Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure who the backline coach is but it would be brilliant if we were somehow able to get Hodge on board, even for a preseason, to do some assistant coaching work. He's been away from clubland for a while now and might be keen to dip his toes in. Show him the money.
Lives in Brisbane.

If we wanted a tackling coach, go and get one of the NRL champions, Cameron Smith would do wonders both from a tackling perspective and also leadership

We never steer out of our lane nowadays
AFL does not want tackles so why bother ? An NRL tackle coach would only manage to get our blokes suspended :cool:
I would say that our efforts to tackle on Friday where pretty bad.

They were also willing to go 0-5 , cop the heat to lock in on a method and plan.

The day we go 0-5 is the day we sack the coach , board and probably burn the hangar down... It's not an accepted thing out our way, we preach hope, we wallpaper over cracks to force wins, that's our way
Chances are, we're about to go 0-5 - maybe worse than that, just not at the start of the season.

I'm not sure it's true that Essendon fans necessarily want to rebuild and stay in the 8, is it?

Most I've spoken to over the past ten years, and a lot on here, have actually been frustrated with the club's continual half half approach, finishing 8th-11th and never actually rebuilding but also not delivering any results.

Maybe the Facebook and Cheer Squad types (who I assume are one and the same) are more impatient, I'm not sure.

That we don’t like being told things will take a long time.

Don’t think I agree with this. We still had crowds the year of/after the saga. We still had fans going to cheer on a 40 year old Jamar and Jy Simpkin.

If we’re going in with the likes of Goldy, Lav, Heppell, Kelly, etc., we should be expecting to win.

The club can’t have it both ways. We’ve been older than Sydney and Carlton, the clear best two teams in the comp, when we’ve played them. You don’t get to be older than the top 2 teams and then say we’re at the beginning of an 8 year rebuild.

Don’t think I agree with this. We still had crowds the year of/after the saga. We still had fans going to cheer on a 40 year old Jamar and Jy Simpkin.

If we’re going in with the likes of Goldy, Lav, Heppell, Kelly, etc., we should be expecting to win.

The club can’t have it both ways. We’ve been older than Sydney and Carlton, the clear best two teams in the comp, when we’ve played them. You don’t get to be older than the top 2 teams and then say we’re at the beginning of an 8 year rebuild.
You do if those older players are not a good as the youth at other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve named 4 average players and our youngsters can’t even force them out of the team. We should not be expecting anything. Especially if you just look at how we performed last season.

If you do that, you might enjoy the season a bit more. We aren’t ready for top 4 but we have made improvements.

Also, again, crowds showing up doesn’t mean anything. It’s great that we are loyal but it’s totally insignificant to what we are talking about.

Well then it’s not a rebuild
Why can you not rebuild with both ? Why is it you have to be youth or nothing ? I would not argue we have not totally got the balance right but the best rebuilds have been based around having a good mix. You can do a rebuild by bringing in 24-28 year old players or playin a few veterans for an extra year . I know you go on about not playing recent draftees but there has been reasons.
They where keen to give Tsatas a go early . If his kicking was even 50% better he would have got more games even if he was not in the prime position.
Hobbs got injured and is now pushing to get back.
Caddy had some early set backs but once he strung 3 good VFL games together he got in.
Lual is not ready.
Alwyn has had some games but is still not physically ready and is better served not having long runs at AFL level.
Jayden is only now getting to the level of effort needed to get a look in.
Menzie is actually still young.
Baldwin injured.
Wanganeen injured to start the season.
Bryan is one you could make an argument for getting more games but his physical efforts around the ground are not great.
Roberts could also maybe have got a game but I know they have been honing the defensive side.
Hayes should have played a couple of games.
Visentini is not ready.
The three oldest players on the list are looking like they will go at the end of the year making String at 30 the oldest player if he stays.

Most I've spoken to over the past ten years, and a lot on here, have actually been frustrated with the club's continual half half approach, finishing 8th-11th and never actually rebuilding but also not delivering any results.

That’s fine and I hear the same but obviously there are a lot of supporters who want success sooner rather than later. You can find those comments anywhere. They literally express that they are owed success. That is not a patient supporter.

The reason we were given was that at the time we were bereft of experience and leadership. That was true and is important for a rebuilding side.

