VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

is there another McKernan?
Years ago my mate came back from a Kisstroyer show telling me he was standing in front of Boof who I'm pretty sure he told me was there to see his brother; a ridiculously oversized version of Paul Stanley. Google tells me a Matthew Mckernan quit as Kisstroyer's Paul Stanley in 2007, and went on to join a band called "Vintage Kiss" as Gene Simmons. Dunno if it's true about the brother bit.

I don't understand how you can be so brutal to Shaun McKernan but still speak glowingly about Mitch Brown.
Because Brown is a far better player, and by glowingly, you mean "AFL standard KPP"?

Because Brown is a far better player, and by glowingly, you mean "AFL standard KPP"?

Wow - Brown a far better player than McKernan - certainly not this year mate, I know stats dont count for everything, but you cant be serious saying brown is far better than Smack in 2018;-

McKernan: games - 8, average disposals: 14.1, marks: 5.6, hit-outs: 8.8, tackles: 2.4, goals: 1.8
Brown: games - 7, average disposals: 12.6, marks: 5.7, hit-outs: 0, tackles: 1.4, goals: 0.6

Comon mate admit your way off with this one

You lot are underrating him, who else in the entire competition is taking big grabs and kicking 3-4 goals a game??

Buddy?

You lot are underrating him, who else in the entire competition is taking big grabs and kicking 3-4 goals a game??

Buddy?

Not McKernan?

For the record;

Average career highs in;

Goals per game
Marks per game
14.1 per game

Has also chalked up 4 more goals (16) in half the amount of games (8) than his second best career best goal kicking season.

Going along well is Shaun

I'm going to assume the 14.1 is disposals, which I'd say is not a career high, considering he got it 20+ a few times in 2015. He also hasn't kicked 16 goals this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I give McKernan a 2 year deal. Two bags of four , probably should of had another 4 on the weekend as well. There's some crap in between but I always like that smack is providing a contest. Go back and watch the lions game you see that even though he didn't take a lot of grabs his contest had the ball around our 50.

Once Joe's back I think it's up for grabs who's up there with him and Stewart right now is now sure thing.

We do need him next year. Depends on what interest there is (or what his manager can make Us believe) from other clubs.

I’d be OK with 2 if it was the difference. Would like to see Daniher, McKernan and Stringer all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m incredibly sceptical on McKernan and Daniher working together, as far as I’m concerned he’s understudying Daniher and Brown is understudying Stewart.

They’ve both been important because they’ve meant we haven’t had to change styles and roles but they’re both backups

Wow - Brown a far better player than McKernan - certainly not this year mate, I know stats dont count for everything, but you cant be serious saying brown is far better than Smack in 2018;-

McKernan: games - 8, average disposals: 14.1, marks: 5.6, hit-outs: 8.8, tackles: 2.4, goals: 1.8
Brown: games - 7, average disposals: 12.6, marks: 5.7, hit-outs: 0, tackles: 1.4, goals: 0.6

Comon mate admit your way off with this one
Let's ignore the fact that half of Brown's games have been played in defence this year. Also earlier in the thread I pointed out their history, Brown's best year as a forward has outstripped McKernan at both AFL level and VFL/SANFL level. He has outperformed Smack in 3 of the four games they've played forward this year, fact. Would take Brown every day of the week and twice on gameday.

Let's ignore the fact that half of Brown's games have been played in defence this year. Also earlier in the thread I pointed out their history, Brown's best year as a forward has outstripped McKernan at both AFL level and VFL/SANFL level. He has outperformed Smack in 3 of the four games they've played forward this year, fact. Would take Brown every day of the week and twice on gameday.
Opinion.

Not fact.

Could easily be argued Smack was better then Mitch on Sunday.

And ok lets focus on Mitch's games as a forward.

McKernan: games - 8, average disposals: 14.1, marks: 5.6, hit-outs: 8.8, tackles: 2.4, goals: 1.8, i50: 2.3, contested marks: 1.3, i50 Marks: 2.3
Brown: games - 4, average disposals: 13.0, marks: 6.0, hit-outs: 0, tackles: 1.8, goals: 1.5, i50: 1.8, contested marks: 1.3, i50 Marks: 1.8

What qualifier do you want to use next to try and dismiss the clear statistical evidence Shaun has been better as a forward this season then Mitch?

Edit: And while you're at it which season of Mitch as a forward are you referring to as outstripping any of Shaun's?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back