Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick 4 and 8 is still unders. Heeney, Parker or Blakey would need to be in any conversation about Joe.
Who was the last player to go for 2 Top 10 picks?

When it comes down to it if Shiel is worth two first rounders and O’meara who was cooked was also worth two first rounders... Daniher is worth two first round pics maybe not 4 & 8 but at least say 4 & something late first round. That’s what I’d be saying if I was Essendon if he requested a trade.

Collingwood gave up 2 top ten picks for Treloar in the end. #7 one year and a future first which became #8 I believe.
And they got a 2nd back.

Besides Collingwood wouldn't have thought it was 2 Top 10 when they did it. I'm looking for a trade where a club knowingly handed over 2 Top 10 picks.

Only one that could come close would be Judd to Carlton

Pick 3 and former pick 2 who just turned 20/21?

That was for the best player in the comp at the time, and not a possibly broken down CHF

Agreed that Joe probably isn't worth 2 first round picks but unless there's someone else exceptional we could get there's no point trading for less.
The big thing is his VORP though, we’ve seen what Mitch Brown/McKernan can offer in a full year as against what an unfit Joe can do in a couple of games. Is he worth 2 first rounders in a vacuum? Probably not. Is he worth 2 first rounders to us right now? Absolutely. The two teams playing in the GF have high quality tall forwards, Geelong may well have made the GF if Hawkins was out there in the prelim. Structurally he’s our most important player and the only chance we have at doing any September damage.

Who was the last player to go for 2 Top 10 picks?
Not sure. This wouldn't be a regular trade though. Midfielders are traded every year because there are so many of them. Key forwards are hard to find. Just on the Judd trade, which was pick 3, JK (pick 4) and pick 20 for Judd. Judd won another brownlow at Carlton. But JK has kicked over 600 goals and was one of the bigger pieces of a WC flag. The picks 3 and 20 were pretty much worthless although masten did get to 200 games. Who won that trade? If you believe Carlton won the trade i would point to the fact that they never made it past a semi in his time. If you're like me and believe west coast won the trade then i think you'll find that is purely because of JK( coleman medals and premiership). Not pick 3 and 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're tapping him up, they're presumably going to offer him a very good contract, and we don't have anyone to replace him. Pay up.
And if they refuse to pay up, wait a year until he’s an RFA. The compo could well be the same or better than the swans offer this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back