Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people surprised? He was touted as a top 3 pick for everything he has shown to this point today. I’m not sure the twos are a standard he see’s himself even developing in. The same expectations we have for Colby should mirror this kids. There’s a reason so many were hungry to get him.
Up until today he has reminded me a lot those skinnier 3rd tall players that clubs have reached for looking for the next Bont, Fyfe etc. Think Hoskin-Elliott Scrimshaw, Setterfield, Kemp, Troy Menzel or even Jarrad Grant/Cale Morton back in the day. A part of me just thought that he's built to dominate the open spaces of junior footy but might just be a bit player or total bust at the top level. Then there was also Curtin, Watson and Sanders who all looked attractive for different reasons.

After today though I can see what is special about this kid. Don't look at the noodle arms, Duursma surname or sheepish grin he walks around with. Look at his will to compete, to mark, to kick goals. You can see he just wants the ball in his hands and isn't worried about who is coming across to barrel into him. His development seems to be ahead of track too, as he has gone from a rd 1 smoky to a certainty today.

Good marking, might just live up to Curtis Taylor's legacy at half forward.

Just looks like he belongs already.
Looks like he jumps too early, but then its almost like he has rockets in his boots that give him that little extra bit that gets him up above everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge positive out of the day. I honestly think they were just keen to give him some exposure against an AFL team but he looked great and may just have given the club a selection headache. You'd have him in over say Curtis based on today no problems. Linked up the ground as well, just a natural.

Still think he's well off his playing weight and fitness - which bodes awfully well for us. With 3-4 years of development he will be an absolute weapon and a nightmare matchup.

That mark he took early in the fourth, OMG. Just soared gracefully and landed like a cat......
The high marking, straight kicking, and clean hands were emphasised in his draft previews, but the way he moves.. :hearteyes: ..silky smooth, oozing class.

Has a frame that the club could build a few different types of players on, depending on needs.

Up until today he has reminded me a lot those skinnier 3rd tall players that clubs have reached for looking for the next Bont, Fyfe etc. Think Hoskin-Elliott Scrimshaw, Setterfield, Kemp, Troy Menzel or even Jarrad Grant/Cale Morton back in the day. A part of me just thought that he's built to dominate the open spaces of junior footy but might just be a bit player or total bust at the top level. Then there was also Curtin, Watson and Sanders who all looked attractive for different reasons.

After today though I can see what is special about this kid. Don't look at the noodle arms, Duursma surname or sheepish grin he walks around with. Look at his will to compete, to mark, to kick goals. You can see he just wants the ball in his hands and isn't worried about who is coming across to barrel into him. His development seems to be ahead of track too, as he has gone from a rd 1 smoky to a certainty today.
good post except the reference to cale morton,

First time watching live.....his got that Jack Gunston/Lukosius foward factor but has more midfield capabilities than those two.

We're not as decimated in our forward-line compared to our backs....but the forward half of the ground could do with a player of his class.

Should play Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back