Toast Round 8 = Carlton 79-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly Carlton are now the "Prince Harry of close wins"

giphy.gif

We had 26 more inside 50s so really we should of won easily. They cant even whinge properly anymore the poor fools
  • WHE's near miss after his 1st goal in Q4
  • Checkers' ever-so-slightly-too-far pass ahead of Bobby Hill
  • Crispy's juuuuuust off-target snap from a stoppage

Not to mention numerous other opportunities. Felt like we were a chance to be 4-5 goals ahead in reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed it on the ground and then noticed it even further upon watching the replay (multiple times), but we seem to have a VERY specific role for Nobes in that he's almost permanently stuck as the "man in the middle" or the link up or even the kick inside 50 guy.

Surprised I'm yet to see any of the footy shows mention it. It seemed very obvious to me

The number of times we just forced our way into the middle via Noble was borderline arrogance lol. I liked it.

I noticed it on the ground and then noticed it even further upon watching the replay (multiple times), but we seem to have a VERY specific role for Nobes in that he's almost permanently stuck as the "man in the middle" or the link up or even the kick inside 50 guy.

Surprised I'm yet to see any of the footy shows mention it. It seemed very obvious to me

The number of times we just forced our way into the middle via Noble was borderline arrogance lol. I liked it.

Absolutely that was the case. Just look at where he stands on the Nick Daicos goal with a minute to go. That was Nick’s role in the first half of last season.

Charlie will be a player in time, but in his 3 games so far we've gone 0-3 and made Jesse Hogan, Logan McDonald and Ben King look like '90s Wayne Carey.

We're unbeaten with Frampton in the team, he's acquitted himself well even when players like McKay have had the upper hand (although three of his goals were not Billy's fault), and in the meantime he's also done demolition jobs on Joey D and the entire Hawks tall forward brigade to get us the win in tight games.

He's not perfect, but Framps has been exceptional value this season.

I haven't watched the full replay yet, but I did notice first from ANZAC Day and more often on Friday night's game that the team is adopting a slow forward entry tactic which has worked very well for us. Much slower movement, very particular with the target chosen and more often than not ends up in a forward getting a hit-up and shot on goal.

Seems to be our trajectory now - we didn't see the manic run, carry and pass in waves at the start of the season (it's back tho baby) and I do wonder if that's because they hadn't yet worked out when to pull the trigger and when to go slow. Seems like this tweaked game plan has finally started to gel.

Has anyone else noted similar tactical changes?

Sir Frampton had some good moments I thought. Highlights: being part of the gang tackle with Maynard on Curnow that lead to Shoota's goal just before half-time. And winning that aerial wing contest against Curnow in the last, then wheeling around him like he wasn't there... delicious.
I thought his best play was giving it to Owies after his dive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back