Delisted #7: Leroy Jetta

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: #7: Leroy Jetta - Playing for frees?

One of the major reasons we're in the top 2, is the form of the partnership in Davey and Jetta. IMO they have been our barometer.

Jetta's incident against Richmond was disappointing yet it wasn't in play, he tried to suck a firey player in and emphasis contact like heaps of players do. He was just being a pest. The MRP then pinged him for something secondary in an attempt to send a message to the competition. It didn't work. This week saw countless attempts of staging/diving.

Against GWS last week, I thought it was obvious that we were missing his pressure acts in the forward line and was a major contributor to why we looked so flat in the first half.

Last night Jetta probably played his worst game of the year, his work rate was down, and more importantly he looked like the player of previous years, no confidence. When Jetta dived again last night it was different, he wasn't being a pest, he had conceded that he was out of that play, it was uncharacteristic of Jetta's season to date. Instead of putting in secondary efforts like he has been he choose to throw his head back.

The thought I have that I hope is very wrong, is that in the attempt to send a message to the competition, the MRP incorrectly suspended Jetta, which may have destroyed Leroy's confidence and momentum that Hird worked so hard to generate and in turn having a negative effect on the rest of the team.

The TV cameras showed Jetta hunched over quite some time after the alleged stage.

Does anyone else think that the tackler got Jetta in the nuts and that that is why Jetta threw the head back? There was a deffinate closeness of the hand to the relevant area and I know I do all sorts or things under the stress of coping one in the jats.

I'll add that I think this whole staging rule is an utter farce that belies the oft ignored reality that AFL players have staged since the dawn of time (what exactly was KB doing all that time?). I don't know why it has to be Jetta that is publicly embarassed for doing no more than 200 other players each week. All this sh1t becomes self fulfilling with slomo replays and the like and it wil be the same players that are highlighted each week so the AFL can pretend its stars are tough, macho men who do not stage for free kicks (Joel Selwood I am looking at you).

For unrelated reasons I would seriously consider dropping Jetta for a week or two becaue he has departed from the discipline and intensity that saw him start the year on fire. At the very least he needs a kick up the arse beacuse he has been playing too darn well to let it all slide.

Let off

"The actions of Essendon's Leroy Jetta during the second quarter of Saturday's game were assessed. The panel said Jetta had the ball and was trying to avoid being tackled as he prepared to kick for goal. Melbourne player Joel Macdonald dispossessed Jetta with an attempted tackle and Jetta exaggerated the contact by falling backwards as he went to ground. The panel said that while Jetta's actions were exaggerated, it was their view they were not excessive in nature and he did not feign illegal contact. No further action was taken."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/137750/default.aspx

Gus had a chat with Leroy today regarding staging for frees.
In private? An interview?

Or are you deliberately being vague?

ffs leroy, stop trying to do the flashy things and focus on getting a kick!

I almost threw the remote at the tv when I saw him try to kick a miracle goal out of the air last night.
needs to stop drinking his own bathwater and knuckle down
:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see him play as a midfielder for a few weeks given Zaharakis is still out. See how he goes and see how Del goes in Jetta's small forward role in tandem with Davey.

Throw the kid a challenge. We've all seen him play well in the middle before (late 2010) so why not now that he is supposedly fitter and stronger?

He's gotten himself into some bad habits, he's toying with the ball far too much, needs to commit harder at the ball.

This is why I'd like to see him in the middle.

See ball, get ball. You generally don't have as much time to dispose of it so it'll force him to take the first option.

Laid 8 tackles so at least his defensive work is still good.

Was the only one putting his body on the line defensively... even Howlett was off in that area.

It was way too late in the match, but Jetta laid a massive tackle on McEvoy in the goal square in the last quarter after he had been left alone up there all night. Shame it took one of our smallest to set the example.

Been shocking of late, where is he at? Not kicking goals, not laying tackles, failing to apply pressure, looks like he's just out for a jog and a couple of cheap kicks if they fall into his lap. Has he gone backwards since last year?

I would think he might be up for trade if clubs come knocking...if he's at Essendon next year I would like to see him in the midfield or playing across half back.

Is so far from the problem it isn't funny.

Like any small forward he is only ever going to look as good as the side does. He is a better player than Stokes, for example.

Jetta at Sydney is going to be found out big time in the coming weeks given that his form has tailed off badly in the intense battles of the past few weeks.

Three years in a row he's started the year looking magnificent and then faded to look ordinary late in the year. Leroy is not the only one in the side like this of course. Obviously the preseason this year will have the second half of the season in mind. Those who continually don't finish seasons will have to be traded/delisted or we'll never be damaging in finals!!

Small forwards, by nature, are front runners. You can't expect them to play well when your midfield plays poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back