Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

His game last week was rated as the 19th best player in the Comp, also as of last week, for his age he is the 5th best rated 18 year old turning 19 this season, ahead of Mckercher.
How many 18 year olds are playing and how many have played as many games as him?
Although I assume the rankings are based on averages.

If we’re going to put our head in the sand then it’s ok. But the majority of his games so far have been below average which isn’t unexpected for a skinny 18 year old half forward in a shit side.

What is this thread.

Are we that blessed with first and second year players being our best players (sheezel, mckercher, wardlaw) that people have forgotten they're kids???

This kid looks exciting. I for one hope zurhaar leaves and we get band 1, only because it's overs and i love zurhaar. Plus we have this guy who could be the third tall zurhaar was always meant to be.

How many 18 year olds are playing and how many have played as many games as him?
Although I assume the rankings are based on averages.

If we’re going to put our head in the sand then it’s ok. But the majority of his games so far have been below average which isn’t unexpected for a skinny 18 year old half forward in a s**t side.
It’s any 2023 draftee essentially, and as we know from performances this year,
It looks like a good crop and yeah the rankings are an average.

Dodo probably already in his ear telling him its his life long dream to play with his brother. Probably also telling him to check out and miss his ice baths so he can get it done for a second rounder... and win trade period again.

Look, I have to admit I avoid * games due to outright hatred but has the bow and arrow bloke got any better? My impression of him at Port Adelaide (again, largely avoid due to severe distaste) was that he was good at being where the football wasn't. So Zane's biggest issue might be Xavier still being on a list.

Look, I have to admit I avoid * games due to outright hatred but has the bow and arrow bloke got any better? My impression of him at Port Adelaide (again, largely avoid due to severe distaste) was that he was good at being where the football wasn't. So Zane's biggest issue might be Xavier still being on a list.
Unfortunately he has been playing well enough to be entrenched in their best 23. Playing better than he was at port for sure.

Unfortunately he has been playing well enough to be entrenched in their best 23. Playing better than he was at port for sure.
That's disappointing news. Best to remember that it's Essendon and it's the start of May. Things will hopefully soon be in their rightful place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last few posts in here are pretty depressing, get a grip.. Stop mentioning *, stop mentioning
Judas and just enjoy his development years!
He's shown some impressive signs this year, without setting the world on fire, sure he could play some VFL but I'm just as comfortable with him playing senior football.

Last few posts in here are pretty depressing, get a grip.. Stop mentioning *, stop mentioning
Judas and just enjoy his development years!
He's shown some impressive signs this year, without setting the world on fire, sure he could play some VFL but I'm just as comfortable with him playing senior football.
Exactly. Senior footy is where he belongs, yes he could go back to VFL and dominate… but while we don’t have any forwards banging down the door in the VFL what’s the point of dropping him?

Exactly. Senior footy is where he belongs, yes he could go back to VFL and dominate… but while we don’t have any forwards banging down the door in the VFL what’s the point of dropping him?
I'd rather Zane go back to the VFL, take 10-15 marks, kick 3-5 goals and dominate to just get his confidence and assertiveness in his game because he is barely getting a look in at senior level...its Larkey, Bull, Curtis and when Ford play's he gets more of a bite ..all l see of Duursma in the past few games a kid struggling to find his place in the forward line as a marking forward (granted the ball doesn't come down that often and delivery is crap).

Some of you need to remember that at many clubs, first year draftees barely get a look in at the senior team. Only at North do we expect them to carry a side to victory.

He's a young man putting in some promising performances, and I don't see any reason not to be optimistic.

Let's face it, he desperately needed VFL time.
I don’t necessarily agree, paraphrasing clarko I think he said something along the lines of he values their development in the AFL over VFL buttt just in my opinion if you are going to give a young hff who likes to mark the ball at its highest point a rest, a game in Darwin sounds like the go to me, re the humid conditions on top of our dysfunctional foward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back