88,115 and it was "Sold Out" , All except for the top of the Ponsford Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

People just have to except that the G is a 55,000 seat ground as far as us normal folk are concerned. Once you take out AFL and MCC thats whats left.

They should just give the attendance based on that and not include the MCC and AFL members sections.

Exactly, you then take out reserved club members seats and there are not that many seats that go on sale for the general public for these games.

One solution is for the MCC to designate 6 games a year as reserved seat games (ANZAC Day, GF, PF and a couple of big H&A games) which is hardly an imposte on a MCC members who have access to 40 plus games a year.

DST
:D

i went to the match to find out as a collingwood member i only get standing room, so went home and watched it on tv.

What really shits me about all this talking to the steward, the match was fully sold out at lunch time and the club did not make an adequate attempt to tell people to reserve a seat.

there have been plenty of packed games (carlton) where general admin gets a seat, a simple SMS would have sufficed to say the seats have to be removed. And what really rubs me about this, the club sent me 2 sms's this week about their sale in the club store.

i went to the match to find out as a collingwood member i only get standing room, so went home and watched it on tv.

What really shits me about all this talking to the steward, the match was fully sold out at lunch time and the club did not make an adequate attempt to tell people to reserve a seat.

there have been plenty of packed games (carlton) where general admin gets a seat, a simple SMS would have sufficed to say the seats have to be removed. And what really rubs me about this, the club sent me 2 sms's this week about their sale in the club store.

Both the AFL and Collingwood websites had info during the week notifying members that limted seating was available and unlikely any would be left on game day. They clearly stated to expect standing room only on match day. Emails were also sent out to people on the emailing list with this info.

Perhaps that's an indication that they don't sell enough MCC memberships. Given there's a 500 year waiting list, why don't they sell 5 or 10,000 more? :confused:
I believe there's already a large number of full MCC members. The problem is that a large proportion of them aren't particularly interested in football, or even cricket! They keep their membership anyway, as they might go to an occasional game and it'd disappoint their parents if they gave it up. Being an MCC member is a badge of honour to some people. People nominate their children to be put on the waiting list as soon as they're born, which is why it's so hard to get in and there's a massive waiting list.

I believe there's already a large number of full MCC members. The problem is that a large proportion of them aren't particularly interested in football, or even cricket! They keep their membership anyway, as they might go to an occasional game and it'd disappoint their parents if they gave it up. Being an MCC member is a badge of honour to some people. People nominate their children to be put on the waiting list as soon as they're born, which is why it's so hard to get in and there's a massive waiting list.

I'm sure there are heaps of them already, but given pretty much every event held at the ground has a heap of empty seats in the MCC, that's a damn good indication that they aren't selling enough.
Perhaps sell 10,000 special type memberships that don't allow entry to the major events like grand finals and boxing day.

I think its time for the MCG to request MCC members to register their attendance in advance for high-attendance games, if there remain seats unallocated with three days to go, open them up for general attendance.
Having thousands of empty seats at these games - seats which would easily be filled up if they were made available - just diminishes their brand IMHO. Maybe not for the MCC members, but in the eyes of the general public. Maybe the MCG has to decide what's more important to them.
What would making the MCC pre-book actually achieve?

Would there be a pre-booking fee imposed on the MCC Members? If so, that is unfair on those who do attend. Why should they have to pay so that someone else’s brand doesn’t appear to be diminished? What wrong have the attendees done that makes them rewarded in this way?

If there is no pre-booking fee all that would happen is that the whole MCC Members’ Reserve would be fully pre-booked, but there’d still be empty seats. The only difference your solution would cause is that the empty seats in the MCC section would be of the two empty seats in this row, three in that row, variety, rather than the large block on the top level. After all, this happens, in the thousands, in the non MCC sections of the ground when there is a sell-out.

