8-3 at the half way mark! Happy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2009
G-Borough
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the draw we were given, at the start of the year would you have taken 8-3? I myself would have taken it as i wasnt expecting much against Geelong and St Kilda and thought we would slip up against the Hawks and one game against Bulldogs.

So far we are on course for a top four finish, pushing for top two. And finally, whats with the fade outs during games?

Cost us dearly last week against the Lions and nearly cost us today. Gets me so frustrated!

Anyways good start to the year. Hopefully we push on and improve to higher levels. Go Pies!

Next 4 are 'should-wins', regardless of how you look at it. If we're anything like a top-2 team should be over the past 10 years, we have to win these next 4. 12-3 will set us up for an easy 16-6 and top 4 you would hope.

Anything below 3 would be a failure, 3 acceptable, 4 solid.

AFL Ladder
Round 11 Updated: 6/6/2010 Team P W L D F A % Pts 1. Geelong 11 9 2 0 1341 879 152.57 36 2. Collingwood 11 8 3 0 1187 928 127.92 32 3. St. Kilda 11 8 3 0 969 774 125.20 32 4. Fremantle 11 8 3 0 1203 982 122.52 32 5. Carlton 11 7 4 0 1105 950 116.33 28 6. Bulldogs 11 6 5 0 1050 881 119.19 24 7. Sydney 11 6 5 0 990 923 107.27 24 8. Hawthorn 11 5 6 0 930 960 96.88 20 9. Essendon 11 5 6 0 1005 1061 94.73 20 10. Brisbane 11 5 6 0 1002 1071 93.57 20 11. Port Adelaide 11 5 6 0 885 1039 85.19 20 12. Kangaroos 11 5 6 0 883 1165 75.80 20 13. Melbourne 11 4 7 0 867 956 90.70 16 14. West Coast 11 3 8 0 903 1081 83.54 12 15. Adelaide 11 3 8 0 832 1038 80.16 12 16. Richmond 11 1 10 0 743 1207 61.57 4

I'm happy with that.

Playing the whole game out should be the focus now.

Next 4 are 'should-wins', regardless of how you look at it. If we're anything like a top-2 team should be over the past 10 years, we have to win these next 4. 12-3 will set us up for an easy 16-6 and top 4 you would hope.

Anything below 3 would be a failure, 3 acceptable, 4 solid.

Agree. Not because we need to prove ourselves to anyone, but to build that inner confidence that we can beat anyone.

Dees
*midyear break*
Swans (Sydney)
Eagles
Port (AAMI)

Must win these 4. Boys are looking tired and just need to get a win next week and get to the midyear break at 9-3.

Should be 9 & 2, maybe even 10 & 1

Poor kicking have cost us at least 1 win, the Geelong one maybe as well.

It costs teams grand finals, we can't be poor in front of goals if we want to win.

We were poor last week.

Should be 9 & 2, maybe even 10 & 1

Poor kicking have cost us at least 1 win, the Geelong one maybe as well.

It costs teams grand finals, we can't be poor in front of goals if we want to win.

We were poor last week.

Could say we should be 7-4 too; we should've lost to Melbourne.

I'd say where we're at is about right now. Didn't deserve to beat Geelong in any way really.

Very happy considering that of those 11 games 7 of them have been against fellow top 8 teams. Also yet to play one of the bottom 3 teams so very happy with 8-3. Hopefully push for a top 2 and be cherry ripe for finals.
I believe we have an easier run home then we have had so far we there are no excuses not to capitalise on our good start and at the very least make top 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the next 11 games, I would group them:

Group 1: St.Kilda, Geelong - Need to win one of these games to give ourselves belief that we can match it with the top teams

Group 2: Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn - Traditional blockbuster games, look to win 3 however these 3 sides are dangerous.

Group 3: Melbourne, Sydney, WC, Port, Richmond, Adelaide. Should win all 6 but a few of those teams especially Swans in Syd and Port in Adelaide are danger games.

If we are the premiership threat we think we are, we will win 8 of our remaining 11 games, minimum.

Leaving us on 16-6 at seasons end, should see us finish top 4 comfortably.