This was implied to be the main reason for keeping Heppell, and support for Draper was the main reason for bringing in Goldy. If Phillips hadn't retired, we may not have brought Goldy in as a player. I think at the time they were astute for the list. A year on, I don't think we need Heppell's leadership; Merrett has it in spades and others like Caldwell and Durham are demonstrating it through their actions.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have a couple of older players to steady the ship. When Scott got to the end of his first season with us, that was what he recognised we needed, and we did.

If we had none, we'd have consigned ourselves to the bottom 4 wilderness like North.

You’ve named 4 average players and our youngsters can’t even force them out of the team. We should not be expecting anything. Especially if you just look at how we performed last season.

If you do that, you might enjoy the season a bit more. We aren’t ready for top 4 but we have made improvements.

Also, again, crowds showing up doesn’t mean anything. It’s great that we are loyal but it’s totally insignificant to what we are talking about.

That’s the problem - the younger guys are outperforming them, they’re just not getting rewarded.

If we’re not ready for top 4, that’s fine - but why are we playing sides older than the top 2 teams? What are we getting out of that?

Why can you not rebuild with both ? Why is it you have to be youth or nothing ? I would not argue we have not totally got the balance right but the best rebuilds have been based around having a good mix. You can do a rebuild by bringing in 24-28 year old players or playin a few veterans for an extra year . I know you go on about not playing recent draftees but there has been reasons.
They where keen to give Tsatas a go early . If his kicking was even 50% better he would have got more games even if he was not in the prime position.
Hobbs got injured and is now pushing to get back.
Caddy had some early set backs but once he strung 3 good VFL games together he got in.
Lual is not ready.
Alwyn has had some games but is still not physically ready and is better served not having long runs at AFL level.
Jayden is only now getting to the level of effort needed to get a look in.
Menzie is actually still young.
Baldwin injured.
Wanganeen injured to start the season.
Bryan is one you could make an argument for getting more games but his physical efforts around the ground are not great.
Roberts could also maybe have got a game but I know they have been honing the defensive side.
Hayes should have played a couple of games.
Visentini is not ready.
The three oldest players on the list are looking like they will go at the end of the year making String at 30 the oldest player if he stays.

We 100% need both - but there’s too much at the moment.

If we drop Goldy, Heppell, Kelly and Lav - who are not performing to AFL level - we still have:

Def: McKay (26)
McGrath (26 - VC)
Redman (27)

Mid: Shiel (31)
Merrett (28 - C)

Forward: Wright (27)
Langford (27)
Stringer (30)

I get that you need some older guys, but some of them are absolutely stinking it up. Right now at least, those guys aren’t playing like leaders at all. I loved the Goldy pick up at the time - and still think it’s been a success - but I can’t see how anyone can think he’s helping us right now. Scott being too afraid/stubborn/whatever the case may be is hurting the team

We 100% need both - but there’s too much at the moment.

If we drop Goldy, Heppell, Kelly and Lav - who are not performing to AFL level - we still have:

Def: McKay (26)
McGrath (26 - VC)
Redman (27)

Mid: Shiel (31)
Merrett (28 - C)

Forward: Wright (27)
Langford (27)
Stringer (30)

I get that you need some older guys, but some of them are absolutely stinking it up. Right now at least, those guys aren’t playing like leaders at all. I loved the Goldy pick up at the time - and still think it’s been a success - but I can’t see how anyone can think he’s helping us right now. Scott being too afraid/stubborn/whatever the case may be is hurting the team
Which players, over 27, would you have dropped from the weekend?

The reason we were given was that at the time we were bereft of experience and leadership. That was true and is important for a rebuilding side.

This was implied to be the main reason for keeping Heppell, and support for Draper was the main reason for bringing in Goldy. If Phillips hadn't retired, we may not have brought Goldy in as a player. I think at the time they were astute for the list. A year on, I don't think we need Heppell's leadership; Merrett has it in spades and others like Caldwell and Durham are demonstrating it through their actions.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have a couple of older players to steady the ship. When Scott got to the end of his first season with us, that was what he recognised we needed, and we did.

If we had none, we'd have consigned ourselves to the bottom 4 wilderness like North.

Yep, all fair - I agree with most of this - just your last statement - if you mean ALL the older guys, I agree.

And I’m not suggesting dropping all the older guys - just the ones that aren’t performing. Shiel is in form - absolutely keep him in. Goldy had 5 handballs, 0 kicks and 0 marks. Drop him. We gain nothing from playing him over Bryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back