AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Your ANZAC Day Medallist - 25/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: defensive running, I think its just been a change of focus for Zach. He's obviously identified it as a part of his game that needed attention if he was to lead this club to success, and he's the type of player to excel in the areas that he gives attention. Next should be his set shot goal kicking.

He's always been a good tackler, and not the worst defensive player, but I do think he's really made defensive running a focus in a way he hasn't in the past.
Yeah fair point, just think that has now morphed into him previously being an outside seagull who didn't like the contested game.

The improvement in his defensive game started after he was left out of the leadership group. It was one of the reasons he was voted out .
There has been a steady improvement since then and has ramped up since taking over as captain.

I have always struggled with that version ant555 (not that I am saying what you say is untrue). It was player voted yeah?

He was fantastic defensively when he first started and was then asked to stay out of the mess so that we could better use his kicking which is a weapon. There was one TV grab where he was struggling because he had the flu and then this idea that he was no good defensively was created. I reckon it was more the role he was asked to play rather than lack of intent.

I have always struggled with that version ant555 (not that I am saying what you say is untrue). It was player voted yeah?

He was fantastic defensively when he first started and was then asked to stay out of the mess so that we could better use his kicking which is a weapon. There was one TV grab where he was struggling because he had the flu and then this idea that he was no good defensively was created. I reckon it was more the role he was asked to play rather than lack of intent.
I can only go on my information and the defence was part of it . Yes it was player voted and there were other factors but from what I know there was a number of area’s scored within the vote.
The whole thing was probably a bit questionable as my info is he only just missed out and some of the questions may have been a bit leading .
Personally I do not think he was a great defensive runner and that is an area of the game I do watch closely. Ball hunters generally don’t start as good defensive runners. He has always had good tackle numbers and played that side of the game well .
I can not comment on the exact role he was asked to play but the defensive running side of things has been a gradual improvement in the last few years.
Maybe they thought he was taking the distribution role a bit too far one way .
As I say it was only part of it .

Agreed, it’s become this weird meme amongst people who’ve obviously rarely watched Essendon that he was ever a ‘bad’ defensive player.
I remember only two years ago, a footy fanatic trying to tell me that he was a vanilla player that got cheap possessions, didn't tackle and was an average kick. 🤷🏻‍♀️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can only go on my information and the defence was part of it . Yes it was player voted and there were other factors but from what I know there was a number of area’s scored within the vote.
The whole thing was probably a bit questionable as my info is he only just missed out and some of the questions may have been a bit leading .
Personally I do not think he was a great defensive runner and that is an area of the game I do watch closely. Ball hunters generally don’t start as good defensive runners. He has always had good tackle numbers and played that side of the game well .
I can not comment on the exact role he was asked to play but the defensive running side of things has been a gradual improvement in the last few years.
Maybe they thought he was taking the distribution role a bit too far one way .
As I say it was only part of it .
Think we sometimes conflate tacking with being good defensively. It’s part of it, but not all of it.

Merrett has always been a very good tackler - he’s seems to be very, very strong pound for pound- but far from convinced he was a good two way runner. Only got the eye test to go on but I think he’s improved significantly in this aspect.

Think we sometimes conflate tacking with being good defensively. It’s part of it, but not all of it.

Merrett has always been a very good tackler - he’s seems to be very, very strong pound for pound- but far from convinced he was a good two way runner. Only got the eye test to go on but I think he’s improved significantly in this aspect.
Agree. He used to ball watch in the back half a bit too much early on. He seems a lot better now.

Not that "My Boy" needs anyone to pump his tyres up, but Doise has really hit the nail on the head with these comments. :moustache: :moustache: :moustache:

THE BEST THREE BOMBERS HE HAS PLAYED WITH
"Jobe Watson, Zach Merrett, Michael Hurley. Jobe's leadership capabilities were there but his big-game moments dragging his team over the line through sheer competitive will [stood out].

Zachy is just an all-round weapon, he gets tagged week-in week-out and just has the greatest mental resolve to handle those situations and has grown so much as a leader. He's the best kick I've ever seen and decision-maker.

And 'Hurls', you could play him forward or back but I remember just being so inspired by the bloke, he'd [take] multiple intercept marks, be bodying up on some of the biggest blokes on the ground and just a real awesome character to have around the group."

Less of this next week please Zac.

Confused High Quality GIF

Yep, was such a un-Zach like game disposal wise, so many bad decisions and/or execution. Looked rushed even when he had space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Worst game he's played in a while. Can't even blame the tag because it was mostly down to his terrible disposal. I reckon at one point he had a run of 4 straight disposals that were all direct turnovers. Played mostly forward in the 2nd half and did nothing.
Could be the worst game he's played in several years honestly.
Shows how hard he carries us, when he's a little bit off we're useless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back