I would have been satisfied with a 2-2 start with possible losses to St Kilda and Hawthorn (a bogey side in recent years), with anything better than that a bonus. So 8-3 is a really good solid platform from which to launch an assault on the top four and eventually September.

I am "happyish" because we are well enough placed to challange but this year has to be about flags or we'll never actually set our sights high enough. So my happyness is tempered until we win a flag. If we repeat 8/3 for the next 11 weeks it still comes down to the month of September. I am sick of being happy with credible H&A results.

I'm happy. We've taken a significant step forward despite our taxing draw. I still think we have a lot of players who can improve, and we've got to work out how to maintain the rage for a whole game.

Have to agree Snag.
Pre-season, when the draw was announced few would have been game to predict 8-3.
Even the round 1 win was a 50-50 at best.
Some sides who would have been considered "bogey" sides have been overcome, some have not. You can argue that some are not the force they were last year, but you can't argue that about Hawthorn or Carltoon.
Both sides had average years really last season but Carlton flogged us and the Hawks were touted as the side we could not match it with.

We had very close games v the Dogs over the last few seasons, losing and winning but always close and now have beaten them twice in this season, no matter the method. Once a side is beaten it seems that no credence is given Collingwood, as if they have somehow gone backwards, we could not have improved. You see it all the time with the trolls and negative anti-Collingwood members.
The simple fact we have beaten Hawthorn once and the Dogs twice is an improvement, never mind ladder position. Carlton is worth two wins if you are a real Pies supporter.
No-one gives a rats arse how our potential opposition in the final 4 win, that they win is all that matters.
Our wins are always

Collingwood have never had trouble winning the walk-overs, it's the big comebacks and the easy games we've struggled with in H&A.

The Saints loss was our own fault because self-belief issues on top of the "aura" of St Kilda (now shattered) from last year made us a shivering inaccurate bundle of nerves. The Ball issue also had a part to play.

I'll tip us to beat the Saints in round 16.

Geelong, well I think we only have to have the game to beat Geelong once this year. We need to be able to beat them for three quarters in the next meeting although a win would be great so long as we do it the hard way.

I don't see any other side holding any great mystery, which is not say we won't or can't lose to any side.

Half way through the year and 2nd on the ladder due only to a loss to the best side in the last 7 years, a side which did it tough this weekend against a side sitting in 14th.
Small injury list and with most of the list up and about.

I reckon we are beautifully positions for the second half, better than any time since 2002.

I wouldn't be another sides supporter for quids.

Go Pies.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Couldn't have asked for much more considering who we have played thus far. We would have gladly taken this kind of start before the season started.

We have yet to play teams such as WCE, Rich, Adel and Port yet too.

We have set up our second half of the season beautifully so far.

With the draw we were given, at the start of the year would you have taken 8-3?
There is one more week to go before the bye, and it will be good if we are 9 wins and 3 losses at that time.
And finally, whats with the fade outs during games?
It's only happened in the past three weeks, and that's partly because the opposition has been desperate in each of those matches, and also because Collingwood has failed to stick to structures in that time. It's okay to know that work still needs to be done at this time of the season instead of in September though.

I'd be happier if the 3 losses didn't happen the way they did.

We were balls deep in the game for two of those losses for three quarters, and one of them for all but the last minutes.

How would you prefer to lose? 10 goal hiding, never in with a chance?

I'd rather know all we need is to finish the match against those sides and we are a chance than be blown away from beginning to end. It is more likely to be rectified than if you are looking at the game and saying 'we were beaten all over the park all day, where do we begin?'

I think some of you guys over analyse and look at football like it is a romance novel or something :rolleyes:

I'd be happier if the 3 losses didn't happen the way they did.

spot on. i am thrilled with being 8-3 at half way, however i have indifferent feeligs about our three losses.

im not disheartened by the losses, however i am disappointed. mainly because the teams we lost to didnt "win" these games in my opinion...we "lost" them.

saints - 4.17 (inaccuracy killed us)
cats - (never gave our forwards a chance with poor bombs into F50, final margin didnt reflect difference between us and cats IMO)
lions - should have won this one.

having said that, maybe we needed losses to motivate us into the next games.

Remove this Banner Ad

8-3 at the half way mark! Happy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back