As Collingwood 4 eternity’s second photo shows, there were not 11+ thousand empty spots in the MCC Members Reserve last night.
Like I said earlier in this thread it’s not that simple an issue and therefore there is no simple answer. Don’t just ask the MCC to change their ways, also ask the AFL and Clubs to do something about what they do to cause empty seats while there are House Full signs.

Had yesterday's match had large sections of the non-MCC stands available only for walk-up I imagine the MCC would have opened up their stand, because there would have been a lot of people outside the ground trying to get in. With the fully-reserved, sold-out matches those people don't try to get in, because the AFL tells them not to bother trying. It's the AFL's policy that saw many thousands of empty seats in the general public area.

Anyone who pre-booked a ticket and didn’t attend denied someone entry and yet people like to just point to the MCC.

For the Grand Final the MCC pre-reserves just over half their Reserve, with tickets issued via a ballot. They’ve been concerned about people who get a seat and then don’t turn up. As a result in recent years they’ve introduced a system which means that if you got a seat in the ballot and it doesn’t get used you get excluded from the following year’s ballot. (They have a system in place where you can advise the Club that you’ve given the seat to another member.) Perhaps the AFL and the Football Clubs should introduce something similar. Have a ticket to yesterday’s match and didn’t attend: you can’t get access next time your club is playing in a fully-ticketed match. Have a ticket to the ANZAC Day match which didn’t get used: you can’t get access next year (or the next time your club is the home team on the ANZAC Day match.)
The MCC atm is costing up to 5,000 to miss out on watching these big matches. The current arrangements where the MCC members get this vast seat allocation for them to just rock up to, even when the rest of the ground is selling out, is rubbish. Even Club social club members, who pay about the same as an MCC member, have to pre-purchase to guarantee getting in.
Yes, but, the MCC has never asked the AFL to make the outer fully-ticketed. Therefore MCC members have never told those Social Club members to spend money pre-purchasing those tickets. But it seems okay for others to tell the MCC Members to spend money. The MCC may be “costing up to 5,000 to miss out on watching these big matches” but so is the AFL’s policy of fully-ticketing matches. Or, are you denying that there were many thousands of empty seats in the general public area.

There's nothing wrong with the system.

It's been like this for years and we see the same sooky la la threads after every big game.

You'll be over it in a couple of days.

There is a reason why the waiting list is 20+ years long. They give a good deal. Maybe, to solve this problem, they should open up another catagory of membership (that you get before restricted) that gives access to home and away matches and such. Even if they have to book every time they go, so you can cap them and there is always enough left over for real members

Wow i so didn't read this when i wrote my last post :eek:

Think you will find that the rest of the people missing out of absolute capacity would be people that bought tickets and then for whatever reason didn't go and members with reserve seats that didn't go.

I remember a lot of years ago I went to a hawks game at the SCG and was in the Swans members as they have a scheme were if you have a seat and can't go, you can let the club (or someone) know and they sell your seat. I think the guy next too me said that if their seat is sold like that during the year, they get gift vouchers or something at the end.

Wonder if the melbourne based clubs should do that for the big games although might be hard to do these days with the ticket agencies.

We have the same thing too down at Geelong. I would love to see it happen at the G to encourage MCC members who aren't going to go, to release seats, by providing an incentive.

There's always a wedge of MCC at the top there that's empty.

Dare I say, a couple of bays should be changed to general admin?

A possibility is to change the MCC reserve. Make most of the top level public seating and give the MCC more level 1 and 2 seats to make up for it.

We have the same thing too down at Geelong. I would love to see it happen at the G to encourage MCC members who aren't going to go, to release seats, by providing an incentive.

You can't do that. Non-MCC members are not allowed into the MCC Reserve without having a guest pass and attending with an MCC member. They have very strict dress codes and behaviour standards which would preclude the vast majority of the general public from attending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solution is simple: Make it that MCC members have until Wednesday evening to register their intent to attend/acquire tickets otherwise remaining tickets are released for sale to general public.

