Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

The left handed bounce before the kick to CCJ :eek:

Just on that first goal, anyone else notice the StKilda player knock the ball away from Duursma well after the free kick was paid? No 50 for that was poor umpiring. They saw the one in the last qtr when Larkey got the free kick in the square and the StKilda player kicked the ball away - a "50" was awarded and Larkey's free kick was from the goal line. They were very lucky to get away with Howard's massive and late shove in the back to Larkey in the second qtr after he marked near the boundary in the pocket. No such luck with Schoenmakers idiotic dropping the ball on the turf in the 3rd qtr guaranteeing a Larkey goal. It just seems like these niggly little antisocial tactics are intentional. There will come a day when StKilda gets pinged for several 50 metre penalties in the one game.

Going to take some absolute hangers this kid. Brilliant spring and great hands. Sits off the pack and reads it beautifully to float across in front. Will add a lot to our forward setup. PC and the rest of the smalls should start focusing on reading the drop as Zane is always going to get hands on a high ball directed at him.

A few times as he worked up on to HF/wings I thought we had another blond-headed version of Sheezel. Smarts, composure and TIME.

This guy has massive hops and floats like a butterfly going for the mark.

It reminds me of when you would put all your NBA 2k points in ball handling and layups and end up making layup from the three point line: the guy seems to have the ball on a string.

Super impressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The left handed bounce before the kick to CCJ :eek:

That dangerous Sheezel kick in the fourth quarter into a crowded corridor, where Duursma comes from nowhere to outmark 6 other players with grace.

Hungry Ad-Rock GIF by Beastie Boys

Why are people surprised? He was touted as a top 3 pick for everything he has shown to this point today.
I watched a tonne of his footy last year and realistically didn’t think he would play early on in the year mainly due to his slighter build and the need to develop his tank. His talent is undeniable but I thought it might’ve taken some time to adjust to the bigger bodies. Yesterday, he more than showed he has enough tools to only only compete, but be damaging.

Since he has been at the club he has put on 3kg of muscle, so he has been working hard in the gym.

How's the tap @ 1.47 to Kerch I think.

Its great to have these kids who think so quickly and choose good creative options.

I mentioned that in the game day thread, it was ridiculous that he managed to get a hand on that.

I watched a tonne of his footy last year and realistically didn’t think he would play early on in the year mainly due to his slighter build and the need to develop his tank. His talent is undeniable but I thought it might’ve taken some time to adjust to the bigger bodies. Yesterday, he more than showed he has enough tools to only only compete, but be damaging.

Since he has been at the club he has put on 3kg of muscle, so he has been working hard in the gym.

I mentioned that in the game day thread, it was ridiculous that he managed to get a hand on that.

Do you know how tall he is? Looked taller than I thought he was, could he have grown a bit too?

Do you know how tall he is? Looked taller than I thought he was, could he have grown a bit too?

He measured 188.8cm at the combine last year. They have him down as 190cm on his player profile on our website. Would surprise me at all if he was 191ish.

Not sure if it’s long arms, but he definitely looks taller

I get the being lean thing being a sign of doubt for people when talking about general afl players being ready - but I just don’t see it with this kids bone structure. He is tall and genetically built. I went on about it last year but he almost looks like he is already on par with Gunston, Hoskin-Elliot and Whitfield. Which is what we wanted, an agile creative forward.

Understandably, we’ve had Stephenson types, and Taylor’s really setting expectations. But in my opinion, this kids best footy doesn’t change much based on weight - just because he is purely made for the role. Plus his marking ability is something Xerri and Comben dream about

You probably wont appreciate the comparison but he always reminded me of Hird in his junior year. Especially during his stints in the middle pushing forward.

Probably will need a few preseasons in the gym but lots of talent. Great hands yesterday.

You probably wont appreciate the comparison but he always reminded me of Hird in his junior year. Especially during his stints in the middle pushing forward.

Probably will need a few preseasons in the gym but lots of talent. Great hands yesterday.
That's a really good player comparison actually. Similar floating marking style too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back