88,115 and it was "Sold Out" , All except for the top of the Ponsford Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot more people get locked out of Skilled Stadium and Etihad Stadium every year than at the MCG.
Exactly.

Tickets to the general public only sold out on Friday anyway. If you wanted to go, you could have gone.

What a boring topic.

A few once a year theatre goers missed out on a game of football. Who cares. If they are really keen on going to the footy they'd be there every week.

Couldn't agree more. Have never not been able to get tickets to a game I've wanted to go to - one of the benefits of being a member of my club I guess. That, and thinking more than a few days in advance if Im attending a game that has a large expected attendance.

Dont agree with these figures. There were at least 5000 spare seats in the MCC Members area.

I was only talking about what is in that photo (which itself, is referred to in the topic heading.) The photo showed, as I said, “that along the top [deck] of the Ponsford Stand there were 2,000 – 3,000 unused seats.” Had that photo shown there were 5,000 unused seats, there would have been no-one in five bays of the top level of the Stand, which clearly wasn’t the case.

I never referred to an actual attendance within the MCC Reserve and I never said there were not 5,000 spare seats, I just asked (given the actual attendance and looking at the photo) “where were the other 9 or 10 thousand empty spots?”

Even if that photo shows that there were 5,000 spare seats in the MCC, it means that there were 7,000 unused spots elsewhere in the stadium. Give us a solution for filling those, as well.

As an AFL member I had to pay a $6 booking fee to reserve a seat so why cant the MCC members do the same. A cut out time could apply and then tickets sold to the general public.

This would then allowed an extra 5000 to attend on Friday night and make it a real full house.

A real full house would have had just on 100,000, not 93,000.

In my second post in this thread (post #33) I made the point that the MCC pre-reserve half their Reserve for the Grand Final and they are “concerned about people who get a seat and then don’t turn up.” As such they have put in place a system to reduce this happening. The AFL and the Clubs don’t display the same concern and therefore do nothing. But your solution is to have the MCC Members pay extra, deal with a booking agency, etc, and have the AFL do nothing about getting those other seven thousand or more tickets to be actually used. As I said in that second post “What wrong have the [MCC] attendees done that makes them rewarded in this way?”

Like you I am an AFL Member, and one thing I don’t like is the AFL telling me a game is Reserve on Demand. This is because the announcement creates a pre-game demand which significantly increases the chance that there’ll then be an AFL Membership sell-out. Then, on the day/night I look around and see unused seats in all over the Reserve. Why can’t the AFL Membership Department get concerned about that, in the way that the MCC is concerned? And I’ll point out that AFL Members are not told that any unbooked seats (at a certain deadline) will be made available to the anyone else. They get told that those spots will be available (to AFL Members only) on a walk-up basis.

As I have also said in this thread “Had [Friday’s] match had large sections of the non MCC stands available for walk-up only I imagine the MCC would have opened up their stand, because there would have been a lot of people outside the ground trying to get in.” If I am reading dave_27’s post (#43) correctly this happened on Saturday night and happens at other times during the year.

I think that making the MCC pre-book would lead to the situation that occurs elsewhere. A demand will be created which will lead to seats being booked but not used. But it will be of the two empty seats in this row, three in that row, as occurs all over the rest of the ground. And therefore it won’t be as noticeable and everyone here will display as much concern as they do about the thousands of unused spots elsewhere in the stadium. Which, I’ve observed here, is a display of no concern.

Fill up those seats in the outer and then the MCC may come to the party. But until you don’t even try to do something about those 7,000+ empty spots I think it is extremely rich asking the MCC to change their system.

Solution is simple: Make it that MCC members have until Wednesday evening to register their intent to attend/acquire tickets otherwise remaining tickets are released for sale to general public.

It’s not that simple.

Why Wednesday? It wasn’t until Friday that the AFL Members and the Outer allocation of seats were sold out (though standing room was still available for Coll and Gee-17 members.)

And I notice that AFL Members and Club members are not given any such deadline. Shouldn’t what’s good for the goose also be good for the gander?

But in a game that is sold out they should be sold to people who would otherwise miss out.

I agree, which makes me wonder why the AFL and the footy clubs sold 7,000+ tickets to people who didn’t attend.

There's nothing wrong with the system.

There is a problem with the system. But so many here take a superficial and inconsistent look at the issue, and suggest a solution which wouldn’t make a dent or, at best, provide a minimal dent, at getting the attendance to be the close to capacity; there’d still be a sell-out and there’d still be lost of unused seats.

be fair, it's only the seat they're selling after all.

