Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Zane get called into HQ and told to lift his standards.

If so I like it and you must make people accountable. All good of course but yeah. Not saying it happened of course.

And he's a youngster so if it did happen I'm sure it was done respectfully.

Not saying it did happen though
I mean he is being mentored by Stephenson.
WTF did the club think was going to happen?

Stephenson "this is how you do a sick mono"
"See the key is Duurs is to not bet on yourself kicking a goal.
Its to bet on yourself going goalless."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's probably best suited playing mid and then drifting forward and using that (beautiful) drift in from the side rather than playing pure forward.

If he plays pure forward it doesn't suit his strengths because he has to lead in straight lines more and he doesn't have the pure speed required to apply pressure on half backs.

In the midfield he can use his big body and reach to apply the required standard of pressure then roam around taking big marks off acute angles.

Maybe some of you flogs could do with supporting players for a change.

Zane has got a tattoo of Olive Oil on his arse, lost 6 kg and started a podcast called "Let's Get Zaney" since being drafted.

Mentoring works.
Disappointed Zane didn't call his podcast "Inzane in the Brain"

I’m not quite sure what our plans are for Duursma for the rest of the season. He’s basically playing as a full time mid at VFL, I assume for his development and growth as a player - which makes total sense. He does look much more impactful as a forward and if he gets back into the seniors side it won’t be breaking in as a midfielder. Looks like the coaching staff are planning for him to spend majority of the remaining season in the twos unless.

Side note, he did show some promising intensity in the clearance and applied really good pressure/tackling.

3 goals to his name seems a decent effort on paper. For those who watched the VFL, does he deserve a call-up?

I don't even know what his role is in this side, or whose position he takes,

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back