Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

But its all pointless speculation now.
a million times this.

Now he's just a coulda been player who has a handful of games where he was good.

Zane hopefully has a career in front of him where any comparison is absurd through weight of numbers through his games played.

Tarryn is a bit like that ex lover you can’t stop reminiscing about. You only remember the good times and magically forget the bad times.
Similar to something I have read adults who go no or low contact with their parents and it wears on them that they don't have a relationship with their parents. So they try to mend fences, but the fence mending is not based on the reality of the situation. It is based on the persons desire to have the parent they have dreamt up in their head. The one they want/ed.

This, what people are doing with Thomas, is that.

Thomas could have been anything. absolutely had the talent to be a 20-2 player. was never that. Sans some massive redemption arch will never be that.

Zane on the other hand, could be anything, hopefully we have more right off field and we provide him with the platform to launch into become everything he could be.

Well yes, but I see absolutely zero reason, why you'd play this fella ahead of him. Unless as you say just pump games into him. He is going to be a very good footballer. Nifty Nev reiterated that at the GF reunion apparently.

The other fella & Duursma

View attachment 2023273
I get where you're coming from.

With Z I think its just in the VFL he has a bit more freedom to take the game on against grown men at a higher level and can develop some confidence about what he can do. 25 and 3 goals is a great game. Over three times the output he's averaged this season stats wise at least.

The other guy... well there's a bunch of players I'd have picked before him anyway.

I think he could use more of this at VFL level, to be honest I think he could use a pre season before really launching, but I'd also happily have him in the team now that it is playing more attacking football. Best he looked was against Fremantle - coincidentally another game we actually got the ball forward fast and decisively. I think he could have an impact in the forward structure we are now wheeling out.

Should have another week in VFL. played a good game but needs to back it up, especially considering it was against a delpeted collingwood vfl team. Afl forward line just kicked its highest score of the year and is functioning well, wouldn't want to change much besides stephenson going out but even then he was sub.

Worth noting that he was playing midfield for quite a bit in the VFL on the weekend. He probably won't get that opportunity if he comes back to the AFL in a hurry.
We have moved to a very high midfield rotation strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if we are looking to get that ability across for all of our high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth noting that he was playing midfield for quite a bit in the VFL on the weekend. He probably won't get that opportunity if he comes back to the AFL in a hurry.

Imagine that we have built the luxury of being able to give him time in the VFL in order to hone a role we can give him in the Seniors.

Completely fine with him being a bit slower burn with the footy we are playing at the moment.

Let him build in the twos and bring him in once he dominates.

No issue with being able to give players development time in the reserves.

Has so many promising attributes that he’s displayed at afl level and vfl level this season. Has exceeded my expectations as I thought he’d struggle given his size. Already looks a bit bigger than day 1 preseason.

That said, my concern is his intensity. Sometimes like the above clip he seems to put the foot down and fight like hell.

But that’s too infrequent for mine. I’d like to see him more engaged and desperate more often. And that’s not a surprise, his dad said it was a weakness of his going into the draft.

If he fixes that he’ll be an amazing player.

If doesn’t he’s hoskin-Elliot level

Looks like a better prospect when played around the ball. His overhead marking and ability to play forward would add something different to our midfield mix long term

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back