seasons.

It’s a given Patrick Dangerfield is also exciting, so too is Dustin Martin – as both players catch the eye of the fans when they go for the ball.

Joe Daniher may not be the best player in the game yet, but that is just a matter of time away. I think he has become the most exciting player we have in the game today.

Like Buddy he is quick, agile and can bomb it from a long way out.

But what he does better than Buddy is, he can take great breathtaking high pack marks and he takes a turn in the ruck as well.

Every time the ball comes into his vicinity there is a huge expectation that the young Bomber will do something special.

It’s been hard to displace Buddy as the game's No.1, but the young man who leads the Coleman Medal has just hip and shouldered Franklin out of the way.

I’m KB, that’s my take.

I usually disagree with a lot of what KB says. Cant argue with this though.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/01/kbs-take-or-the-games-most-exciting-player/

GettyImages-694439988.jpg

Buddy Franklin has been the most exciting player in the game for many years.

Despite the fact that he is a poor mark overhead, Buddy’s size, speed, agility and long-range kicking has had us all gasping over many seasons.

It’s a given Patrick Dangerfield is also exciting, so too is Dustin Martin – as both players catch the eye of the fans when they go for the ball.

Joe Daniher may not be the best player in the game yet, but that is just a matter of time away. I think he has become the most exciting player we have in the game today.

Like Buddy he is quick, agile and can bomb it from a long way out.

But what he does better than Buddy is, he can take great breathtaking high pack marks and he takes a turn in the ruck as well.

Every time the ball comes into his vicinity there is a huge expectation that the young Bomber will do something special.

It’s been hard to displace Buddy as the game's No.1, but the young man who leads the Coleman Medal has just hip and shouldered Franklin out of the way.

I’m KB, that’s my take.
Damn straight he is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this rate I think he'll surpass any EFC player we've seen going back to the mid 80s (with the other greats who'd be in that sort of conversation being too old for anyone here to remember)

Given the quality of players included in that list it's remarkable.

He combines the theatre, brilliance and physical power of Ablett Snr and Franklin but he'll be more rounded.

At this rate I think he'll surpass any EFC player we've seen going back to the mid 80s (with the other greats who'd be in that sort of conversation being too old for anyone here to remember)

Given the quality of players included in that list it's remarkable.

He combines the theatre, brilliance and physical power of Ablett Snr and Franklin but he'll be more rounded.
If he surpasses Hird then we have a club great.

I'm not getting that carried away just yet. Hird was brilliant to watch.

Lloyd was handy too almost kicking 1000 goals ;)
Interestingly, if he manages to average 2.9 goals a game over the next 10 years (assuming he plays 21 games a season, accounting for injuries and suspensions and possible finals)

He will over take Lloyd. He has averaged 2.9 this year and could easily improve that average over the next 5-6.

Disappointed the last 5 years has tarnished Hird's reputation. He should genuinely be in the conversation in the top 10 greatest players of the last 30 years
Top 3.

Never seen a guy influence a game as much as Jimmy.

Wherever he was needed he would just go there and win the ball.

Amount of times we turned to him to influence a game and for him to stand up was just incredible.

Top 3.

Never seen a guy influence a game as much as Jimmy.

Wherever he was needed he would just go there and win the ball.

Amount of times we turned to him to influence a game and for him to stand up was just incredible.

My old Italian neighbour was saying during about 2004 that James Hird was the best player he'd ever seen.

I don't think Hird's the best in the past 60+ years but I thought it was massive to hear an avid, Carlton-supporting footy fan putting Hird on that pedestal.

The way the game is played is it fair to say 700 goals be the equivalent of 1000 in the past? It is going to be hard to compare players as leading goal kickers from different eras.
NOT FOR JOE inb4 2000 goals

My old Italian neighbour was saying during about 2004 that James Hird was the best player he'd ever seen.

I don't think Hird's the best in the past 60+ years but I thought it was massive to hear an avid, Carlton-supporting footy fan putting Hird on that pedestal.
That is big if a Carlton supporter says that.

Hird is the toughest player I have seen. They would just smash him all day and he would just pick himself up and jog off. They talk about Selwood but I think Jimmy copped way more punishment. Then their is obviously the horrific injuries he got. Most players take half a season to get back into touch after the injuries he had but most of the time he would be best on ground first game back after being out for 6 months.

Most skilled unskilled player I have seen too:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back