Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly at this stage im much more likely to buy a devils membership
before a bombers again.

My own countdown clock is will the devils play a afl game before dodo and sheedy are no longer involved at essendon.

Who do we want as devils coach?
Sheeds did a great inaugural coach of expansion club with GWS… think he’s got a solid list development guy here could bring with him.

We 100% need both - but there’s too much at the moment.

If we drop Goldy, Heppell, Kelly and Lav - who are not performing to AFL level - we still have:

Def: McKay (26)
McGrath (26 - VC)
Redman (27)

Mid: Shiel (31)
Merrett (28 - C)

Forward: Wright (27)
Langford (27)
Stringer (30)

I get that you need some older guys, but some of them are absolutely stinking it up. Right now at least, those guys aren’t playing like leaders at all. I loved the Goldy pick up at the time - and still think it’s been a success - but I can’t see how anyone can think he’s helping us right now. Scott being too afraid/stubborn/whatever the case may be is hurting the team
I think you have been too hard on Laverde. He may not be the future but he has done some really good jobs this year and plays harder than most.

Posting this because when we lose, as we have again tonight, I see a lot of gross stuff written about the players.

I know we've been doing circle work for 20 years. That's frustrating. I also feel frustrated.

Some of us need to seriously check ourselves though.

1. We've had one full pre-season under Brad Scott. We looked like defence kings earlier on in the season and the season has found us out. Of course. It will take more than one pre-season to nail this into a four quarter defensive effort, let alone a full season effort.

2. Culture change will take time and include turning over much more of the list. It's worth reminding ourselves that we still have remnants of post-saga "she'll be right" attitudes and club nepotism that hold us back from making the cuts and sacrifices that are needed to operate as a professional outfit. The boys only just ditched Ibiza for training - once. Good. They need to do it again.

3. This list is half-arsed and Brad knows it. It won't be turned over over night. And even when it is we'll need to iron out issues. It's the reality. We have passengers who we need to start getting rid of, but we can't do it in one fell swoop. It will also take time.

4. In the long run, this is not on the players. Someone recruited them. Yelling at them that they are a disgrace and pathetic and whatever else does nothing to support them to be better. It just makes those of us who do no better than Carlton supporters. They have their limitations. That's it. They will be delisted.

Scott has come in and realised this will be a slow burn because our issues are both cultural and structural as a club and as a team. He told us - 8 years.

I'd prefer to take stock of what I've seen tonight and try to see the long term changes and adjustments that need to be made. Caddy helped drag us back into the game tonight in, what, his third game?
Duz and Calders have been a joy every week this season. We have a Captain who wills us home now. Edge is a real possibility. We're developing it but we can do it. You've all seen it. But we will all need to be patient.

I'm willing to give Brad his 8 years. I'm looking forward to seeing how he can transform us. There will be mistakes - he's human - but we've shown more progress this season than in the last decade.

Everyone just needs to calm down.

Posts like this are clockwork for us, see a version of this post every year. It's why the fans are to blame as well.

Coming up to 25 years of being nowhere, at least another 5-10 away from challenging and the first thing we get is

"Calm down, she'll be right, keep giving them your money"

Pathetic post representative of a mediocre club supported by fans that are content enough when the vague idea of being successful sometime into the future.

Time to face reality: we are shit, we haven't done enough to stop being shit, so we will continue to be shit.

Merrett, Durham, Martin, Duursma and Caldwell would be my untouchables.

Caddy, Ridley(becoming too injury-prone)are needing godfather offers.

Practically all others would be at the trade table.

Merrett, Durham, Martin, Duursma and Caldwell would be my untouchables.

Caddy, Ridley(becoming too injury-prone)are needing godfather offers.

Practically all others would be at the trade table.

Merrett, Caddy only - everyone else can go if the price is right.

But there's no point turning over a list until the right management is at the club and currently they're letting dodoro dictate what his job will be.

The winning culture isn't there, can't blame the players for that.

Yeah I won’t be here for another 5-6 years of this shit. The foundation of the club is completely destroyed. You will get to a point where the club doesn’t mean enough for success to feel good. That’s how far they have fallen.

They really thought they could rely on the supporters “loving” the football club, but you get to a point where you just don’t give a shit anymore win or lose.

When I think of Essendon, it’s just a negative feeling. Lately just apathy. A shit club devoid of any real joy with no direction.

There’s only a handful of players even worth fighting to keep. That’s how bad the state and development of the list is. And Tasmania is coming soon so it’ll be more compromised drafts.

Years and timeframes are pointless.
It's simple, club still won't make the decisions it needs to. Day 0 starts from the say sheedy, dodo, heppel and co are gone.

Heppel no faults of his own. At the moment we are not even at scratch. Window is getting smaller as we need to grow up as a club before tassie arrives.

So give me 3 years post that decision. The club knows most will keep paying and supporting so y would they make the decision.

Success is secondary to the club keeping old heads and the coteries appeased.

Years and timeframes are pointless.
It's simple, club still won't make the decisions it needs to. Day 0 starts from the say sheedy, dodo, heppel and co are gone.

Heppel no faults of his own. At the moment we are not even at scratch. Window is getting smaller as we need to grow up as a club before tassie arrives.

So give me 3 years post that decision. The club knows most will keep paying and supporting so y would they make the decision.

Success is secondary to the club keeping old heads and the coteries appeased.
Agreed. It's interesting how quiet the media has been since Barham told us Dodo has carte blanche to determine his own future. They should be riding statement so hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever the opinion is about the coach we are really at stage one simply because 90% of the list pre dates nearly all of the current heads of football.
Now argument’s could be made around the long contracts given to Parish / McGrath / Redman as poor choices but the simple fact is we have got nothing free m our recent top 10 picks .
One reason the Hawks are zooming back up after starting their build at the end of 2020 like us is their recruiting department has been much better. They nailed a few picks at the end of Wright’s run as list manager and they have nailed their picks in the to 40 or so in the last few years other than DGB .
We have a bunch of top end picks with question marks or injuries and a lot of young blokes not physically ready for week in and week out AFL football.
I think we need to replace RFK as well . He is part of the old system. Tsatas was his baby.

Hunter - delist Baldwin - delist Heppell - retire
Goldy - retire Weideman - delist Stringer - trade
Wright- trade Wanganeen - delist. J.Davey - delist
Reid - delist Draper - trade
Also get rid of the little children who sooked it up when they got baked by coaching staff. If it’s true that they have cracked it.
Obviously we can’t clear out so many in one hit, but there are quite a few players on this list who have done nothing to show they are AFL worthy.

Hunter - delist Baldwin - delist Heppell - retire
Goldy - retire Weideman - delist Stringer - trade
Wright- trade Wanganeen - delist. J.Davey - delist
Reid - delist Draper - trade
Also get rid of the little children who sooked it up when they got baked by coaching staff. If it’s true that they have cracked it.
Obviously we can’t clear out so many in one hit, but there are quite a few players on this list who have done nothing to show they are AFL worthy.
Care to elaborate?
Source?

How many players are we talking about here?
Not sure. The gist of the comments where there was some players who did not like the brutal review of the Crows game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 8 Year Forecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back