Solution is simple: Make it that MCC members have until Wednesday evening to register their intent to attend/acquire tickets otherwise remaining tickets are released for sale to general public.

The whole point of being an mcc member is to be able to think that despite the fact you are really just an ordinary nobody who is in no way exceptional , you are somehow better than the average person because you were put on a list 20 years ago and pay a whole $500 a year.

So how is this illusion to be maintained along with the much needed boost to ones self esteem that mcc members need frequently if any man of the street is allowed access to this exclusive hive of high society ?

It simply cant be allowed to happen

Thanks for the photos, particularly the second.

There are 12 bays in the MCC Members Reserve, and its capacity (including standing room) is about 23,000. This means that the capacity of the each bay (all three/four levels) is not quite 2,000. The second photo suggests that along the top of the Ponsford Stand there were 2,000 – 3,000 unused seats.

Dont agree with these figures. There were at least 5000 spare seats in the MCC Members area.

As an AFL member I had to pay a $6 booking fee to reserve a seat so why cant the MCC members do the same. A cut out time could apply and then tickets sold to the general public.

This would then allowed an extra 5000 to attend on Friday night and make it a real full house.

In the Richmond vs Essendon game, in the mcc the last 2-3 bays were 3rd Quarters full (They weren't for the Collingwood-Geelong game, but pretty much the wing was quite empty in the M.C.C.
Don't understand why.

Those bays were opened to the General Public to accomodate the large walk up on the night.

They do this for most games as the MCG where over 60k is expected just not pre ticketed games like last night, anzac day and finals.

It's a shame that the fence at the top of the Ponsford is not "fluid"

I'd have no problem with the MCC being as large as possible if the demand justifies it, but it's a shame that you can't match up demand for seats with what always turns out to be empty seats.

But I guess there is no answer to this issue. It's been going on since the 1984 Grand Final.

As an MCC member I can empathise with passionate supporters who can't get tickets, while Nigel from toorak couldn't give a rats tossbag and decides not to rockup.

But i pay bloody good money and generally attend a match every week, sometimes twice a week. I arrive an hour or so in advance for prime seats and have to suit up for the occasion. I love being in the members and would be dissiapointed if it was compromised.

On the list since birth.

Moved to Darwin when I was young.

Somewhat regret not taking up the interstate membership but I would never have used it.

They put me up early to pay for their stand and wouldn't let me pass on the offer. :thumbsdown:

So I just thought they can shove it.

Still nice to know my dad was thinking about me. So don't be lazy guys if you've got a newborn son run off and sign him up.

I was an MCC member, my Dad put me on the waiting list when i was a kid and i got my membership when i was 18 and let me say, ITS A RIP!!!!!

The MCC is a crock, when i actually sat down and realised why i was paying the money to have to comply with a dress code at an AFL game where everyone wants to display thier club colors and the MCC makes it very hard to do, and the fact i was living in traralgon at the time and not attending as many games as i would like to......i weighed up the benefits of being a MCC member and could count very few!

Yeh there is the bars and museum etc etc, but IMO the AFL Members is just as good if not better! seats are the same just opposite side of the ground, can wear what you want, and let me say the fact that i am only paying just over half of an MCC membership for an AFL membership to attend more games and in some cases bring more guests along with me is the thing that tops the list!

No advantage IMO to being an MCC member apart from saying you are 1.....Sitting in the AFL members stands you still get the feeling of a true AFL Atmosphere instead of sitting around suits who care very little about the game.

But each to thier own i say and if people are happy to pay the extra cash for an MCC membership and wait the 15 years for a restricted membership then a further 8 years to become a full member then ive got no problems in that because thats thier personal business!

P.S.......Ive seen more fights in the MCC members area than anywhere else in the stadium, so much for the "class" of the MCC ;)

But they have already done that by purchasing a membership at the start of each year.

Remove this Banner Ad

88,115 and it was "Sold Out" , All except for the top of the Ponsford Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back