Player Watch #7: Jack Viney (VC) - in until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Luke Hodge or Jordan Lewis told a story of him going down to hawks training as a 17 year old and they had to tell him to relax cause he was going to hard for training lol and that was a pretty rough midfield at the Hawks back then.

I still get tilted by the commentators rushing to Rance's defence.
  • "That's just a man that's frustrated"
  • "He's tried his heart out"
  • "Most uncharacteristic"
  • "Gee that's uncharacteristic"
  • "Pure frustration from a man that gives everything"
🤮
One of them was Carey so it's not too surprising

I remember round 1 against Gold Coast in 2015. Ablett played coming off a shoulder reconstruction. First chance Viney got, dumped him in a tackle and drove the shoulder into the ground

I remember round 1 against Gold Coast in 2015. Ablett played coming off a shoulder reconstruction. First chance Viney got, dumped him in a tackle and drove the shoulder into the ground
I remember Viney injuring GAblett's shoulder two years in a row whilst tagging him, when he still played at Geelong.

Safe to say Viney is not on the Christmas card list

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Currently averaging his fewest disposals per game since 2014 (not including the shortened matches in 2020).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if he's carrying a niggle like maybe a few others? The shoulder could be hampering him possibly. We came into the season a bit banged up and so far we've seemingly failed to do anything about that. The Oliver finger injury was a horrendous example of how we deal with this stuff.

Melbourne supporters always looking for excuses to just poor form.

Maybe just maybe, Viney being close to 31 years of age and right at the back end of his career could mean that he's simply cooked and we just simply accept that as it is..

Look at Brad Crouch from the Saints who came in the same draft year as Viney. He's struggling to break in because of his lack of pace has caught up to him with the speed of the game. Viney is exactly heading that direction.

Maybe just maybe, Viney being close to 31 years of age and right at the back end of his career could mean that he's simply cooked and we just simply accept that as it is..

Look at Brad Crouch from the Saints who came in the same draft year as Viney. He's struggling to break in because of his lack of pace has caught up to him with the speed of the game. Viney is exactly heading that direction.

Shit I thought he was 29
Was gonna say maybe he's playing with injury? But you're right he could easily be cooked. Hes not the world's smartest player he solely relies on his bravery and physicality to win the footy and if that's dropped away (the second part anyway) then he'll walk straight off the cliff

Maybe just maybe, Viney being close to 31 years of age
He legit just turned 30 a month ago

Thats like a kid who tuned 6 four weeks ago saying they are almost 7

But he could be cooked

I'm reluctant to write him off coz I've had a similar grim view of him in previous seasons when he's gone thru some down patches and he's bounced back. But absolutely, age could be catching up.

The Oliver finger injury was a horrendous example of how we deal with this stuff.
Yeah nah, I'm just not seeing how a broken finger correlates to him being that out of form. Two weeks in a row he was carrying that injury and absolutely SQUIBBED a contest, if you're putting your body in the way of a player you can protect your pinkie pretty easily.

Not like handballs either, he throws the bloody thing.

Yeah nah, I'm just not seeing how a broken finger correlates to him being that out of form. Two weeks in a row he was carrying that injury and absolutely SQUIBBED a contest, if you're putting your body in the way of a player you can protect your pinkie pretty easily.

Not like handballs either, he throws the bloody thing.

I'm not talking about his form, I'm talking about it being an example of how we mishandle injuries. He clearly shouldn't have been playing, they should have sent him off for surgery straight away and let him miss a couple of games, but they pushed it and he was rubbish for at least 2 of the games as he couldn't even pick up the ball. There's been stacks of other examples of us pushing injured players too hard the last few years as well. Big part of the reason we went out in straight sets two years in a row was this riding players into the ground so they're all struggling by the time we hit finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Jack Viney (VC) - in until 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back