If you can't be there then give it to someone else. It isn't hard after quarter time to let people in or stop people from going in. That is the price you pay for your privilege. Be on time or knock it off. (at your own discretion)

The MCC is a crock, when i actually sat down and realised why i was paying the money to have to comply with a dress code at an AFL game where everyone wants to display thier club colors and the MCC makes it very hard to do

If you find it unreasonable to wear a collar, you're probably too bogan for the MCC anyway.

You're allowed to wear footy jumpers, scarves - whatever the hell you want, as long as you have a collar and shoes. Surely that's not too much to ask of patrons? :rolleyes:

Solution is simple: Make it that MCC members have until Wednesday evening to register their intent to attend/acquire tickets otherwise remaining tickets are released for sale to general public.
i think the solution is ALOT more simple than that. why dont you just buy tickets when they are released? will save you alot of heart ache

The MCC is a crock, when i actually sat down and realised why i was paying the money to have to comply with a dress code at an AFL game where everyone wants to display thier club colors and the MCC makes it very hard to do, and the fact i was living in traralgon at the time and not attending as many games as i would like to......i weighed up the benefits of being a MCC member and could count very few!
Care to explain?

everyone in the mcc is at the bar, cant drink in seats...

besides, i dont want to actually sit NEXT to someone, i need my buffer, im not an animal...

i also need a seat in front so i can rest my legs...

Care to explain?

the guy is smoking crack...

you can wear pretty much whatever you want, as long as you have a collared shirt on underneath...

you cant rock up in your pies jumper and a t-shirt... but you can wear your club's jumper so long as you have a shirt on...

scarves, flags and what not are fine...

no safari suits in the long room...

seriously, they wont let you in...

i found out the hard way...

rgN3006_safari_narrowweb__300x726,0.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were you bullied at school ?

Do you bully at your work ?

Do you bully people over the age of 15 who chose to wear a replica team jumper ?

No way I would bully someone who may stand up to me.
:confused:

Sorry if I hurt your feelings mate.

Just saying, would not being able to pretend you are a player ruin your football experience?

I don't think so, wearing a shirt is not that great a sacrifice.

It's probably been posted but do people actually realise that if it looks like the MCC won't be filled up that they actually open up the top part of the MCC stand as shown in the picture to the general public? Most games anyway, probably not this one as there was a chance it could have gone close to capacity.

The MCC has 100k members for what 24k seats. At anytime the full 100k members could turn up at the game therefore they are running a probability calculation to work out the number of members that will turn up. The final between Collingwood and Geelong resulted in a lock out of members they don’t want this to occur again and therefore would rather run at a lower capacity than turn away members.

If you want to work out the probability of filling out the members reserve each week and taking into account previous crowds at Collingwood vs Geelong games you would think a large crowd was pretty likely.

The value in an MCC membership comes from being able to walk up to as many games during the year as you like including finals and the Grand Final (Your membership is almost paid for by seeing your team play in a finals series) you can then attend cricket games and you get priority tickets to other sporting events. If you attend one game per year then the membership is not worth it but as a Collingwood member you can see 14 games at the MCG plus finals nothing better than that.

When I head to the footy, I'll often not leave the Frank Grey Smith bar until late in the third term (after half time). But I'm there.

Or do I not count, because I'm not in my seat when you look around the ground and get angry about the exclusiveness of the MCC, which is not actually particularly exclusive?

Hey, when you wear your footy jumper, who do you pretend you are?

Do you Nazi around telling people that you feel insecure that people , adults or children are showing support for their team by wearing a team jumper ?

Are you making the trip to South Africa to impose you insecure views on all the World Cup teams supporters , who will proudly wear the jumper of their National team ?

What does it feel like to bully people because you are so insecure ???

Everyone was advised early in the week that the game would sell out, and everybody who wanted to go had up until Friday lunchtime to buy a ticket before it was sold out.

Doesn't look great having a section of empty seats, but it happens everywhere. I went to Etihad one day when Essendon played, got sold a standing room ticket as all the seats had gone yet the crowd was only 44,000...Essendon reserved seat holders, the medallion clubs and access ones hadn't turned up. There were patches of empty seats everywhere. Like MCC members, they pay for them, its their right to turn up if they please.

Remove this Banner Ad

88,115 and it was "Sold Out" , All except for the top of the Ponsford Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back